Nanny visa?!

Old Feb 21st 2021, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Welshieabroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nanny visa?!

Hello,

I have a question that I can't find the answer for!

We are hoping to move to Canada next year (2022) on PR. Points for EE seem to suggest we should get in and we have the funds etc sorted.

We will be starting our own business out there (currently doing the same thing here so it should be straight forward to set up).

My concern is a Nanny/au pair. We have one here who is amazing. First language Welsh to help our children develop their Welsh language. When we move, I'm envisaging difficulty trying to find a Nanny/Au pair fluent in Welsh to continue this.

Upon looking at different types of immigration, there was before covid some visa that enabled Nannies to come over even if they don't have the points for EE? I think it was for two years.
I would like to approach our Nanny and suggest she could come out with us on this visa, but it is currently suspended due to covid. I'm hoping it would be reinstated once everything calms down. Hopefully by 2022!

Is my understanding correct? She is over 30 and not qualified enough so couldn't apply for any other visas. We would pay her salary and supply living if she chose to.

Thanks for any help
Old Feb 21st 2021, 4:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny visa?!

Hi, welcome to BE.

I assume you mean the IEC visa? Yes, that's likely to start up again at some point, but you say she's over 30 and it's normally only for those aged 30 and under. Unless she's got citizenship of a country where the age limit is 35 - i.e. she's got Irish citizenship? If so, one thing to be aware of is that it's a lottery system, so not everybody that applies gets a visa. Given the program has been suspended for quite a while (probably will have been around 2 years by the time it restarts again), then there may be even more applicants than usual when it does reopen. So it's a good option if she is eligible, but not one you can assume she'll definitely get.

However, there are other visa options. You could hire her on a 'normal' work permit - you'd need to apply for a LMIA but if you advertise for a Welsh speaking nanny I can't imagine you'd be inundated with applicants somehow! If she wanted to stay longer term then you could also look at the Home Child Care Provider Pilot program - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rt-worker.html. You could have these as back ups in case she doesn't get selected in the IEC lottery.

And there may be other options too, any idea which province you'll be moving to?
Old Feb 21st 2021, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

The IEC is out as she won't qualify.

The home care one looks promising though. Basically what she does now here. 30 hours a week easily as we have three children, two of which aren't in school yet.

I briefly scanned it so will look in more detail, but my first thoughts were;
Does the company have to employ her or can I run my company and employ her separately. Just thinking it might take a few months to set things up where we could really do with her working for us.
Does she have to apply for PR at the same time? I'm hoping she would want to stay with us forever (!) But she might just want to come with us for a few years and so not apply for PR?

Probably BC but potentially NS
Old Feb 21st 2021, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Welshieabroad ...................... there are a lot of Welsh people here, though who knows how many of them speak Welsh.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Indeed!

Bringing one with me who is the perfect fit for our family just seems like a logical choice...... Hopefully she will agree haha!
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 5:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshieabroad View Post
Does the company have to employ her or can I run my company and employ her separately. Just thinking it might take a few months to set things up where we could really do with her working for us.
Does she have to apply for PR at the same time?
It's a PR application, so yes, she has to apply for that. Not sure what you mean by 'does the company have to employ her'?
Old Feb 24th 2021, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

I was just wondering if it works the same as here. So the company are separate to us employing a nanny privately