Name change and citizenship

Old Jun 16th 2016, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name change and citizenship

.. So, I want to apply for Citizenship.
Been here 11 years, it's time.

But I'm also now separated, and I am going to change my name back to my maiden form.

Now... as my BC still says "MaidenName" - I BELIEVE that all I have to do is get my DL changed with it, and then everything will be ticketyboo as Service Canada are all one shop.

However, I still have a UK passport, and my PR card will be in "MaidenName-HisName".

... will all this documentation in different name be too confusing? Or the fact that my MaidenName is hyphened with HisName be a good clue to what's going on?
... does it really matter what name? (To me, yes).

I don't want to change my UK passport, as - frankly - I won't be renewing it when it expires. I intend to go forth with my Canadian passport.

HALP!
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name change and citizenship

Hi in BC your DL licence has to match your PR card name and they are very strict on this point.

I don't know if the province you live in has the same policy.

I know this because I have a truncated middle name on my PR card (first and middle names used to be only to a maximum of 15 characters and mine with the space is 16) so my DL matches my PR card but not my passport. *

S

*the new design PR card has space for a max of 28 characters first/middle and 28 Surname (I think).
Old Jun 16th 2016, 9:45 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll also have to change your name with each department that you need. I changed my surname and had to do it separately for my SIN, taxes and student loan, even though it all falls under "Service Canada"
Old Jun 17th 2016, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

Problem solved though, I downloaded a newer copy of the Citizenship form, and guess what?

There is a section for "Name you wish to be known as" (paraphrasing).

... so with my BC and new DL, I should be OK.