Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Name change by deed poll and current Visa/Passport requirements

Name change by deed poll and current Visa/Passport requirements

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Amannda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name change by deed poll and current Visa/Passport requirements

Dear Sir/Madam

I hope you can help with my questions below :-

My son's passport that has a family visa in comes up for renewal later this
year. Will I need to apply for a visa again for him or will we need to
carry the old and new passport around when travelling across borders?

Also I am wanting to change my name by Deed Poll in the UK will the visa in
my current passport still be valid when I come to request a passport in the
new name or do I need to fill in an application again? My husband (who is Canadian) is changing his name also - but our concern is that my original paperwork for the visa is in <one name> and this will not be the same as our new surname of <another name>.

Many Thanks

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 22nd 2011 at 1:47 pm. Reason: Names removed - too much personal info on a public forum!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name change by deed poll and current Visa/Passport requirements

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. What is a 'family visa', and what visa do you have?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Ah - sorry I have a marriage visa and my son (13 years old) from a previous relationship came in with me as my dependant.

My son's passport expires Jan 2012 - we are going to the UK in July for 2 months and I did think about doing all the paperwork whilst over there, but wanted to ensure that upon our return there was not going to be any hassle regarding the visa being in the expired passport.

I have been reading in various places that the visa is no longer valid! I have tried to email the UK Embassy and the Canadian Immigration Department but so far have had no reply (3 months since acknowledgment) and want to be sure of all my facts.

Regarding my name if I change it to my husband's name by Deed Poll (he took on this name after we married) then what paperwork would I need to fill in so that my passport and visa remained valid.

I hope this isn't too many questions.

Many Thanks

Amannda
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amannda
Ah - sorry I have a marriage visa and my son (13 years old) from a previous relationship came in with me as my dependant.
Still confused - no such thing as a 'marriage visa'! Do you mean your husband sponsored your and your son for Canadian Permanent Residency?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Yes that is what I mean - it is referred to as a marriage visa in the UK
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Amannda
Yes that is what I mean - it is referred to as a marriage visa in the UK
OK, so you and your son are Permanent Residents of Canada? And you've validated and maintained your PR status?

In which case, the visa bit in the passport really isn't that relevant anymore - presumably you have your PR cards?

You say you think the 'visa isn't valid' anymore, but do you mean your PR status rather than the visa? If so, why do you think you are no longer PR's?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so you and your son are Permanent Residents of Canada? And you've validated and maintained your PR status?

In which case, the visa bit in the passport really isn't that relevant anymore - presumably you have your PR cards?

You say you think the 'visa isn't valid' anymore, but do you mean your PR status rather than the visa? If so, why do you think you are no longer PR's?
Yes we both have validated and maintained our PR status and we have our PR cards. I think I have gotten confused through visiting various websites where the information was getting a little garbled. I just didn't want to do anything that would mean my son or I would have an issue coming backwards and forwards between Canada and the UK.

And in regards to the name change - do you know if I have to do anything with the visa? I would have thought I would need to let someone know so that all my documents match up everywhere.

thank you so much for your help with this.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You are getting confused - the visa (the bit in your passport) is a little bit like an entry document, and is only used once to activate your PR status. Once you've done that, the visa is null and void and no longer relevant, so it doesn't matter if it's in an old passport.

So, you've got PR status and PR cards, and that's all you need - even if you didn't have PR cards the immigration officer can easily check your details on a computer! So the old visa in the passport doesn't matter anymore, as you've used it the one time that was necessary and therefore it is never going to be used again. Does that make sense?

Re: name change, I assume you'll have to get your PR card changed as well, but am not sure on that - have a quick search of the forum to see what people have done when they've changed their names.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

That makes perfect sense. that is so good to know regarding the visa being only important on that initial entrance. Will check the forum regarding name changes - as yet I have done nothing and am just trying to gather my facts
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick reminder - everyone should keep the COPR Visa that is used to enter Canada (for PR) as it is required when applying for a Canadian Pension.

Do not throw it away!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:40 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by siouxie
Just a quick reminder - everyone should keep the COPR Visa that is used to enter Canada (for PR) as it is required when applying for a Canadian Pension.

Do not throw it away!
And citizenship.