New Brunswick PNP Interview

Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:34 pm
  #1  
Canadian Outlaw
Thread Starter
 
RobinHood's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 323
RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all
Default New Brunswick PNP Interview

Trip couldn't have gone better I reckon. I had my business plan looked at - the immigration officer told me how to adjust it to best meet the requirements which was good of her. I now have to fill in all the forms they gave me - but if I get it in quick, we may be looking at moving there next summer (as long as the Federal Government approve my application). I missed the family like heck (as you can imagine) for the 2 weeks - but it was a great experience getting to wander around 2 cities on my own - soaking up the way of life and doing the mandatory 5 day research. It was great wandering into bars - and the locals taking an instant interest in me ("love the accent") and buying me drinks - cool. Imagine my delight been driven home via the M62 last Saturday night (whoopee doo - back to this sh*t-hole).
RobinHood is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:51 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: SW England
Posts: 1,491
Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Originally Posted by RobinHood
Trip couldn't have gone better I reckon. I had my business plan looked at - the immigration officer told me how to adjust it to best meet the requirements which was good of her. I now have to fill in all the forms they gave me - but if I get it in quick, we may be looking at moving there next summer (as long as the Federal Government approve my application). I missed the family like heck (as you can imagine) for the 2 weeks - but it was a great experience getting to wander around 2 cities on my own - soaking up the way of life and doing the mandatory 5 day research. It was great wandering into bars - and the locals taking an instant interest in me ("love the accent") and buying me drinks - cool. Imagine my delight been driven home via the M62 last Saturday night (whoopee doo - back to this sh*t-hole).

Sounds like you had a great time - so you sobered up enough to find your way back to old blighty then.

Good luck with your application!
Craftybanshee is offline  
Old May 1st 2006, 9:15 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 84
susie evans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Originally Posted by RobinHood
Trip couldn't have gone better I reckon. I had my business plan looked at - the immigration officer told me how to adjust it to best meet the requirements which was good of her. I now have to fill in all the forms they gave me - but if I get it in quick, we may be looking at moving there next summer (as long as the Federal Government approve my application). I missed the family like heck (as you can imagine) for the 2 weeks - but it was a great experience getting to wander around 2 cities on my own - soaking up the way of life and doing the mandatory 5 day research. It was great wandering into bars - and the locals taking an instant interest in me ("love the accent") and buying me drinks - cool. Imagine my delight been driven home via the M62 last Saturday night (whoopee doo - back to this sh*t-hole).
We've got our interview on the 18th - bit nervous though! Was it more of an informal meeting or did it feel like a grilling!! So which city did you prefer the fredericton area or the moncton area (just out of interest)
Susie
susie evans is offline  
Old May 1st 2006, 9:43 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
pennyhp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Tillsonburg ON
Posts: 1,001
pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Originally Posted by RobinHood
Trip couldn't have gone better I reckon. I had my business plan looked at - the immigration officer told me how to adjust it to best meet the requirements which was good of her. I now have to fill in all the forms they gave me - but if I get it in quick, we may be looking at moving there next summer (as long as the Federal Government approve my application). I missed the family like heck (as you can imagine) for the 2 weeks - but it was a great experience getting to wander around 2 cities on my own - soaking up the way of life and doing the mandatory 5 day research. It was great wandering into bars - and the locals taking an instant interest in me ("love the accent") and buying me drinks - cool. Imagine my delight been driven home via the M62 last Saturday night (whoopee doo - back to this sh*t-hole).
Hi Robinhood

Glad you had a good trip. Have you decided where you would like to settle?
What kind of business are you planning?
We are at the point of being nominated I think???
NB emailed and asked us to refill in one form and asked for police checks and federal processing fees, so they must be going send it all to London for the final processing.
We sent it back a few weeks ago but havn't heard anything yet.

Pennyhp
pennyhp is offline  
Old May 1st 2006, 10:33 am
  #5  
Canadian Outlaw
Thread Starter
 
RobinHood's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 323
RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Hi Suzie,

I have seen a lot of postings on this board from other NB PNP applicants saying their interview was very short and fairly informal. Mine however was about an hour, my business plan was definitely dissected - and I was informed at the end I was on the borderline of qualification - but that I could proceed. My advice? - be prepared for a serious interview and make sure you convince them you are there to stay in NB and not just trying to queue hop the skilled worker applicants. NB has a problem retaining its PNP immigrants - up to 75% do not stay long term. A lot of the applicants from say Hong Kong or the sub-continent are disappearing to Toronto and Vancouver the minute they get citizenship (which is a bit of a lousy trick - as it is cheating a "stayer" out of a PNP place). Statistically the "stayers" seem to be the Europeans and the Central/South Americans.

We are heading to Saint John - for a few of reasons - proximity to the sea, plenty of work, near to Poly Mountain for skiing, close to the States for tourism, low house prices and beautiful scenery out in the suburbs. I have to admit the most scenic city is without doubt Fredericton coming from Yorkshire I would describe it as the NB equivalent of York whilst SJ is the equivalent of Leeds (not the prettiest/but not ugly either and an industrial powerhouse). SJ looks a lot like Boston and New York in parts - but neither FRD or SJ has crime at the levels we know over here - both cities would be good places to raise a family.

I went to Moncton last year - and have to say it was the only place in NB I experienced traffic on a large scale. It has the largest in-migration (from other Canadians) of any city in the east - so it must be doing something right. Parlee beach nearby - rivals anywhere I've been in the med - and the toilets and facilities were so good you could eat your dinner off them (not that anyone would). However - there is no real downtown and everything seemed really spreadout a bit like the International Drive area of Orlando Florida (Moncton's equivalent is Mountain Road - which leads to the Magic Mountain Theme park). Beyond that I can't really comment apart from saying I drove near to the outlaying areas of Riverview and Dieppe on the way to Hopewell Rocks and these areas looked really nice. Housing is cheaper in MCT but the city is more French/Acadian than the other two (which may or may not be a plus).

There are definately more ex-pats in SJ - I noticed a lot of English accents on both trips - and once you get out of the Fundy Fog Belt the temperatures are very good in the summertime. So of the two - Moncton or Fredericton - I would pick Fredericton but for us SJ (or rather one of the outlying towns of Rothesay, Quispamsis or Hampton) is the place we are going to call home.
RobinHood is offline  
Old May 1st 2006, 10:43 am
  #6  
Canadian Outlaw
Thread Starter
 
RobinHood's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 323
RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Hi Robinhood

Glad you had a good trip. Have you decided where you would like to settle?
What kind of business are you planning?
We are at the point of being nominated I think???
NB emailed and asked us to refill in one form and asked for police checks and federal processing fees, so they must be going send it all to London for the final processing.
We sent it back a few weeks ago but havn't heard anything yet.

Pennyhp
Hey there Penny,

We are off to Saint John (or rather one of the outlying towns of Rothesay, Quispamsis or Hampton) - for a few of reasons: proximity to the sea (my wifes dream - Mispec Beach is really nice), plenty of work, near to Poly Mountain for skiing, close to the States for trips, low house prices and spectacular scenery out by the Kennebacasis. I plan to run a low-overhead IT Consultancy and based on my 5 days research - hey it might just work! I have made a shed load of contacts so hopefully things might get off the ground fairly quickly on landing (if I'm lucky enough to get nominated).
RobinHood is offline  
Old May 1st 2006, 5:42 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 84
susie evans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Originally Posted by RobinHood
Hey there Penny,

We are off to Saint John (or rather one of the outlying towns of Rothesay, Quispamsis or Hampton) - for a few of reasons: proximity to the sea (my wifes dream - Mispec Beach is really nice), plenty of work, near to Poly Mountain for skiing, close to the States for trips, low house prices and spectacular scenery out by the Kennebacasis. I plan to run a low-overhead IT Consultancy and based on my 5 days research - hey it might just work! I have made a shed load of contacts so hopefully things might get off the ground fairly quickly on landing (if I'm lucky enough to get nominated).
Thanks Robinhood that's good advice - we are working away on the business plan as much as we can from this end. Will let you know how we get on.
Susie
Hi Pennyhp - another one of us going for PNP - can I ask what your business plan was? When looking at the timescales do you read it as once you have your PNP (after 4-6months) that the PR then takes a further 9-12 months? How long are you passed your interview date now - it does sound like your PNP is about to be offered. Where are you hoping to go? We're only going out for 9 days and have an awful lot to pack in in that time. We're just looking for a good base to stay for travelling around - any suggestions? Have got two little kiddies with us though!
Susie
susie evans is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:06 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
welyn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Hi folks,
I thought I would chip in and declare myself as another NB PNP applicant. We actually started on the Federal route but delays and risks of changes to the system made us reconsider. We've got our business plan with NB right now and are awaiting an interview date. The folks in the NB PNP office seemed very helpful and approachable - to actually speak to a real person in connection with an immigration application is so refreshing!

I'm planning an HR/Training consultancy which will involve a degree of retraining to obtain the Canadian professional equivalent qualifications but this seems straight forward from my research. I'm interested in others' views on locations too. Fred does look like a lovely place, but is it a place to set up business or just to visit? SJ and MCT certainly seem like the powerhouses (relative term) and MCT has the edge in location with the best beaches and good access to the rest of the Maritimes and Halifax for the airport.

Anyone else looking at a professional services business, please get in touch coz there are bound to be networking opportunities for us all once we arrive out there.
welyn is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:51 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 84
susie evans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Originally Posted by welyn
Hi folks,
I thought I would chip in and declare myself as another NB PNP applicant. We actually started on the Federal route but delays and risks of changes to the system made us reconsider. We've got our business plan with NB right now and are awaiting an interview date. The folks in the NB PNP office seemed very helpful and approachable - to actually speak to a real person in connection with an immigration application is so refreshing!

I'm planning an HR/Training consultancy which will involve a degree of retraining to obtain the Canadian professional equivalent qualifications but this seems straight forward from my research. I'm interested in others' views on locations too. Fred does look like a lovely place, but is it a place to set up business or just to visit? SJ and MCT certainly seem like the powerhouses (relative term) and MCT has the edge in location with the best beaches and good access to the rest of the Maritimes and Halifax for the airport.

Anyone else looking at a professional services business, please get in touch coz there are bound to be networking opportunities for us all once we arrive out there.
It's nice to know there are a fair few of us applying to new brunswick - at least we can all keep in touch regarding our pnp timescales!
Susie
susie evans is offline  
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:25 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
pennyhp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Tillsonburg ON
Posts: 1,001
pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Originally Posted by susie evans
Thanks Robinhood that's good advice - we are working away on the business plan as much as we can from this end. Will let you know how we get on.
Susie
Hi Pennyhp - another one of us going for PNP - can I ask what your business plan was? When looking at the timescales do you read it as once you have your PNP (after 4-6months) that the PR then takes a further 9-12 months? How long are you passed your interview date now - it does sound like your PNP is about to be offered. Where are you hoping to go? We're only going out for 9 days and have an awful lot to pack in in that time. We're just looking for a good base to stay for travelling around - any suggestions? Have got two little kiddies with us though!
Susie
Hi Susie

Our business plan is for a Hobby Farm from which we will run a retail farm shop. We will sell garden pots and ornaments. Jam, tea towels, fudge, gifts etc. Also as a way to bring people to our store we will have some petting animals. LLamas, ponies, etc.
It is not in the business plan, but we have since thought that we would like to have some self catering holiday cabins on the farm.
One of our long term goals is to breed Alpacas.
Hopefully between all of this we can make a living.
Oh and we also intend to buy a couple of rental properties.
Once you are nominated by NB the timescale to be processed at the London vias post for PNP applicants is (according to their website) 30% of cases in 5 months, 50% in 7 months, 70% in 9 months and 80% in 12 months.
I will let you know how quickly we are processed, stage by stage.
We are hoping to settle within a 30 min drive of Moncton.
We like the central feel of the city.
Near to the coast 2 hour drive to the airport.
If we want to do holiday accommodation then it is a good base for people wanting to explore southern NB.
So really we are looking at anywhere from Sackville, Shediac or accross to Petitcodiac.
Finding a good base to explore the region from is quite tricky. It was only on our exploritary trip that I got a propper perspective on distances. We booked into some holiday chalets down in Alma (on the bay of fundy) for quite a chunk of our stay, only to find that it was an hours drive everyday to get out of the park and onto the main highway before going anywhere. So we had to ditch them and get a hotel in Moncton instead.
Sussex is pretty central to St John, fred and Moncton, but I don't think there was much tourist accommodation there.
If you are using hotels you can always checkout and move to another area easily as you decide which areas you are interested in.

It's nice that more people are looking at NB now.

Penny
pennyhp is offline  
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:08 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 84
susie evans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Brunswick PNP Interview

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Hi Susie

Our business plan is for a Hobby Farm from which we will run a retail farm shop. We will sell garden pots and ornaments. Jam, tea towels, fudge, gifts etc. Also as a way to bring people to our store we will have some petting animals. LLamas, ponies, etc.
It is not in the business plan, but we have since thought that we would like to have some self catering holiday cabins on the farm.
One of our long term goals is to breed Alpacas.
Hopefully between all of this we can make a living.
Oh and we also intend to buy a couple of rental properties.
Once you are nominated by NB the timescale to be processed at the London vias post for PNP applicants is (according to their website) 30% of cases in 5 months, 50% in 7 months, 70% in 9 months and 80% in 12 months.
I will let you know how quickly we are processed, stage by stage.
We are hoping to settle within a 30 min drive of Moncton.
We like the central feel of the city.
Near to the coast 2 hour drive to the airport.
If we want to do holiday accommodation then it is a good base for people wanting to explore southern NB.
So really we are looking at anywhere from Sackville, Shediac or accross to Petitcodiac.
Finding a good base to explore the region from is quite tricky. It was only on our exploritary trip that I got a propper perspective on distances. We booked into some holiday chalets down in Alma (on the bay of fundy) for quite a chunk of our stay, only to find that it was an hours drive everyday to get out of the park and onto the main highway before going anywhere. So we had to ditch them and get a hotel in Moncton instead.
Sussex is pretty central to St John, fred and Moncton, but I don't think there was much tourist accommodation there.
If you are using hotels you can always checkout and move to another area easily as you decide which areas you are interested in.

It's nice that more people are looking at NB now.

Penny
Hi Penny,
You know what you've said about your business makes me feel so much better. It seems that there really are alot of different projects that spin off from the hopeful mainstay business plan. Our ideas are now coming thick and fast and at least we now have enough so that at least something should succeed! You never know we could end up on neighbouring hobby farms!! We've now booked a cottage in St. Martins for 4 nights and then we will stay in a hotel in Frederiction for a couple of night and then over to Moncton. I've got to visit family in St. Johns (whom I've never met before) but am hopeful of gaining more ideas.
It all seems so exciting - I just hope they like our business plan and then that's the second hurdle out of the way.
Look forward to hearing of your progress too.
Susie
susie evans is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.