Need a little info

Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Boyee will become famous soon enough
Default Need a little info

Not sure if I am posting this in the right area so I apologize in advance.

I am a Canadian married to and Indian man. We are both christian and were married in a little baptist church in Delhi. Our marriage was registered under the christian marriage act of 1872. We leaned later that there are only 2 or 3 marriage acts that Canada recognizes when it comes to immigration to this country. So we are worried that we need to re-register our marriage under the Special Marriage act of 1954. I contacted several politicians who in turn said that they contacted the immigration department. They said that if our marriage was legal in India then its legal in Canada. Our marriage is legal but will immigration accept our christian marriage act or do we need to register under the Special marriage act of 1954. We dont want to start the spousal sponsorship and be rejected because our marriage was not registered under the right act. Has anyone been through this or know what act is acceptable to immigration? Just dont want to screw things up when I send in the application.
thanks

boyee
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:18 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a little info

For how long have you and your husband been living together? If you've been living together in a conjugal relationship for 12 months or more, you in any case may be able to apply as common-law partners.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question about which Indian marriages Canada does or does not recognize.

I'll ask the moderators if they'll be kind enough to move this discussion thread to the Canada Immigration forum. There probably will be more participants on that forum who will know the answer.
x
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Boyee will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need a little info

My husband and I are not in the same country. He is still in India. We got married on August 14th of this year. We have had a long distance relationship for just about 6 years. I dont think we would fit the category of conjugal since we have only been able to spend 6weeks together when we can get it which is about once every 18 months
We tried to find things out in India but that was just impossible since there really was not anyone we could trust. Anyway I have hear stories if your marriage is not registered right that your application will be likely rejected, so we really need to know what to do before we apply for anything.

thanks
boyee