Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

In need of some v.important advice ASAP

In need of some v.important advice ASAP

Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

percy1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In need of some v.important advice ASAP

I am over from the UK and have been since october 2009 to come visit my girlfriend of 2 years my visa runs out in April and she is now pregnant and obviously do not want to go home. Im a highly qualified chef have type R C1/D USA visa that expires in 2019 if that makes a difference. I have no job offer as of yet but trying so so hard to get a job offer but the LMO seems to be making it impossible for me to do so. What do i do? please please help me with some easy advice as everything i read or everyone i talk to tells me different THANKS GUYS HOPE TO HERE FROM YOU SOON
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In need of some v.important advice ASAP

Originally Posted by percy1979
I am over from the UK and have been since october 2009 to come visit my girlfriend of 2 years my visa runs out in April and she is now pregnant and obviously do not want to go home. Im a highly qualified chef have type R C1/D USA visa that expires in 2019 if that makes a difference. I have no job offer as of yet but trying so so hard to get a job offer but the LMO seems to be making it impossible for me to do so. What do i do? please please help me with some easy advice as everything i read or everyone i talk to tells me different THANKS GUYS HOPE TO HERE FROM YOU SOON
Regarding finding a job -

You could try contacting [email protected] - they place chefs worldwide including Canada and can assist in getting visa's and work permits.

They are based in Toronto.

Renard International Hospitality Search Consultants
Direct (416) 364-8325, Fax (416) 364-4924

You could also try one of these website for jobs :

http://www.wowjobs.ca/BrowseResults....ve+Chef&s=r&l=

http://www.simplyhired.ca/a/jobs/list/q-executive+chef

Regarding extending your visitors visa -

You can make an application to extend your visitor visa.

If you tell them your girlfriend is pregnant and you wish to remain until the baby is born (a letter showing confirmation of the date of expected delivery would help) they "should" grant you an extension. (You can renew more than once).

You should apply at least 30 days before your present one expires.

You can do this online at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-servi...tend-visit.asp This one has a tool to determine if you are eligible to get an extension

Or by normal downloadable form at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...tions/visa.asp

It will cost $75

You will need to show sufficient funds to support yourself or a letter from your girlfriend (or her parents) stating they will undertake to support you during this period.

Are you intending on applying for PR? Are you intending on getting married? If so, you can also state that you are marrying and will be applying for permanant residency.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 30th 2010 at 6:21 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

percy1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siouxie
Regarding finding a job -

You could try contacting [email protected] - they place chefs worldwide including Canada and can assist in getting visa's and work permits.

They are based in Toronto.

Renard International Hospitality Search Consultants
Direct (416) 364-8325, Fax (416) 364-4924

You could also try one of these website for jobs :

http://www.wowjobs.ca/BrowseResults....ve+Chef&s=r&l=

http://www.simplyhired.ca/a/jobs/list/q-executive+chef

Regarding extending your visitors visa -

You can make an application to extend your visitor visa.

If you tell them your girlfriend is pregnant and you wish to remain until the baby is born (a letter showing confirmation of the date of expected delivery would help) they "should" grant you an extension. (You can renew more than once).

You should apply at least 30 days before your present one expires.

You can do this online at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-servi...tend-visit.asp This one has a tool to determine if you are eligible to get an extension

Or by normal downloadable form at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...tions/visa.asp

It will cost $75

You will need to show sufficient funds to support yourself or a letter from your girlfriend (or her parents) stating they will undertake to support you during this period.

Are you intending on applying for PR? Are you intending on getting married? If so, you can also state that you are marrying and will be applying for permanant residency.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so so much for the information you have provided its an answer that no one seems to be able to give me without a fee!!! The baby wasn't planned but to make a new life with my girlfriend was. I was due to go back in April so i could make some more money to come back. I personally have not got sufficient funds to stay in this country but we are surviving at the moment with the money that my girlfriend is earning (which is not alot). We have a place to live but i'm running out of money hence the need of a job quick!!! How long does this process take and does it really depend on financial circumstances. We do want to get married eventually. Naturally I really don't want to go home to leave my pregnant girlfriend to look after herself. There must be a way, the whole process just seems so so so difficult and frustrating!! Thank you again for this information if i knew who you are i would give you a big fat kiss. xx
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Your US visa is of no value in Caanda. An option is to get married, then get sponsored. Done deal you then get PR if all goes well, assuming she is Canadian or PR in Canada.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a chef then could you not apply as a Skilled Worker? Or if you and your gf have lived together for at least a year (and can prove it), then she could sponsor you as her common-law partner - assuming she's Canadian or a PR, as Aviator said. If you apply outland, it should only take 3-6 months (or even less, recent reports have been 2/3 months on the forum).

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 30th 2010 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:59 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by percy1979
Get married and tarp that load.

Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Get married and tarp that load.
You old romantic.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have sufficient funds to stay here then immigration are going to suspect that you are going to try and work illegally. You have to show you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself and to purchase a ticket to return to the UK. Are her parents able to offer financial support to the two of you?

If your girlfriend has just found out she is pregnant I am guessing that she is probably not more than 2 months along. If I might make a suggestion, why not return to the UK now (before April if your ticket is exchangeable) and work in the UK or elsewhere for 4 months to get sufficient funds together.

That will also give you time to put an application in place for PR under the skilled worker route as "Chef" and "Cook" are on the NOC list at this time. (If you intend to apply as a skilled worker I wouldn't wait too long, the list changes).

You can then return to Canada a couple of months before the baby is due and support your girlfriend, hopefully with a PR application in process.

Your other alternative is to marry her and apply as a spouse.

Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Looks like marriage is your best bet....then once you get PR you can go and get a job and not have to worry about lmo.......Good luck hopefully you may be able to sort something out so you dont have to leave your pregnant girlfriend..