Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need Citizenship Application Advice

Need Citizenship Application Advice

Old Feb 21st 2015, 8:03 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need Citizenship Application Advice

Evening All.

We are almost about to submit our Citizenship Application but I have a query regarding the residency calculator that you have to attach with the Application.

We landed as PR's in August 2009 but had to go back to the UK for my husband to finish his time in the military's; eventually coming back here to live in February 2012. In between this period we came over on various vacation's.

On the Residency calculator it asks you to put in the date you became PR and then the date you came to Canada to live - now if I put in the date's above it tells me that "The date you first came to Canada must be the same as or before the date you became PR".

So, should I be putting the same dates in each box, ie, 14 Feb 2012 - the day we moved here permanently, or, 1 Aug 2009?

I don't want this to be messed up. Has anyone else been in this situation before?

Thanks guys.

Karen
Old Feb 21st 2015, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Citizenship Application Advice

Hi Karen.

In our application we put the date we first came to live in Canada as the day we first became a PR even though we also returned home for 2 years before moving to Canada permanently. We applied 9 months ago still waiting for test.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 12:55 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kazbob
On the Residency calculator it asks you to put in the date you became PR and then the date you came to Canada to live - now if I put in the date's above it tells me that "The date you first came to Canada must be the same as or before the date you became PR".
The reason this is here is for people who lived in Canada on work/study permits before they became PRs. Until the new rules come in they are able to count the days on work/study permits that they were in Canada as half days for the purposes of meeting the citizenship physical presence requirement.

As you weren't in Canada on a work or study permit beforehand I would agree to just make it the same day as you became a PR.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:55 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BTJ
The reason this is here is for people who lived in Canada on work/study permits before they became PRs. Until the new rules come in they are able to count the days on work/study permits that they were in Canada as half days for the purposes of meeting the citizenship physical presence requirement.

As you weren't in Canada on a work or study permit beforehand I would agree to just make it the same day as you became a PR.
1. Actually under the present act time as a visitor prior to PR counts as half time for citizenship
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 12:02 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies.

So just to clarify for my benefit - I should put the earlier date of August 2009 in both boxes and then account for our visit's to Canada and the reason for going back to the UK?

TIA
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 10:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
Thank you for your replies.

So just to clarify for my benefit - I should put the earlier date of August 2009 in both boxes and then account for our visit's to Canada and the reason for going back to the UK?

TIA
Yes. Exactly.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:23 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Kaz

We did exactly the same as you are proposing....... We used our very first date we landed in Halifax and on our list of absences we including a very long one back to UK of several hundred days plus lots of others to the US.

They scrutinised our list of absences very closely at the interview and checked off each stamp date in our passport against each line on our absence record...... there were a few they couldn't find in our passports of course because we travelled to US twice within the same I94 waiver period.

Good luck with your application