Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need photocopy of marriage certificate?

Need photocopy of marriage certificate?

Old May 10th 2012, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

JakeCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need photocopy of marriage certificate?

Hi Guys,

Just need to double check this I don't know if im reading it wrong but it says on the document checklist of the spousal sponsorship

Photocopy of your marriage certificate1, if you have a co-signer and he or she is your spouse..

I was under the impression that we need to include a photocopy of our marriage certificate even if we don't have a co-signer.. am I missing something? Does that mean I do not need to include my marriage certificate because I don't have a co signer..?
Old May 10th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

carley_jackson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need photocopy of marriage certificate?

Check out the Information Guides in part 3;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../fc.asp#region

I applied from UK and so my marriage certificate was required as part of 22 (Identity and Civil Status documents) on IMM5491.

I did not have a co-signer either and so I left that check box next to 14 on IMM5491 blank.

Hope that helps.
Old May 10th 2012, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carley_jackson
Check out the Information Guides in part 3;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../fc.asp#region

I applied from UK and so my marriage certificate was required as part of 22 (Identity and Civil Status documents) on IMM5491.

I did not have a co-signer either and so I left that check box next to 14 on IMM5491 blank.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Carley, I have photocopied it and added it to my pile! Thanks
Old May 11th 2012, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JakeCanada
Thanks Carley, I have photocopied it and added it to my pile! Thanks
Your Welcome and Good Luck!
Old May 12th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Get the photocopy certified.
The amount of times my application was delayed was a joke because of certain photocopies not being certified or not being certified correctly.
Old May 12th 2012, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
Get the photocopy certified.
The amount of times my application was delayed was a joke because of certain photocopies not being certified or not being certified correctly.
Really? What documents should I get certified? I think I am going to attach all my bills too will those need to be certified? Ill get the certificate certified too anything else i should get certified?
Old May 12th 2012, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Any official documents/certificates that you photocopy like degree/qualification certificates, marriage etc. Im not sure about bills. Immigration are very picky about this.
I got my old school teacher to do them again for free as my lawyer did not do them properly.
Then when I did my federal forms I got my friend(working professional) to certify all photocopies of professional documents again. I can't remember if I did things like payslips. But as it was my friend who signed I think I got him to do them anyway.
Old May 12th 2012, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Any official documents/certificates that you photocopy like degree/qualification certificates, marriage etc. Im not sure about bills. Immigration are very picky about this.
I got my old school teacher to do them again for free as my lawyer did not do them properly.
Then when I did my federal forms I got my friend(working professional) to certify all photocopies of professional documents again. I can't remember if I did things like payslips. But as it was my friend who signed I think I got him to do them anyway.
I wont bother with my bills, but i think ill get my marriage certificate done and birth certificate maybe.. should I get mine and my wifes passport done?
Old May 12th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep. Anything official.
Look at it from this perspective. You don't want to be in a situation I was after waiting three years that they can't process my application further as some documents were not certified properly. So it will be delayed till I get it done and posted back.
Anything that is official that is photocopied, get it certified. Less headache down the line.
Old May 12th 2012, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Yep. Anything official.
Look at it from this perspective. You don't want to be in a situation I was after waiting three years that they can't process my application further as some documents were not certified properly. So it will be delayed till I get it done and posted back.
Anything that is official that is photocopied, get it certified. Less headache down the line.
ok got it Ill get them certified first thing Monday - thanks for your advice - that sucks that they told you after 3 years lol
Old May 12th 2012, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JakeCanada
ok got it Ill get them certified first thing Monday - thanks for your advice - that sucks that they told you after 3 years lol
I also got marriage certificate, birth certificate degree and passport certified by my MP. It's a bit annoying that in the guide it talks about who can certify but not what documents need to be certified exactly.
Old May 12th 2012, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

I also got marriage certificate, birth certificate degree and passport certified by my MP. It's a bit annoying that in the guide it talks about who can certify but not what documents need to be certified exactly.
Yeh they need to be a little more specific - I have an mp who has been helping me out with everything so she wont mind doing it
Old May 12th 2012, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

I saw another form from the immigrants guide called supplementary information -do I need to fill that out also?
Old May 12th 2012, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

IMM5562? We did not use this form for our spousal sponsorship. We did, however, have a 4 page sheet with all of the travelling we have done. I think this form is only required if you are applying via Paris....but you may want to wait for clarification from someone else on here first.
Old May 12th 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

IMM5562? We did not use this form for our spousal sponsorship. We did, however, have a 4 page sheet with all of the travelling we have done. I think this form is only required if you are applying via Paris....but you may want to wait for clarification from someone else on here first.
mmm, i hope its for paris. It doesn't say anything about it on the document checklist..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.