Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

National Vocational Qualifications

Wikiposts

National Vocational Qualifications

Old Feb 26th 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Bluejay182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default National Vocational Qualifications

Hi all,

I’ve heard conflicting information regarding NVQs being used for the ECA.

My wife and I both have NVQs that could be vital for us being accepted.

I’ve heard people say that some companies will accept them as part of the ECA but then Canadian employers wouldn’t, which is fine as I’d only need them to get me in and then my work XP and IT based credentials should be enough to get me a job.

Does anyone know of any of the approved ECA companies that accept NVQs as I know the University of Toronto do not. WES?

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Vocational Qualifications

I don't think NVQ's are accepted by any agency that I've heard of (they all say only academic qualifications can be assessed, rather than vocational), but have you done a search of the forum? If anybody has had any luck getting any accepted then you will find a thread with the info on I'm sure.

Good luck with it.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't think NVQ's are accepted by any agency that I've heard of (they all say only academic qualifications can be assessed, rather than vocational), but have you done a search of the forum? If anybody has had any luck getting any accepted then you will find a thread with the info on I'm sure.

Good luck with it.
There is a thread with the above mentioned from 2012/2013 but it is now closed. I'll see if the people from that are contactable.

Cheers
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluejay182
There is a thread with the above mentioned from 2012/2013 but it is now closed. I'll see if the people from that are contactable.

Cheers
If it's from that long ago then it's of no use to you anyway - EE only came in to existence in 2015 and that's when things tightened up with regards to ECA's.

So you need to see if you can find anything from 2015/2016 from somebody who has had an NVQ assessed for an ECA. I have a vague recollection that IQAS might do, but could have that completely wrong! It also depends on whether or not they were full-time or part-time and what the subject was, some can be assessed but won't be assessed as a diploma/certificate, but rather as 'completion of a career training program' or similar, which means no points on EE for diplomas.

You can also look on the website for each agency, you mention WES above but they do state 'WES does not evaluate occupational or trade qualifications', each agency should state what they will accept on their website.

Best of luck!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If it's from that long ago then it's of no use to you anyway - EE only came in to existence in 2015 and that's when things tightened up with regards to ECA's.

So you need to see if you can find anything from 2015/2016 from somebody who has had an NVQ assessed for an ECA. I have a vague recollection that IQAS might do, but could have that completely wrong! It also depends on whether or not they were full-time or part-time and what the subject was, some can be assessed but won't be assessed as a diploma/certificate, but rather as 'completion of a career training program' or similar, which means no points on EE for diplomas.

You can also look on the website for each agency, you mention WES above but they do state 'WES does not evaluate occupational or trade qualifications', each agency should state what they will accept on their website.

Best of luck!
The 3 I've now checked all say they don't so looks like I'll have to try and get by without those points. Must have been stopped since 2015.
I've messaged the people who said they got theirs checked but not holding my breath.

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2017, 10:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The 3 I've now checked all say they don't so looks like I'll have to try and get by without those points. Must have been stopped since 2015.
I've messaged the people who said they got theirs checked but not holding my breath.

Thanks
Personally I'd try and get them assessed anyway, you never know. If they won't assess them then they'll just send them back and there will be no fee to pay, so other than the cost of getting transcripts, it's not going to cost you much - worth a try maybe?
Old Mar 1st 2017, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Happyfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi on the back of your thread... I am currently awaiting my results back from WeS (should be anyday now).. submitted on 28th Jan 2017.. I am from Scotland so we are hoping to have a positive result in getting our SVQ (equiv if NvQ) transferred into Canadian credentials .. will update as soon as I hear back.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Happyfamily
Hi on the back of your thread... I am currently awaiting my results back from WeS (should be anyday now).. submitted on 28th Jan 2017.. I am from Scotland so we are hoping to have a positive result in getting our SVQ (equiv if NvQ) transferred into Canadian credentials .. will update as soon as I hear back.
Great stuff - let me know cheers

Just as an update it looks as though IQAS will accept my ITQ3 as it is from Edexcel (not sure if UOT or WES would be same?) were as my NVQs are from Training 2000 - looking forward to knowing if you get yours approved - good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Happyfamily
Hi - did you manage to get your SVQ assessed?
Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps at all and this may differ from yours slightly, I got my AVCE done in ICT, which stands for 'Advanced Vocational Certificate in Education'.

This was deemed as a 2 year Diploma
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DaleBoy
If it helps at all and this may differ from yours slightly, I got my AVCE done in ICT, which stands for 'Advanced Vocational Certificate in Education'.

This was deemed as a 2 year Diploma
Awesome, mine is an ITQ3 which is now classed as a Diploma so should hopefully count.

Do you mind if I ask which company you used for your assessment?
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, mine is an ITQ3 which is now classed as a Diploma so should hopefully count.

Do you mind if I ask which company you used for your assessment?
Went with WES and had it done March 2016.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:03 am
Just Joined

willmissthebeeronly is an unknown quantity at this point

I used CES for my AVCE and had the same 2year diploma assessment, took 4months to come back but outcome was right!