Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which is the nearest US border from Edmonton for Re-entry with PR visa

Which is the nearest US border from Edmonton for Re-entry with PR visa

Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Josephparappally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which is the nearest US border from Edmonton for Re-entry with PR visa

Hi,

We are presently working in Edmonton with WP status. Our PR visa arrived from London. So we need a Re-entry with PR visa. Kindly give advice, and tell me which is the nearest border for us from Edmonton. Shall we need US visa for crossing border? We are Indian national. Is there any transport facility available from Edmonton? Kindly help me and I need good advice.

Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:23 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is the nearest US border from Edmonton for Re-entry with PR visa

If you've applied for PR from within Canada and have been in Canada for a year, you can activate your PR status at Canada Place in Edmonton. See rabrol's account in the thread entitled Canada Place in Edmonton - our landing experience!

If the above circumstances don't apply to you, you'll have to leave Canada altogether. The nearest Canada-US border crossing is not all that close to you. If you head south from Edmonton on Queen Elizabeth II Highway, it'll take you 6 hours (not counting stops) to reach the Alberta-Montana border. There is no bus service that I am aware of that takes you there. You'll either need to drive there (in a rented car if necessary) or fly to a US city.

Since you're a citizen of India, you'll need a visa to enter the US.

It would be quite a hassle for you to leave Canada and return. I'd be interested to hear from the forum's immigration experts what your chances are of being able to activate your PR status in Edmonton. That is, if my memory is correct you haven't been in Canada for a year. So, if the rules that rabrol mentioned are still in place, you ordinarily wouldn't be eligible to go through the "landing" process in Edmonton. But I wonder if the Canadian government would take into consideration how difficult it would be for you, as a citizen of India, to get to the US, and if they'd allow you to "land" in Edmonton.
x
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Which is the nearest US border from Edmonton for Re-entry with PR visa

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you've applied for PR from within Canada and have been in Canada for a year, you can activate your PR status at Canada Place in Edmonton. See rabrol's account in the thread entitled Canada Place in Edmonton - our landing experience!

If the above circumstances don't apply to you, you'll have to leave Canada altogether. The nearest Canada-US border crossing is not all that close to you. If you head south from Edmonton on Queen Elizabeth II Highway, it'll take you 6 hours (not counting stops) to reach the Alberta-Montana border. There is no bus service that I am aware of that takes you there. You'll either need to drive there (in a rented car if necessary) or fly to a US city.

It would be quite a hassle for you to leave Canada and return. I'd be interested to hear from the forum's immigration experts what your chances are of being able to activate your PR status in Edmonton. That is, if my memory is correct you haven't been in Canada for a year. So, if the rules that rabrol mentioned are still in place, you ordinarily wouldn't be eligible to go through the "landing" process in Edmonton. But I wonder if the Canadian government would take into consideration how difficult it would be for you, as a citizen of India, to get to the US, and if they'd allow you to "land" in Edmonton.
x
We are here in Canada only one month with WP. Working in Fort Mc Murray in Health service section as registered nurse.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

x
We applied for our PR visa from Dubai (UAE). So Processing was in London CHC.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:13 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to drive to the border and take the so-called flagpole route to re-enter Canada. You do not need a visa because you will not be legally admitted to the USA. Instead they will give you a form showing that you were present in the ISA but not admitted. With that form you return to Canada and present your passports with visas and COPR forms to the Canadian Border Service agents.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You will have to drive to the border and take the so-called flagpole route to re-enter Canada. You do not need a visa because you will not be legally admitted to the USA. Instead they will give you a form showing that you were present in the ISA but not admitted. With that form you return to Canada and present your passports with visas and COPR forms to the Canadian Border Service agents.
Thank you for your reply. We are in Fort Mc Murray so kindly tell me the name of Border. I don't have driving license so can I hire a Taxi? The US border is it near from Edmonton or Calgary? Is there any border near Fort Mc murray?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:28 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

What????!!!!!!

You are living in Canada, just got PR visa and you know nothing about Canada's geography? Look into the atlas and you'll see, go to Google Maps and look for directions from Fort McMurray to Coutts (the closest US border crossing) and you'll see that it is 1,052 km of driving just to get to the border.

Yeah, take a cab...

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Apr 28th 2008 at 3:39 pm.
Old May 10th 2008, 12:46 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Josephparappally
Thank you for your reply. We are in Fort Mc Murray so kindly tell me the name of Border. I don't have driving license so can I hire a Taxi? The US border is it near from Edmonton or Calgary? Is there any border near Fort Mc murray?
For your sake I hope you're kidding

If you're in Fort McMurray it's probably about a 10 hour drive (maybe more) to get to the nearest border with the US. The border would be south of Calgary, and Calgary is about a 7-8 hour drive from Fort McMurray.

So no.... I don't think you'd be taking a cab unless of course you plan on selling your house! You could probably take a bus (Red Arrow or Greyhound) to get you to the town closest the border, or you could fly it's probably be easier.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

hodaraffa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Josephparappally
Hi,

We are presently working in Edmonton with WP status. Our PR visa arrived from London. So we need a Re-entry with PR visa. Kindly give advice, and tell me which is the nearest border for us from Edmonton. Shall we need US visa for crossing border? We are Indian national. Is there any transport facility available from Edmonton? Kindly help me and I need good advice.

Thanks
------------------------------------
Hi,
regarding your above questions, where did u do the landing finally cuz we need to do our landing too soon from edmonton.. did u need a visa to USA ?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hodaraffa
------------------------------------
Hi,
regarding your above questions, where did u do the landing finally cuz we need to do our landing too soon from edmonton.. did u need a visa to USA ?
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada