Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

National Occupation Classification (NOC)

Wikiposts

National Occupation Classification (NOC)

Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

zigspider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default National Occupation Classification (NOC)

Originally posted in the lifestyle section, and no one responded.. and I just need pointing in the right direction for this quesiton.
I am having difficulty finding the right code for my last job in the UK. My job title was Project Manager - which was for an organisation that was the world’s largest provider of extranet services to the global financial community, a pressurised environment of telecommunications and customer service. The only code that I can find that may fit the bill is 2171 using the job title of Information Technology Business Analyst. This is a list of my main activities – sorry this is right out of my resume.
Ownership of major client accounts, liasing closely with the client, sales, IT and networking/application teams.
Understanding application requirements and sizing bandwidth and connectivity solutions accordingly.
Developing client relationships and thus assisting the organisation with account management to sell the organiasation’s solution to clients.
Meeting client and all involved parties to define scope of project, produce project plan, and agree responsibility demarcation points.
Project Plan review to validate outstanding technical requirement, and establish project structure in terms of key milestone deliverables.
Regular and timely communication at all levels with client, account team and other involved parties.
Progress meetings, status update reports, proactive escalation of late deliverables, and overall change control.
Manage the handover of service to the client from implementation to operational. (End of main duties)
There does not seem to be any job titles relating to Project Management as such, it is going to be difficult getting HR to give me a different job title, and adjust the main duties too..
Anyone else had this problem, and what did you do..? My husband hopes to get a job first, and then he would apply as main applicant, but if he does not get a job, then since he does not have a degree and I do, then I would be the main applicant,as he would not have enough points.
Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:02 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: National Occupation Classification (NOC)

Sorry but everything below seems to be in code to me!! But if you go to the NOC site, link below, you can do a process of elimination search. By reading through all the skills you can try and match the one that is best suited.
This is the one for a project manager: if yo u"view all titles project manager is listed.

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/groups/0611.shtml
http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/groups/5124.shtml

Originally Posted by zigspider
Originally posted in the lifestyle section, and no one responded.. and I just need pointing in the right direction for this quesiton.
I am having difficulty finding the right code for my last job in the UK. My job title was Project Manager - which was for an organisation that was the world’s largest provider of extranet services to the global financial community, a pressurised environment of telecommunications and customer service. The only code that I can find that may fit the bill is 2171 using the job title of Information Technology Business Analyst. This is a list of my main activities – sorry this is right out of my resume.
Ownership of major client accounts, liasing closely with the client, sales, IT and networking/application teams.
Understanding application requirements and sizing bandwidth and connectivity solutions accordingly.
Developing client relationships and thus assisting the organisation with account management to sell the organiasation’s solution to clients.
Meeting client and all involved parties to define scope of project, produce project plan, and agree responsibility demarcation points.
Project Plan review to validate outstanding technical requirement, and establish project structure in terms of key milestone deliverables.
Regular and timely communication at all levels with client, account team and other involved parties.
Progress meetings, status update reports, proactive escalation of late deliverables, and overall change control.
Manage the handover of service to the client from implementation to operational. (End of main duties)
There does not seem to be any job titles relating to Project Management as such, it is going to be difficult getting HR to give me a different job title, and adjust the main duties too..
Anyone else had this problem, and what did you do..? My husband hopes to get a job first, and then he would apply as main applicant, but if he does not get a job, then since he does not have a degree and I do, then I would be the main applicant,as he would not have enough points.
Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

zigspider is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gooding
Hadn't expected a reply, as yes it is written for a particular industry, so anyone outside of it, is blinded by the jargon. From the links I only found Project Administrator listed, but took your advice and had another serious look at where my industry lay.. it's Communications, Networks, Telecommunications and IT.. and so I think 0213 will fit, but it is selecting the right title. Unfortunately I also realise that many of the duties are way over what I used to do, only some of the duties fit.. I assume it is essential to select a title from the list within that Group, and that any references included in the application must refer to the role by that title, and not what I was actually called? Actually I see Computer Projects Manager.. Bingo!
But under employment requirements.. it states ‘ including supervisory experience, are required’ If I didn’t supervise anyone, the NOC training manual, and it states that ‘Is Required’ means that it is usually mandatory, or is that only relevant if you are looking for a job.
Having looked yet again.. what a nightmare.. 2171 seems closer with the title Information Systems Business Analysts, although it doesn’t mention the telecomms or financial industry, it does mention found in the private sector.
Does anyone contact the HRDC to get the right code?
Thanks again.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:40 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I dont know, all I know is it can take a time to look, but you need to find the one that fits the best, and I backed up the letter / code with written description of my duties as they related to the list.

If it is not on the list and the list is extensive, maybe try looking for a code that is maybe actaully less than what you did, ( not mangerial) rather than trying to match every point to your title.
try looking unser the technologists title list, they love calling everyone and ologist!!

Originally Posted by zigspider
Thanks Gooding
Hadn't expected a reply, as yes it is written for a particular industry, so anyone outside of it, is blinded by the jargon. From the links I only found Project Administrator listed, but took your advice and had another serious look at where my industry lay.. it's Communications, Networks, Telecommunications and IT.. and so I think 0213 will fit, but it is selecting the right title. Unfortunately I also realise that many of the duties are way over what I used to do, only some of the duties fit.. I assume it is essential to select a title from the list within that Group, and that any references included in the application must refer to the role by that title, and not what I was actually called? Actually I see Computer Projects Manager.. Bingo!
But under employment requirements.. it states ‘ including supervisory experience, are required’ If I didn’t supervise anyone, the NOC training manual, and it states that ‘Is Required’ means that it is usually mandatory, or is that only relevant if you are looking for a job.
Having looked yet again.. what a nightmare.. 2171 seems closer with the title Information Systems Business Analysts, although it doesn’t mention the telecomms or financial industry, it does mention found in the private sector.
Does anyone contact the HRDC to get the right code?
Thanks again.