Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need to travel for work but no PR card!

Need to travel for work but no PR card!

Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:23 am
Just Joined

sherman8or is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to travel for work but no PR card!

Hi, trying to get some clarification. I sent my PR card to be renewed last September 2013 it then was sent to a local office in Vancouver, they received it on September 2014 and I have been told that it may take up to a year at this office due to delays in processing! Its all to do with my partner being very close to her recommended days (though she has enough).

Problem is I have to fly to New York from Vancouver next month for a weekend course but am unsure what will happen on my return to Canada. I have a UK passport so theoretically I don't need a visa to enter. My partner has been back to the UK twice and applied for a travel doc and with this had no problems entering country but this takes 5 days to get once at destination and I am only there over weekend.

I have seen on the stickies at top of forum you don't need a PR card if you travel by car over border or if you fly on air Canada but what about other airlines? Can i just land at YVR show my out of date PR card and passport get a bit of a grilling and be allowed back into country or is there a chance they could refuse my entry?

Tried calling up CIC but did not get a solid answer.

Any help and advice please would be great.
cheers
Paul
Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:01 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to travel for work but no PR card!

Originally Posted by sherman8or
Hi, trying to get some clarification. I sent my PR card to be renewed last September 2013 it then was sent to a local office in Vancouver, they received it on September 2014 and I have been told that it may take up to a year at this office due to delays in processing! Its all to do with my partner being very close to her recommended days (though she has enough).

Problem is I have to fly to New York from Vancouver next month for a weekend course but am unsure what will happen on my return to Canada. I have a UK passport so theoretically I don't need a visa to enter. My partner has been back to the UK twice and applied for a travel doc and with this had no problems entering country but this takes 5 days to get once at destination and I am only there over weekend.

I have seen on the stickies at top of forum you don't need a PR card if you travel by car over border or if you fly on air Canada but what about other airlines? Can i just land at YVR show my out of date PR card and passport get a bit of a grilling and be allowed back into country or is there a chance they could refuse my entry?

Tried calling up CIC but did not get a solid answer.

Any help and advice please would be great.
cheers
Paul
Application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad)
Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:37 am
Just Joined

But application for travel doc takes minimum 5 working days I am going to be out of country for 4 days over weekend so applying for travel doc is not an option.

What happens if i just arrive at YVR with UK pasport and out of date PR card?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if i just arrive at YVR with UK pasport and out of date PR card?
You'll be fine, though they might send you for questioning before they let you in.

The important question is whether you'll be able to get on the plane to fly back.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Why would there be a problem getting on a plane if I hold a UK pasport as we are visa exempt?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 7:53 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why would there be a problem getting on a plane if I hold a UK pasport as we are visa exempt?
Because if your flight terminates in Canada, with no outward flight after arrival in Canada, you don't have a valid travel document or proof of current residency (valid PR card or travel document) some carriers refuse boarding to foreign passport holders. Why? if the pax is refused entry to the country, the airline is on the hook for taking them back from whence they came.

The chances may be slim, but the chance is there none the less. The final decision is up to the check in clerk on your return flight.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:02 am
Just Joined

So the best idea would be drive to Bellingham in the US and fly from there, thus I would only need to deal with driving through Canadian customs.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So the best idea would be drive to Bellingham in the US and fly from there, thus I would only need to deal with driving through Canadian customs.
Thats an option you would just need to pay the $6 for the I94 waiver.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 3:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There probably wouldn't be. Really - a visa waiver passport is sufficient documentation for anyone to fly to Canada.

In the million to one chance, where an airline agent causes a problem (no real life cases reported) and it can't be resolved with a supervisor, the worst case scenario is that a. you rent a car and return over the land frontier and b. you (or your employer) sue the airline for damages, breach of contract, etc.

HOWEVER, all this may change in 2015 when the Canadian electronic travel authoritization comes into effect.