Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New Citizenship Certificate and travel outside of Canada

New Citizenship Certificate and travel outside of Canada

Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice
Question New Citizenship Certificate and travel outside of Canada

Hi all

We took the Oath of Citizenship in February and my husband now has to travel to Seattle for work, having not had time to obtain a Canadian passport.

We have the new Citizenship Certificate but the CIC website says: A citizenship certificate is not a travel document. Any Canadian citizen wanting to travel outside Canada should obtain a Canadian passport.

The question is, if he travels to Seattle on his UK passport will he be able to get back into Canada?

Many thanks

Zoé M.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Citizenship Certificate and travel outside of Canada

Originally Posted by zmartin
Hi all

We took the Oath of Citizenship in February and my husband now has to travel to Seattle for work, having not had time to obtain a Canadian passport.

We have the new Citizenship Certificate but the CIC website says: A citizenship certificate is not a travel document. Any Canadian citizen wanting to travel outside Canada should obtain a Canadian passport.

The question is, if he travels to Seattle on his UK passport will he be able to get back into Canada?

Many thanks

Zoé M.
It wont be a problem, but he has to take the usual steps a british passport holder would have to to travel to the US (ESTA, I94W or whatever).
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Do he still have a valid PR card?
I don't know if you have to give up your PR card in order to take the oath for citizenship.

I'm curious to know if that is the case or not.

Originally Posted by zmartin
Hi all

Many thanks

Zoé M.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
Do he still have a valid PR card?
I don't know if you have to give up your PR card in order to take the oath for citizenship.

I'm curious to know if that is the case or not.
He shouldn't have... you are supposed to hand it over, along with your COPR form when you become a citizen.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What to bring to the citizenship ceremony

You must bring all of your original immigration documents to the citizenship ceremony.

If you have a permanent resident card, you must bring it with you.

If you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002, you must bring your Record of Landing (IMM 1000).

If you have both of those documents, bring both of them to the ceremony.

Basically they will take the PR card away and issue the new certificate.
Until you get a Canadian passport you will have to use the UK one and meet the US requirements to enter i.e ESTA I94 procedures depending on mode of travel to the US.
Suggested timeframes for applicants within Canada
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/service.asp...&region=Canada