Wikiposts

nationality

Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:47 am
Just Joined

singing_potters is an unknown quantity at this point
Question nationality

Hi everybody,

I have been reading this forum for a couple of months now and find it extremely helpful and informative.
Today I decided to join the forum as I have a question that has been mentioned, but not really answered.

My husband (Canadian citizen, UK resident) and I (Latvian citizen, UK resident) are planning to move to Canada early next year and as we would hate to be apart, I will go there on Visitors Visa and do an inland application.
Mr Andrew Millar and others have mentioned before that you must honestly declare your intentions on Canadian border AND as long as you are a certain national (I guess, of a developed, "reliable" country - meaning, people from this country does not create immigration problems etc.) you should be able to get through no problem. I have no idea what opinion Canadian Immigration hold on Latvians. Are there countries that are viewed with more suspicion than others?
Maybe it is boring for some, but at the moment I am not sure if it is a good idea at all to tell my intentions upfront at the border...

Any ideas?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:34 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nationality

Why won't you guys start sponsorship process right now from UK?

Canadian citizens can sponsor their spouses while still residing outside Canada, as long as they provide sworn declaration of intention to move back to Canada once sponsored spouse gets visa.

If you get lucky you may get approved before move, but even if not then having already pending application will help with getting admitted.

Originally Posted by singing_potters
Hi everybody,

I have been reading this forum for a couple of months now and find it extremely helpful and informative.
Today I decided to join the forum as I have a question that has been mentioned, but not really answered.

My husband (Canadian citizen, UK resident) and I (Latvian citizen, UK resident) are planning to move to Canada early next year and as we would hate to be apart, I will go there on Visitors Visa and do an inland application.
Mr Andrew Millar and others have mentioned before that you must honestly declare your intentions on Canadian border AND as long as you are a certain national (I guess, of a developed, "reliable" country - meaning, people from this country does not create immigration problems etc.) you should be able to get through no problem. I have no idea what opinion Canadian Immigration hold on Latvians. Are there countries that are viewed with more suspicion than others?
Maybe it is boring for some, but at the moment I am not sure if it is a good idea at all to tell my intentions upfront at the border...

Any ideas?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what opinion Canadian Immigration hold on Latvians. Are there countries that are viewed with more suspicion than others?

Any ideas?
Latvian citizens still need tourist visas to enter Canada, if that's any clue:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

Jeremy
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Why won't you guys start sponsorship process right now from UK?

Canadian citizens can sponsor their spouses while still residing outside Canada, as long as they provide sworn declaration of intention to move back to Canada once sponsored spouse gets visa.

If you get lucky you may get approved before move, but even if not then having already pending application will help with getting admitted.
Dear Mr Miller,

I know, a good question. The thing is that my husband is planning on closing his business on 1st January (tired of paying high taxes) and he really wants to go back home and settle there as soon as it is possible... Another thing is that at the moment Latvian Embassy in LOndon is changing my passport (we are newlyweds) and I am getting it back only at the end of November. So I can't start my application now.
I want to do the right thing and I hate to be treated with suspicion - all we want is to settle like normal people, start family, get a job, pay taxes. I have never been on social benefits in any of countries I have lived before. I would not mind not working for a while in Canada as we will be busy getting the house ready and getting used to new conditions etc. (as long as I am with my husband)

Do you think there is a chance that if I tell Immigration officers on arrival about my intentions of filing application I will be turned back?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your advice.

singing_potters
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:32 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to disclose fact of being married to Canadian and your intentions when applying for Canadian visitor visa first and it will be your first test. If you won't disclose it and obtain visa by omission or misrepresentation then you may not be eligible for inland sponsorship within Canada. Same with omission or misrepresentation at the Canadian port of entry when asking for admission.

Nobody can guarantee anything here, although usually truth opens a lot of doors.

Dear Mr Miller,

I know, a good question. The thing is that my husband is planning on closing his business on 1st January (tired of paying high taxes) and he really wants to go back home and settle there as soon as it is possible... Another thing is that at the moment Latvian Embassy in LOndon is changing my passport (we are newlyweds) and I am getting it back only at the end of November. So I can't start my application now.
I want to do the right thing and I hate to be treated with suspicion - all we want is to settle like normal people, start family, get a job, pay taxes. I have never been on social benefits in any of countries I have lived before. I would not mind not working for a while in Canada as we will be busy getting the house ready and getting used to new conditions etc. (as long as I am with my husband)

Do you think there is a chance that if I tell Immigration officers on arrival about my intentions of filing application I will be turned back?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your advice.

singing_potters
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 5:26 am
Just Joined

It feels like walking on thin ice.
What about if I went to Canada on holiday and decided to stay there because my husband was offered good job prospects?
I am not going to hide the fact that I am married to a Canadian citizen on my application for visitors visa. We went to Canada on our Honeymoon and on my first application I mentioned that.

Ministers Permit, how does it work? Would that do any good in case of emergency (I have told that I want to stay in Canada at the port of entry and they don't like it) - what does it entitle?

Looking forward to receiving your opinions.

Many thanks

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You need to disclose fact of being married to Canadian and your intentions when applying for Canadian visitor visa first and it will be your first test. If you won't disclose it and obtain visa by omission or misrepresentation then you may not be eligible for inland sponsorship within Canada. Same with omission or misrepresentation at the Canadian port of entry when asking for admission.

Nobody can guarantee anything here, although usually truth opens a lot of doors.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Siona is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I entered Canada almost a year ago, I Canadian and he from the Pacific Islands. We declared his intent to immigrate to Canada at the Canada/US boarder. They sent us to a kiosk where an immigration officer asked a few questions. I had our marriage certificate and a few other useful documents in my carry-on. I requested that he be granted a year visitor permit rather than six months. They gave us the year (we just finished extending it again) and his application for PR is well under way. My only suggestion is that if you plan to apply from within Canada it is much better if you and your Canadian husband travel back together and have documents ready. Immigration noted right on my husbands visitor record that she had seen our marriage certificate first hand.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 7:53 am
Just Joined

HI Siona,

Thanks for your comments - it is encouraging to read about good experience.
Did your husband had to get temporary residents visa before he could go to Canada with you?
Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Siona
My husband and I entered Canada almost a year ago, I Canadian and he from the Pacific Islands. We declared his intent to immigrate to Canada at the Canada/US boarder. They sent us to a kiosk where an immigration officer asked a few questions. I had our marriage certificate and a few other useful documents in my carry-on. I requested that he be granted a year visitor permit rather than six months. They gave us the year (we just finished extending it again) and his application for PR is well under way. My only suggestion is that if you plan to apply from within Canada it is much better if you and your Canadian husband travel back together and have documents ready. Immigration noted right on my husbands visitor record that she had seen our marriage certificate first hand.