Need Advice

Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:51 am
Just Joined

JaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant future
Default Need Advice

I finally decided last week after lots of talking about doing it that I would finally seriously look into moving to Canada. I've read through several posts on these forums and have read the Wiki and it seems that the only category open to me is to apply as a Skilled Worker so I took the test on the CIC website and only scored 56 points as below:

Factor Maximum Points Your Score
1 Education 25 5
2 Language Ability 24 20
3 Work Experience 21 21
4 Age 10 10
5 Arranged Employment 10 0
6 Adaptability 10 0
Total Score 100 56

Unfortunately, I am currently 11 points short but that is not my biggest problem. While I score maximum points for work experience, none of it is of a high enough level to pass the first stage. I am an administrator/customer service agent by trade but none of my experience is at skill levels A or B which means that my application would be refused outright, I believe.

Can anybody here give me some tips or advice as to how I might improve things.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:09 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Advice

Originally Posted by JaffaMafia
I finally decided last week after lots of talking about doing it that I would finally seriously look into moving to Canada. I've read through several posts on these forums and have read the Wiki and it seems that the only category open to me is to apply as a Skilled Worker so I took the test on the CIC website and only scored 56 points as below:

Factor Maximum Points Your Score
1 Education 25 5
2 Language Ability 24 20
3 Work Experience 21 21
4 Age 10 10
5 Arranged Employment 10 0
6 Adaptability 10 0
Total Score 100 56

Unfortunately, I am currently 11 points short but that is not my biggest problem. While I score maximum points for work experience, none of it is of a high enough level to pass the first stage. I am an administrator/customer service agent by trade but none of my experience is at skill levels A or B which means that my application would be refused outright, I believe.

Can anybody here give me some tips or advice as to how I might improve things.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Study and get a degree while you are waiting in the queue or obtain a job on a work permit, start working and submit the PR application then with added points for arranged employment etc etc. Search threads for AE lots of them around.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:18 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Tangram
Study and get a degree while you are waiting in the queue or obtain a job on a work permit, start working and submit the PR application then with added points for arranged employment etc etc. Search threads for AE lots of them around.
You should note that they would be applying under the SAP and the application states that you must meet all criteria at the time of application. If they don't qualify now, their upgrades in education will not be considered when the application is opened in 2/3 years.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: Need Advice

am i to understand that when you send all your info down with all the forms, that they open it all up, look it over, count up your points, then put it all back, and put it in a pile, where it will sit for at least 3 years then?

mike
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:25 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You should note that they would be applying under the SAP and the application states that you must meet all criteria at the time of application. If they don't qualify now, their upgrades in education will not be considered when the application is opened in 2/3 years.
Good point. Get a job it is then.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:31 am
Just Joined

JaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant futureJaffaMafia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tangram
The only problem with that suggestion is that I have studied. I spent 5 1/2 years at university studying two different degrees and didn't finish either - life has a nasty habit of intruding when you are a mature student!!

Besides, as has already been pointed out, the points that my application scores are based on my skills etc at the time I made the application, I could study and get a Phd in the time it would take to process the application but it wouldn't affect the final score on my application one little bit!! And tbh it's not the education score that is the biggest problem it's my lack of the right sort of work experience, which, presumably, would also affect my chance of getting a job that would give me an LMO.

Thanks for the help so far.
Steve