Need help getting started

Old May 30th 2011, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

mr.rugby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help getting started

Hey folks.

I need some help in getting started. I have trailed through the Canadian immigration website, and I am completely confused. I am considering moving over there, and do not know where to begin at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old May 30th 2011, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help getting started

Originally Posted by mr.rugby
Hey folks.

I need some help in getting started. I have trailed through the Canadian immigration website, and I am completely confused. I am considering moving over there, and do not know where to begin at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the Canadian side of the forum! We're much nicer up here y'know.

A lot easier to move to Canada than the US you'll be pleased to hear, your best bet is to start with the Wiki (blue bar at top of page). Grab a cuppa or a beer, and get reading. Then once you've figured out your best visa option, you can come back and ask questions about it. This page is a good place to start............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

HTH, good luck.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks christmasoompa! I don't want you to think I am trolling the sites, to be honest it has always been a toss up between Canada and the US... Looks like Canada wins
Old May 30th 2011, 6:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks christmasoompa! I don't want you to think I am trolling the sites, to be honest it has always been a toss up between Canada and the US... Looks like Canada wins
No probs. Funnily enough, we get quite a few people that started out in the US forums here!
Old May 30th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Can you start off with applying straight for permanent residency?
Old May 30th 2011, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Can you start off with applying straight for permanent residency?
Depends - some people can, some are not eligible. There are various ways to apply straight for PR from the UK, including family sponsorship, Skilled Worker visa, investor program, self-employed program, etc. But without knowing everything about you it's impossible for us to tell you if you would be able to do that.

Have a read of the Wiki article I gave you and it should point you in the right direction.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

thanks again. i shall definitely be in touch once i take a look around.
Old May 31st 2011, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Turns out I got 70 on my skilled worker visa.... This could potentially be an option. Is there much involved in this? Do I need an immigration consultant etc?

Thanks
Old May 31st 2011, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Turns out I got 70 on my skilled worker visa.... This could potentially be an option. Is there much involved in this? Do I need an immigration consultant etc?

Thanks
Is your occupation definitely on the list of 29 eligible 'occupations in demand'? Just that I thought you were in IT, but there are no IT related occupations on there. If it's not, then regardless of how many points you scored, you are not eligible as a Skilled Worker without a job offer approved by HRSDC I'm afraid.

If your occupation is on 'the list' (http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada), then you can apply and easily do it yourself unless you have complicated circumstances such as a criminal record. Your choice of course, some people prefer to have a consultant do all the form filling and appointment booking for them, but others do not. Best thing to do is download the forms and application guide from the CIC website and then you can see how you feel about doing it yourself.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 31st 2011 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Damn I read that wrong! Why are things so god damn difficult!