British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   In need of assistance! (PR application type) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/need-assistance-pr-application-type-943885/)

jonmroberts1984 May 8th 2022 10:34 pm

In need of assistance! (PR application type)

Firstly this is a great resource, I've been reading through the threads and they have been really heplful, my situation probably isn't as complex as some but after going through the forms we have filled in tonight and thinking we would apply under family class, we've started looking at temporary visas and open work permits which has taken us down a rabbit hole!

Our situation
37yr old male (myself) - UK Citizen and residing in UK, married to 32yr old female - UK and Canadian Citizen, my wife currently resides with me in the UK and has done for the past 5 years, but she has been offered a job in Canada starting in September to will be moving back to Victoria, BC in late August. I currently work as an IT manager in the UK making approx £45,000 per year and her new job in Victoria will pay $83,000 CAD per year.

I was under the impression that as I will not be living in Canada when I apply for PR, it would have to be family class (I would continue working for my current employer here to keep money coming in until I got PR and with it permission to apply for jobs in Canada) - but doing a bit of reading I may be able to apply for an open work permit on a temporary visitor VISA (eTA) and live and work in Canada (for 6 months at a time judging by the eTA) whilst my PR is being processed.

It doesn't really matter either way, if I had to wait outside of Canada for my PR to be processed I was going to spend 6 months a year there on/off whilst continuing to work remotely, with permission, for my current employer - but the number of forms is daunting and we want to do this the best way possible. So I guess my main question is can I go down the spousal sponsorship route or does it have to be family class?

The other issue is that obviously my wife and I will not technically be living together when she moves out in late August, but at the time of filling in the forms now, she is living here, we are wondering if it's better not to send off the forms until August when she will be officially living and working in Canada again, which will make the form more straightforward. As I bet by the time they come to process it she will be living and working there anyway!

The other issue - I'm not sure if anyone has dealt with this - is if you have a Canadian partner who is trying to get a mortgage, can they include a non-citizens income as part of their application, for example if I paid £1500 into her Canadian bank account every month would this count as an income stream for her?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble we've been filling in all the forms for the past 2-3 hours so my heads like mush! Any other advice or tips would be much appreciated.

PMM May 9th 2022 2:17 am

Re: In need of assistance! (PR application type)

Hi

Originally Posted by jonmroberts1984 (Post 13113248)
Firstly this is a great resource, I've been reading through the threads and they have been really heplful, my situation probably isn't as complex as some but after going through the forms we have filled in tonight and thinking we would apply under family class, we've started looking at temporary visas and open work permits which has taken us down a rabbit hole!

Our situation
37yr old male (myself) - UK Citizen and residing in UK, married to 32yr old female - UK and Canadian Citizen, my wife currently resides with me in the UK and has done for the past 5 years, but she has been offered a job in Canada starting in September to will be moving back to Victoria, BC in late August. I currently work as an IT manager in the UK making approx £45,000 per year and her new job in Victoria will pay $83,000 CAD per year.

I was under the impression that as I will not be living in Canada when I apply for PR, it would have to be family class (I would continue working for my current employer here to keep money coming in until I got PR and with it permission to apply for jobs in Canada) - but doing a bit of reading I may be able to apply for an open work permit on a temporary visitor VISA (eTA) and live and work in Canada (for 6 months at a time judging by the eTA) whilst my PR is being processed.

It doesn't really matter either way, if I had to wait outside of Canada for my PR to be processed I was going to spend 6 months a year there on/off whilst continuing to work remotely, with permission, for my current employer - but the number of forms is daunting and we want to do this the best way possible. So I guess my main question is can I go down the spousal sponsorship route or does it have to be family class?

The other issue is that obviously my wife and I will not technically be living together when she moves out in late August, but at the time of filling in the forms now, she is living here, we are wondering if it's better not to send off the forms until August when she will be officially living and working in Canada again, which will make the form more straightforward. As I bet by the time they come to process it she will be living and working there anyway!

The other issue - I'm not sure if anyone has dealt with this - is if you have a Canadian partner who is trying to get a mortgage, can they include a non-citizens income as part of their application, for example if I paid £1500 into her Canadian bank account every month would this count as an income stream for her?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble we've been filling in all the forms for the past 2-3 hours so my heads like mush! Any other advice or tips would be much appreciated.

1. You are over complicating it. Spousal sponsorship is family class.
2. Your spouse is a Canada citizen and she could start the processing a family class application now. She includes an appointment letter for the job commencing in September with her sponsorship
3. You will not be entitled to an open work if you come as visitor , you can work remotely for your employer, as long as there is no Canadian presence or Canadian clients.
4. The forms you want are here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-children.html

jonmroberts1984 May 9th 2022 7:35 am

Thanks that’s great.

As she will be living in Canada by August and working there by September, with our application not likely being sent until June.. is it worth her filling in the form to that effect? Or should we put that she’s living with me in the Uk even though by the time Canadian immigration receive the form that will be out of date? Thanks

christmasoompa May 9th 2022 7:41 am

Originally Posted by jonmroberts1984 (Post 13113302)
Thanks that’s great.

As she will be living in Canada by August and working there by September, with our application not likely being sent until June.. is it worth her filling in the form to that effect? Or should we put that she’s living with me in the Uk even though by the time Canadian immigration receive the form that will be out of date? Thanks

You fill it in as it is at the time, so say that she's living with you in the UK.

Just checking, but you're legally married? Just wanted to check as sometimes people refer to a common-law spouse as their wife/husband, and that application has different requirements.

Welcome to BE and good luck with the application.