Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need help putting the dots together

Need help putting the dots together

Old Jun 4th 2020, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

ScouseYank is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Need help putting the dots together

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer-

We are beginning our research into possibly moving to AB. We are a family of 6, however our oldest is nearly 18 and would probably choose to continue his education here in the UK. My husband has his Masters in MH nursing and been practicing for 4 years now. I am a US immigrant but have my ILR and will have citizenship for the UK before we move. Ive been a stay at home mom for 10 years nearly.. just now beginning my own business as a hair and mua so my qualifications will not help with our application.
Ive done the tests to see if we qualified for FSW which was a 78 or 93 with a job offer already in place. Took the 2nd test and our points were 436 or 1086 with job offer in place (assuming I've read everything correctly) I've scoured these threads to see what we'd need to do to get his Canadian equivalent in AB for nursing. We know that alone could be a particularly long and expensive process.

I am struggling to find information about the visa side of things. Having been though it before moving to the UK I thought it would be fairly straight forward to navigate but it seems so different to what I've already encountered. I'm assuming the best place to start is to focus on the nursing qualification hurdles first, then apply for the visa to enter Canada to work. I'm assuming as dependants we'd either piggyback on my husband's work visa or would there be a completely different visa to apply for? What would be the costs involved for the visas? Is there a more streamlined process I'm missing? An obstacle I've overlooked or haven't thought of? Any help or guidance would be so appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help putting the dots together

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by ScouseYank
We are a family of 6, however our oldest is nearly 18 and would probably choose to continue his education here in the UK.
Do make sure you include him/her on your application and s/he gets PR, in case they change their mind and want to move. Once they're over 22, you wouldn't be able to sponsor them for PR.

Ive done the tests to see if we qualified for FSW which was a 78 or 93 with a job offer already in place.
Can you double check that? 78 seems quite high as I'd (perhaps incorrectly) assumed your husband is older than 35 with an 18 year old so just want to make sure? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...l#adaptability

Took the 2nd test and our points were 436 or 1086 with job offer in place (assuming I've read everything correctly)
That can't be correct as a job offer is only worth max 200 points (and a nursing job offer would only be worth 50 points). I think you must be looking at provincial nomination rather than a job offer? As that is worth 600 points. Can you double check that points score for us too just in case?

Having been though it before moving to the UK I thought it would be fairly straight forward to navigate but it seems so different to what I've already encountered.
Yep, spousal sponsorship is much easier for most countries (including Canada) rather than a couple applying for an economic/employment based route.

I'm assuming the best place to start is to focus on the nursing qualification hurdles first, then apply for the visa to enter Canada to work.
If you're eligible to apply without a job offer, then I'd personally get that underway first. That's because for every birthday your husband has, his points score will drop as he gets older (unless he's under 30, but as above I assume that's not the case).

But from the CRS score you've given above, you wouldn't be eligible without a job offer anyway, so yes, you'd need to get the nursing certification sorted first.

I'm assuming as dependants we'd either piggyback on my husband's work visa or would there be a completely different visa to apply for? What would be the costs involved for the visas? Is there a more streamlined process I'm missing?
Yes, children aged 21 or under, and spouses, can go on the principal applicants visa application. Cost you're looking at about £10k for the 6 of you with medicals etc, as a rough guide, add on a good chunk more than that for the actual move of course. And if you can apply for EE without needing a job offer/sponsorship, then that is the streamlined process, it's the quickest and easiest route to a visa for you. It'll get more complicated if you do need a job offer/sponsorship/provincial nomination to score enough.

HTH, best of luck.