Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need to know if this affects spousal spons?

Need to know if this affects spousal spons?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Paperwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to know if this affects spousal spons?

When we go to Canada (me as a citizen by decent) I will be the one working as himself can't due to injury. It's not possible that he'll be fit to return to work at any point & it's looking likely that he'll be put on Disability Benefit which is a social assistance payment. I'm wondering if this might affect his chances of being accepted through spousal sponsorship? He wouldn't be claiming any benefits in Canada, he'd be a stay at home Dad.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

matthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to all
Default Re: Need to know if this affects spousal spons?

So the disability benefit is before he comes to Canada?

It's not a problem for spousal spousal sponsorship, but if he were to claim any social assistance in Canada you'd have to pay it back. (I know you said he won't.)

The only thing to be aware of is that they may require proof you will be able to support him. Usually a spousal sponsorship is exempt from any minimum income requirement, but there is a requirement that immigrants either be able and willing to support themselves, or that sufficient support exists to meet their needs. If he's not able to work, they may require more proof than they otherwise would that you'll be able to support him, but as long as you're working that shouldn't be a problem.