Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need Advice on Where to Go in Canada

Wikiposts

Need Advice on Where to Go in Canada

Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

bhartiamit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Advice on Where to Go in Canada

Ok, so now that it sunk it that we have the process completed (wheeeeee) we need to now decide where to move. Basically both I and my husband are IT professionals and we both would like to work there.
Now, we'd like some input from all you wonderufl people here as to what towns are a good option.
Based on my research, I have found that if one is not used to SEVERE weather conditions then VANCOUVER is the place to be. However, i heard that the salaries in Vancouver are not that high and jobs are scarce. It appears that TORONTO is a better place to go in terms of job etc but then it has extreme weather and the cost of living is higher? I personally have fallen in love with MONTREAL too but for that we have to first land in Toronto or somewhere since Montreal is in Quebec. But details about montreal will also be appreciated
Essentially i guess i have the same questions everyone does... what is a good place that has a balance of everything.
Also, what is the average cost of living there if one wants to buy a house? We don't have kids at this point. I know that no one can give specifics but a general idea will be appreciated.
Thanks a Bunch and God Bless....
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:14 am
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice
Default Re: Need Advice on Where to Go in Canada

Originally Posted by bhartiamit
Ok, so now that it sunk it that we have the process completed (wheeeeee) we need to now decide where to move. Basically both I and my husband are IT professionals and we both would like to work there.
Now, we'd like some input from all you wonderufl people here as to what towns are a good option.
Based on my research, I have found that if one is not used to SEVERE weather conditions then VANCOUVER is the place to be. However, i heard that the salaries in Vancouver are not that high and jobs are scarce. It appears that TORONTO is a better place to go in terms of job etc but then it has extreme weather and the cost of living is higher? I personally have fallen in love with MONTREAL too but for that we have to first land in Toronto or somewhere since Montreal is in Quebec. But details about montreal will also be appreciated
Essentially i guess i have the same questions everyone does... what is a good place that has a balance of everything.
Also, what is the average cost of living there if one wants to buy a house? We don't have kids at this point. I know that no one can give specifics but a general idea will be appreciated.
Hi bhartiamit,
you would do a lot better posting this in the Canadian lifestyle and culture forum. Try doing a search there as the same question has come up a number of times. There is a lot of advice about IT work there too.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:59 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Victoria (capital of BC) on Vancouver Island. Better climate than Vancouver and booming IT industry.

Originally Posted by bhartiamit
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly its a bit mind boggeling that you could reach this stage and be asking the question!

This has come up too many times in the lifestyle area, and the short answer is "We would be nuts to try and tell you where to live, as we know nothing about your interests and employment prospects, and you would be nuts to listen to anyone but your own gut feeling."

You are right, Vancouver is expensive and jobs are hard to find. IT is not in good shape anywhere really. Toronto (well GTA) is the main IT area, but is also relatively expensive. Some of the regular posters who work in IT are in Calgary too, and Ottawa is also a posibility. For a smaller town RIM in the London area are looking for people, but its at the $35k end of the market (typical new to canada IT salary I'm afraid).

Weather is a relative thing, you get used to it and it becomes normal. Personally I couldnt stand the grey miserable winter weather on the West (Wet) coast now, I'd rather have it cold and sunny, but then I'm not you. Best advice is go wherever you can get a job, get canadian experience and then move elsewhere if you dont like it where you end up.

Generally this question is now answered with a sarchastic "Iqaluit" in the lifestyle forum. This site seems to work best if you narrow down your search to a few likely areas and then try and get answers on specific regional questions from the members who have first hand experience.

Sorry to be so negative, good luck with the search.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 7th 2005 at 1:59 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Frankly its a bit mind boggeling that you could reach this stage and be asking the question!

This has come up too many times in the lifestyle area, and the short answer is "We would be nuts to try and tell you where to live, as we know nothing about your interests and employment prospects, and you would be nuts to listen to anyone but your own gut feeling."

You are right, Vancouver is expensive and jobs are hard to find. IT is not in good shape anywhere really. Toronto (well GTA) is the main IT area, but is also relatively expensive. Some of the regular posters who work in IT are in Calgary too, and Ottawa is also a posibility. For a smaller town RIM in the London area are looking for people, but its at the $35k end of the market (typical new to canada IT salary I'm afraid).

Weather is a relative thing, you get used to it and it becomes normal. Personally I couldnt stand the grey miserable winter weather on the West (Wet) coast now, I'd rather have it cold and sunny, but then I'm not you. Best advice is go wherever you can get a job, get canadian experience and then move elsewhere if you dont like it where you end up.

Generally this question is now answered with a sarchastic "Iqaluit" in the lifestyle forum. This site seems to work best if you narrow down your search to a few likely areas and then try and get answers on specific regional questions from the members who have first hand experience.

Sorry to be so negative, good luck with the search.
I tend to agree....my mind boggles as to how people can want to immigrate to a country without finding out the essentials first and even visiting that country..i have read in this forum of people applying for immigration....and they haven't even been to that country....!!!!!..
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine spent over 3 years in Ottawa. According to him, most of the jobs are related to Govt sector there ,and most of them demand Citizenship ( Citizenship and PR are two totally different things) and Security Clearance. Still its a nice place to live.

I think 35K salary is not bad to start with . Better than sitting home for 6 months , sending resumes all over and getting frustrated. I am sure with Canadian Experience , after some time (say 6-8 months), one can look for a better job.. anywhere in Canada.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:54 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
I tend to agree....my mind boggles as to how people can want to immigrate to a country without finding out the essentials first and even visiting that country..i have read in this forum of people applying for immigration....and they haven't even been to that country....!!!!!..
Ditto! I couldn't imagine dumping my whole life and moving to somewhere that I had never even visited. Crumbs it took us countless trips to lots of areas in Canada before we even decided that this was the country for us, never mind which province we were to end up in.

Maybe we are all not so brave as the original poster???

Or maybe we had more to lose??
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

bhartiamit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for all your wonderful suggestions... I'll keep looking and keep u posted
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Ditto! I couldn't imagine dumping my whole life and moving to somewhere that I had never even visited. Crumbs it took us countless trips to lots of areas in Canada before we even decided that this was the country for us, never mind which province we were to end up in.

Maybe we are all not so brave as the original poster???

Or maybe we had more to lose??
hmm interesting comments here.
What makes one, move to a country they have never visited. ? is it an escape from where they are. ? I do hope that if people are compelled to make such a move it all works out for them. *S*

I know i have lived a fortunate life in Australia. And try as i will to not take it for granted- i am sure i do. I have clean water, great food, great education, great social structure and also......a great country that has much to offer..beautiful beaches...rain forests, water falls..etc etc.

My own situation is i am moving for love. I never dreamed in a million years i would be even thinking about leaving Australia on a long term basis. But love is the motivator.
I believe we take our own influences with us. I know some have moved and gone back to there home countries. And maybe one day i will with my new family. But for now..canada it is.
I have nothing to lose...nothing to escape from..just a wonderful new life
ahead in a beautiful country..i am indeed fortunate *S*