British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Need help asap! Thanks. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/need-help-asap-thanks-820607/)

Georger Jan 6th 2014 10:36 pm

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any responses.

I entered Canada as a tourist on dec 27th 2013 and am due to fly home this Wednesday (8th). However, i attended a meeting at Calgary university today to gather information about academic upgrading to allow me to eventually apply for university there. I was surprised to find that there was still time to apply for the upgrading course starting next week. This would actually be an ideal scenario for me and i have all the preparations in order to make it work. My question is this: if i cancel my flight on wednesday is there any action i need to take to avoid being here unlawfully? Further information: the academic upgrading i would be doing does not require a visa, it would be completed in 3 months and i would not be attempting to work during my stay.

Can i simply cancel my flight, stay here the 3 months and complete the upgrading then fly home? Essentially staying here as a tourist?
Or, must schedule a new flight to show i intend to leave after my stay?
Do i need to notify anyone of my change in flight plans?

lastly, i applied for the iec visa and got through to the 2nd stage (creating a my cic account and so on). providing i am allowed to do what i discussed about should i just cancel my application? would i do this via the kompass account or via the cic site? i havent created a log in for this account yet.

Thankyou for responding i really appreciate the help.

I should have mentioned- i am a uk citizen

Aviator Jan 6th 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Need help asap! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Georger (Post 11066294)
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any responses.

I entered Canada as a tourist on dec 27th 2013 and am due to fly home this Wednesday (8th). However, i attended a meeting at Calgary university today to gather information about academic upgrading to allow me to eventually apply for university there. I was surprised to find that there was still time to apply for the upgrading course starting next week. This would actually be an ideal scenario for me and i have all the preparations in order to make it work. My question is this: if i cancel my flight on wednesday is there any action i need to take to avoid being here unlawfully? Further information: the academic upgrading i would be doing does not require a visa, it would be completed in 3 months and i would not be attempting to work during my stay.

Can i simply cancel my flight, stay here the 3 months and complete the upgrading then fly home? Essentially staying here as a tourist?
Or, must schedule a new flight to show i intend to leave after my stay?
Do i need to notify anyone of my change in flight plans?

lastly, i applied for the iec visa and got through to the 2nd stage (creating a my cic account and so on). providing i am allowed to do what i discussed about should i just cancel my application? would i do this via the kompass account or via the cic site? i havent created a log in for this account yet.

Thankyou for responding i really appreciate the help.

Quickest is to go across the border to the US, come back to Canada and hope you get a new permit for another 6 months. I would not cancel your flight until you have done this in case you don't get a 2nd visitor permit.

You cannot just stay here, and leave when it suits you. Once you overstay, you can end up being kicked out and not let back in again.

manitobain Jan 7th 2014 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11066329)
Quickest is to go across the border to the US, come back to Canada and hope you get a new permit for another 6 months. I would not cancel your flight until you have done this in case you don't get a 2nd visitor permit.

You cannot just stay here, and leave when it suits you. Once you overstay, you can end up being kicked out and not let back in again.

..but, in generally you are allowed 6 months if from the UK.. unless the officer when you entered Canada, put a date when to leave into the passport? I am not travelling enough to know if this gets done just at some occasion to certain ppl or is there always an exit date given?

-I would leave the IEC application running...as you never know what occasion/options pop up while studying? ;)

Georger Jan 7th 2014 1:52 am

Thanks for the responses. Can I get some clarification:
I had thought that I may need to leave and re enter to be on the safe side. But is that I my applicable if I've overstayed the 6 months usually granted, or is it just if I overstay based on my optional entry (which would have been from the 27th December to the 8th of jan? What did you mean by getting a new permit? As a uk visitor I didn't need any permit to enter the country (as I'm not workings or studying) and the same applies for the nature of the study I would be understating (as it doesn't require a visa). Did you just mean permit as in the conditions which they allowed me to enter as a tourist? Thanks again for your response.

Georger Jan 7th 2014 1:53 am

What I meant is that would it still be considered an overstay just because it is longer than my original flight return date (even though I have only sorted for 12 days). Thanks

Aviator Jan 7th 2014 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Georger (Post 11066436)
What I meant is that would it still be considered an overstay just because it is longer than my original flight return date (even though I have only sorted for 12 days). Thanks

You are only an overstay if you stay after your entry permit has expired. Nothing to do with your flights.

Aviator Jan 7th 2014 2:07 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 11066411)
..but, in generally you are allowed 6 months if from the UK

Coming from the UK has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Anyone entering Canada as a visitor can get an entry permit for up to 180 days, which is at the discretion of the CBSA officer at the time of entry. It may be usual, but is by no means a a forgone conclusion. Every time one tires to enter as a visitor, one could get the 180 days, get less or not be let in. It is up to the officer at POE.

Georger Jan 7th 2014 3:41 am

Ok so if understand you then if the officer at POE allocated the 180 days (common but not guaranteed) then I would not need to leave and re enter as what I have planned is not in conflict with the rules of being a visitor in Canada?
Or would I still need to leave and re enter? If not - is there any way to ascertain how long I was granted to be here as a visitor without leaving and re entering?

Is there anywhere I can call to discuss my situation?

If neccasary I can leave the country as planned and fly to lax (my connection flight in the USA) but instead of returning to the uk I could book a flight back into Canada and make sure I have permission to stay as long as I need. If I was to go this route, would I list the reason for my visit as study (even though I don't need a study permit to do what I intend?

Sorry to be repetitive - I want to be absolutely certain of what to do so I get it right and go the official/ appropriate route.
Thanks again for your responses- thy have been very helpful.
George.

Aviator Jan 7th 2014 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Georger (Post 11066506)
Ok so if understand you then if the officer at POE allocated the 180 days (common but not guaranteed) then I would not need to leave and re enter as what I have planned is not in conflict with the rules of being a visitor in Canada?

Or would I still need to leave and re enter? If not - is there any way to ascertain how long I was granted to be here as a visitor without leaving and re entering?

When you enter a stamp is put in your passport with the date you must leave by. This is when you have to be out by. If you can do your course before this date is up you are OK. If this is not the case, you would need to re enter and get another visitor permit for up to 180 days to cover the extra time.

Is there anywhere I can call to discuss my situation?
Why would you need to. If you have sufficient time on your entry permit, and what you want to do does not contravene your status, nothing to discuss. If you really must, go to a border crossing or make an appointment.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...fices/help.asp

Used to be a day when you could just turn up and see someone.

If neccasary I can leave the country as planned and fly to lax (my connection flight in the USA) but instead of returning to the uk I could book a flight back into Canada and make sure I have permission to stay as long as I need. If I was to go this route, would I list the reason for my visit as study (even though I don't need a study permit to do what I intend?
No reason why you could not make the journey to KLAX and come back to Canada. If what you are doing looks at all fishy you may be refused, so make your plans carefully. Always tell the truth, it often gets you further. Have information on hand about the course and the timeline, as flight ticket back to the UK after the course would also be helpful.

Georger Jan 7th 2014 4:24 am

Perfect. Thank you for your response it's been brilliant. One last thing- I can't seem to find a date of return on the stamp on my passport- is there any reason why that might be?

Georger Jan 7th 2014 4:28 am

The stamp only shows my entry date- nothing about when I must leave.

Aviator Jan 7th 2014 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Georger (Post 11066520)
The stamp only shows my entry date- nothing about when I must leave.

According to this it is 6 months from the date of entry
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen....asp?q=473&t=4

Georger Jan 7th 2014 5:19 am

Ok great. Thank you so much for your time. Have a great week.

Former Lancastrian Jan 7th 2014 3:31 pm

The stamp would be valid for 6 months after the date stamped so in your case it would expire on 27 June 2014. As no study permit is required for your course you could simply enrol and no need to leave Canada.
You could simply abandon the IEC application.
If you leave Canada at any stage then when you re-enter then it is treated as a new entry and you must meet all of the entry requirements regardless if just arriving last week and being given the 6 months.

manitobain Jan 8th 2014 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11066454)
Coming from the UK has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Anyone entering Canada as a visitor can get an entry permit for up to 180 days, which is at the discretion of the CBSA officer at the time of entry. It may be usual, but is by no means a a forgone conclusion. Every time one tires to enter as a visitor, one could get the 180 days, get less or not be let in. It is up to the officer at POE.

should have been more specific "visa exempted country" was what I was aiming at, as TRV do have expiry dates. Other than that I was right.. if there is no expiry stamp in the passport .. you are good for 6 months.