Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need help - want to sponsor my irish girlfriend and her son...

Need help - want to sponsor my irish girlfriend and her son...

Old Jul 19th 2002, 12:20 am
Guillaume Metay

Default Need help - want to sponsor my irish girlfriend and her son...

Heya,

I am quite confused about the immigration laws having to do with sponsorship. I am 27
years old canadian and have been living in Montreal all of my life. I have met my
girlfriend in Ireland more than a year ago, have been in Ireland from april to june
and now would like to have a chance to live with her and bring her here. Is it
possible to sponsor a girlfriend? Does girlfriend actually means "fiancee" ? I have
been making quite a good salary for the past few years so I don't think income could
be a problem. How long is the total process time until she could get a permit of
residence from the canadian embassy in Ireland? Could I hope for a
less-than-12-months delay? Last question, would she be able to work as soon as she
arrives in here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as remote relationship is the most painful
thing ever,

Thanks,

TEST- Guillaume

Old Jul 19th 2002, 2:21 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: Need help - want to sponsor my irish girlfriend and her son...

Unfortunately the fiancee class no longer exists, but even when it did fiancee meant
'engaged to be married' not girlfriend and you had to get married within 90 days of
the finacee landing so it was not to be entered into lightly. Really you have 2
options i think, you could try and sponser her as yoru conjugial partner, as long as
youc an demonstrate your relationship has existed for more than a year and show lots
of evidence, however as you appear to have only visited her once and she has never
visited you ( i think) that might be difficult. The other option is to wait till you
get married, and then sponsor her from Ireland, or if possible get her to visit you
and get married in Canada and apply from within Canada in the in canada landing
class. However that depends on how you feel about marriage. i would say though that
if you dont feel ready for that kind of commitment then maybe shed think seriously
about moving country cos thats a pretty big commitment too. anyway aside from that,
she can still come visit you, as you did her. or possibly she could try and get a job
and get a work permit to work in Canada for a while. If she is very qualified (such
as high level of education , lots of work experience, good langauge ability etc) she
could try to apply indipendantly for immigration but that would take a lot longer
than a family class sponsorship. i believe Ireland uses CHC london as its visa office
and they state they try and get any family class sponsorship done in udner 6 months,
however the process is now different and most of the application is processed in
mississuaga on ontario but i believe if anything the new process will be quicker. as
you live in Quebec there are probably extra rules and i dont know anything about
those. but on a basic level you cant really just sponsor your girlfriend to be a PR
of Canada, unles syou can demonstrate its very serious under the new law. under the
old law youd have no even had that choice.

"Guillaume Metayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Heya,
    >
    > I am quite confused about the immigration laws having to do with sponsorship. I am
    > 27 years old canadian and have been living in Montreal all of my life. I have met
    > my girlfriend in Ireland more than a year ago, have been in Ireland from april to
    > june and now would like to have a
chance
    > to live with her and bring her here. Is it possible to sponsor a
girlfriend?
    > Does girlfriend actually means "fiancee" ? I have been making quite a good salary
    > for the past few years so I don't think income could be a problem. How long is the
    > total process time until she could get a permit of
residence
    > from the canadian embassy in Ireland? Could I hope for a
less-than-12-months
    > delay? Last question, would she be able to work as soon as she arrives in here?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated as remote relationship is the most painful
    > thing ever,
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    >
    > TEST- Guillaume

Old Jul 19th 2002, 5:21 pm
Guillaume Metay

Heya,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Well, I have met my girlfriend in july 2001 in Ireland
and stayed in Ireland until september 21. She then came and visited for 10 days in
october, and I went back and visited her in Dublin in december. She came back for a
week in march, and end of march I went in Ireland for about 3 months, until june 5th.
I went back in Ireland from july 3rd to july 16th. You think that would be enough to
prove our relationship? And how to prove, do I need to call Air Canada and issue a
copy of the tickets? Also, what means conjugal partner? Do we need to get married if
we are only conjugal partners? She isnt highly qualified so I don't think she could
get a job without being resident first. You are right, we are trying to avoid getting
married that early, but at least Canada seems to give people like us a chance and
won't force us to get married like other countries do.

Thanks again, I really appreciate.

TEST-- Guillaume

"The Wizzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately the fiancee class no longer exists, but even when it did fiancee
    > meant 'engaged to be married' not girlfriend and you had to get married within 90
    > days of the finacee landing so it was not to be entered into lightly. Really you
    > have 2 options i think, you could try and sponser her as yoru conjugial partner, as
    > long as youc an demonstrate your relationship has existed for more than a year and
    > show lots of evidence, however as you appear to have only visited her once and she
    > has never visited you ( i think) that might be difficult. The other option is to
    > wait till you get married, and then sponsor her
from
    > Ireland, or if possible get her to visit you and get married in Canada and apply
    > from within Canada in the in canada landing class. However that depends on how you
    > feel about marriage. i would say though that if you
dont
    > feel ready for that kind of commitment then maybe shed think seriously
about
    > moving country cos thats a pretty big commitment too. anyway aside from that, she
    > can still come visit you, as you did her. or possibly she could try and get a job
    > and get a work permit to work in
Canada
    > for a while. If she is very qualified (such as high level of education , lots of
    > work experience, good langauge ability etc) she could try to apply
indipendantly
    > for immigration but that would take a lot longer than a family class sponsorship. i
    > believe Ireland uses CHC london as its visa office and they state they
try
    > and get any family class sponsorship done in udner 6 months, however the process is
    > now different and most of the application is processed in mississuaga on ontario
    > but i believe if anything the new process will be quicker. as you live in Quebec
    > there are probably extra rules and i dont know anything about those. but on a basic
    > level you cant really just sponsor your girlfriend to be a
PR
    > of Canada, unles syou can demonstrate its very serious under the new law. under the
    > old law youd have no even had that choice.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Guillaume Metayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Heya,
    > >
    > > I am quite confused about the immigration laws having to do with sponsorship. I
    > > am 27 years old canadian and have been living in
Montreal
    > > all of my life. I have met my girlfriend in Ireland more than a year
ago,
    > > have been in Ireland from april to june and now would like to have a
    > chance
    > > to live with her and bring her here. Is it possible to sponsor a
    > girlfriend?
    > > Does girlfriend actually means "fiancee" ? I have been making quite a
good
    > > salary for the past few years so I don't think income could be a
problem.
    > > How long is the total process time until she could get a permit of
    > residence
    > > from the canadian embassy in Ireland? Could I hope for a
    > less-than-12-months
    > > delay? Last question, would she be able to work as soon as she arrives
in
    > > here?
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated as remote relationship is the most painful
    > > thing ever,
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > >
    > > TEST- Guillaume
    > >
    >

Old Jul 19th 2002, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

hhhh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guillaume,
Best thing is to have your girlfriend phone the Canadian consulate in Dublin and ask a few questions. Ph: (01) 417-4100. Or indeed enquire whether she can drop into their office which is on Stephens Green.

However, I myself am in the PR process stage and while I was preparing my application, the officials in the embassy weren't overtly helpful - in my situation I was constantly referred to the offical website which didn't directly answer my queries; however let's hope they can offer you both some advice.

All immigration applications from Irish citizens are sent to the High Commission in London - which sadly adds waiting time.

All the best, Take it easy,
Hhhh

Last edited by hhhh; Jul 19th 2002 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2002, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Oh incase any other Irish people check this post, if it's of interest my PR application timeline so far:

September 2001 - Submitted application.
October 2001 - Received AOR, Interview required.
December 2001 - Received letter from LHC inviting me to attend an interview in London; as opposed to a longer wait in Dublin. No date fixed. Replied agreeing to such.
July 2002 - Still awaiting Interview date.

Last edited by hhhh; Jul 19th 2002 at 6:16 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2002, 6:20 pm
The Wizzard

Well in a way you are lucky because a new law came into effect on June28th and before
that the only classes for our kind of situations were spouse and fiancee(with a
condition of marriage) so until very recently it was as strict as everywhere else.
they now have these two extra ones being commonlaw partner and conjugal partner. At
first they seem the same, however the commonlaw partner case stipulates that you must
have cohabited for at least a year and the only exceptions are if you were forced
apart by one of the couple being in jail or through some kind of persecution thing
like in some more politicaly unstable countries. So obviously that can only apply to
people whos partner is either with them or they live outside Canada with them. It's
not possible in cases lik eyours to cohabit for your partner for a year i mean the
whole reason you are applying for PR is so they can come and live with you! hehe. So
in the regulations it also defines a conjugal partner. It uses this term first in
relation to the commonlaw partner, basicaly to clarify because commonlaw partner
means different things in different places. However it also uses this term again on
it's own. these are quotes from the regulations:

TEST

117. (1) A foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a
sponsor, the foreign national is:

(a) the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;

--

so there you can see commonlaw partner and conjugal partner are two seperate things,
however by definition a commonlaw partner is also conjugal (which basicaly means they
have sex with each other).

it then defines a conjugal partner as follows:

--

"conjugal partner" means, in relation to a sponsor, a foreign national residing
outside Canada who is in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor and has been in
that relationship for a period of at least one year.

--

So going on that, and by the fact you said you and your partner have been in a
relationship for over a year then you seem to fit all the criteria. Judging by all
the trips you have made as well you can also prove that. For evidence in mine
(although i am married ot my sponsor so not quite as much evidence is needed) i sent
in airline ticket stubs and travel itineraries from travel agents, some letters, and
photogrpahs from the last 3 years showing various trips, me in Canada, her here in
UK, our wedding with family etc. Just to show that its a real genuine relationship.

The only part about yours i don't really know about is the fact you reside in Quebec,
i know indipendant applicants have to get a Certificate Selection Quebec (CSQ) but i
do not know wether its the same proceedure in family cases, perhaps one of the
experts on this group knows, or you can find a link from CIC to the Quebec website
about its seperate immigration rules.

hope that helps a bit

Drew

Old Jul 20th 2002, 1:20 am
Guillaume Metay

Geeze, 9 months so far... Very depressing... But why do you need to have so many
interviews? I tought that the canadian sponsoring someone had to do much of the work?

TEST- Guillaume

"hhhh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi Guillaume, Best thing is to have your girlfriend phone the Canadian consulate in
    > Dublin and ask a few questions. Ph: (01) 417-4100. Or indeed enquire whether she
    > can drop into their office which is on Stephens Green.
    >
    > However, I myself am in the PR process stage and while I was preparing my
    > application, the officials in the embassy weren't overtly helpful - in my situation
    > I was constantly referred to the offical website which didn't directly answer my
    > queries; however let's hope they can offer you both some advice.
    >
    > All immigration applications from Irish citizens are sent to the High Commission in
    > London - which sadly adds waiting time.
    >
    > All the best, Take it easy, Hhhh
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 20th 2002, 1:20 am
Guillaume Metay

Thanks for your help,

Tell me, do you know if there is any other alternative? I seem to remember that after
a certain period of time being in Canada *not working* you can ask for residence. I
mean, let's say my girlfriend was living with me with a visitor VISA, could she then
ask for a permit of residence after a while?

TEST- Guillaume

> The only part about yours i don't really know about is the fact you reside in
    > Quebec, i know indipendant applicants have to get a Certificate
Selection
    > Quebec (CSQ) but i do not know wether its the same proceedure in family cases,
    > perhaps one of the experts on this group knows, or you can find a link from CIC to
    > the Quebec website about its seperate immigration rules.
    >
    > hope that helps a bit
    >
    > Drew

Old Jul 20th 2002, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guillaume,
I have an interview for my Permanent Residence application. I'm not being sponsored by anybody and have no connections to Canada. A bit of a different situation. But none the less ask your girlfriend to make enquiries at the Dublin embassy.

All the best,
hhhh.

Originally posted by Guillaume Metay
Geeze, 9 months so far... Very depressing... But why do you need to have so many
interviews? I tought that the canadian sponsoring someone had to do much of the work?
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 1:20 pm
Guillaume Metay

Ahhh thanks for specyfing that, I tought that you had to go through all this trouble
even when sponsored. I don't want to put too much strain on my girlfriend has she has
a job and son to take care of and couldnt afford to have that many interviews. She's
going to call the Dublin embassy for sure when we get ready to start... Thanks,

TEST- Guillaume

> Guillaume Metay wrote:
    > > Geeze, 9 months so far... Very depressing... But why do you need to
have
    > > so many interviews? I tought that the canadian sponsoring someone had
to
    > > do much of the work?
    >
    > Hi Guillaume, I have an interview for my Permanent Residence application. I'm not
    > being sponsored by anybody and have no connections to Canada. A bit of a different
    > situation. But none the less ask your girlfriend to make enquiries at the Dublin
    > embassy.
    >
    > All the best, hhhh.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 26th 2002, 5:21 pm
Pmm

Hi HHHH

> Hi Guillaume, Best thing is to have your girlfriend phone the Canadian consulate in
    > Dublin and ask a few questions. Ph: (01) 417-4100. Or indeed enquire whether she
    > can drop into their office which is on Stephens Green.
    >
    > However, I myself am in the PR process stage and while I was preparing my
    > application, the officials in the embassy weren't overtly helpful - in my situation
    > I was constantly referred to the offical website which didn't directly answer my
    > queries; however let's hope they can offer you both some advice.
    >
    > All immigration applications from Irish citizens are sent to the High Commission in
    > London - which sadly adds waiting time.
    >
    > All the best, Take it easy, Hhhh

Part of the problem with dealing with Dublin is that there is no Immigration presence
there, so they refer to the web site because they don't have the answers.

PMM

Old Jul 26th 2002, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pmm,
Yeah as i discovered there is very little help from the embassy here in Dublin, which leaves anybody with queries pretty much on their 'tobler'. Also all applications have to go through London which adds time and further waiting lists it's quite a pain - i grant there aren't many people wishing to emmigrate to Canada from Ireland i would still like to see a better service from the embassy here to aid enquries and improve assitance. How and ever, it's no harm for Guilame to ask his girlfriend to contact the embassy by dropping in etc and persue the matter - they may have some luck.

Waiting patiently for her interview,
hhhh