Need to go home!?

Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need to go home!?

Hi all,

I tried to ask about this in a different thread but it got hijacked by insurance questions..

So let's try this again. I am currently in Canada working on a TWP. It expires at the end of January. I was naively thinking that the IEC 2012 programme would open at the end of 2011 in time for me to apply for a new visa as this one expires.

That is not going to be the case. So I have from now until the end of Jan to figure out a way of not having to return home... I really don't want to go home.

My job.. if it helps at all.. I am a Project Technician as a disaster management company. Basically we make fire safety plans for buildings both in Canada and the US. It is mainly computer based using CAD to design evacuation signs but also involves me going on site audits to check out the buildings. Been working here since March and they don't know when my visa expires or anything (they never asked) so they want me here past January obviously.

Is there any way of me getting another visa/extension in time does anyone know??

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Oh and I know I'm a complete tit for leaving it so late... This year has just seemed to zoom by!!

Thanks,
J.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to go home!?

You say you are currently working on a TWP, is that correct, or are you on a WHV?

You're probably not going to want to hear this (no, I won't call you a tit!), but unfortunately your only option is to either stop working and switch to a visitor visa until you get a second WHV (assuming that's what you are on, instead of a normal TWP), or to get your employer to apply for a LMO so you can get a normal TWP. If you want to go down the latter route, you'll need to get a move on as LMO applications take around 6-10 weeks plus of course the job must be advertised for at least 2 weeks first, so you'll be cutting it very fine.

Whatever you do, don't work without a valid work permit, as that could really scupper any future plans for staying in Canada.

HTH.

Edit: just noticed from your previous posts that you have a Canadian partner, if you are common-law partners then would her sponsoring you for PR be an option? You wouldn't have it through before the end of January now, but it could be a good back up plan.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 8th 2011 at 4:37 am.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You say you are currently working on a TWP, is that correct, or are you on a WHV?

You're probably not going to want to hear this (no, I won't call you a tit!), but unfortunately your only option is to either stop working and switch to a visitor visa until you get a second WHV (assuming that's what you are on, instead of a normal TWP), or to get your employer to apply for a LMO so you can get a normal TWP. If you want to go down the latter route, you'll need to get a move on as LMO applications take around 6-10 weeks plus of course the job must be advertised for at least 2 weeks first, so you'll be cutting it very fine.

Whatever you do, don't work without a valid work permit, as that could really scupper any future plans for staying in Canada.

HTH.

Edit: just noticed from your previous posts that you have a Canadian partner, if you are common-law partners then would her sponsoring you for PR be an option? You wouldn't have it through before the end of January now, but it could be a good back up plan.
My mistake.. Yeah its a WHV. I am hoping to be able to keep working.. I would never work illegally as that would just screw things up for me long turn.. as well as be pretty dumb on my part!

The LMO route is the one I am looking at more and more. I know I will need to get a real shift on.. Do you know how the whole advertising the job for 2 weeks thing works? Like is it often that someone else comes along and takes the job away from you kind of thing? That would really suck if that was to happen..

Oh and yes my long term goal is to have my partner sponsor me for PR.. but for now I need a short term fix.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
The LMO route is the one I am looking at more and more. I know I will need to get a real shift on.. Do you know how the whole advertising the job for 2 weeks thing works? Like is it often that someone else comes along and takes the job away from you kind of thing? That would really suck if that was to happen..
If you want to keep working, then your only option is a LMO anyway (unless by some miracle next year's IEC is opened in the next week or so, but I doubt it v much), so you may as well give it a shot if your employer will agree.

The job must be advertised, and you need to keep your fingers tightly crosssed that no suitable Canadian applies. Once it's been advertised, your employer will then apply for the LMO and hopefully it will be positive so you can get a normal TWP.

Your employer doesn't have to employ anybody that applies, but if somebody suitable does apply, the LMO would be rejected.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you want to keep working, then your only option is a LMO anyway (unless by some miracle next year's IEC is opened in the next week or so, but I doubt it v much), so you may as well give it a shot if your employer will agree.

The job must be advertised, and you need to keep your fingers tightly crosssed that no suitable Canadian applies. Once it's been advertised, your employer will then apply for the LMO and hopefully it will be positive so you can get a normal TWP.

Your employer doesn't have to employ anybody that applies, but if somebody suitable does apply, the LMO would be rejected.
I will have to talk to my employer then! And keep all fingers/toes and everything else crossed. So does my employer have to submit all the applicants details when they apply for the LMO?

Thanks for all your help! Its much appreciated. Am really regretting taking my eye off the ball with the time period involved!!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

I'd advise reading up on what is required to apply for LMO and get a package together for your employers.

It may be something they do all the time, but i may not be, and if they aren't expecting this you want to make it as small an issue as possible.