Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

NAFTA tn visa while waiting for PR

NAFTA tn visa while waiting for PR

Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

thermophile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NAFTA tn visa while waiting for PR

Has anyone gotten a Nafta job while they were waiting for their PR? Found out yesterday that my spouse sponsored app was lost. I was just hanging out in Calgary finishing up my thesis but I'll be done with that this summer and should really get a job in Sept. or Oct. I really thought that I'd have my PR by then cause I thought we were already 5 months into the wait but now we're back to time zero. So, I'm going to have to find a job through NAFTA, but don't know how that works in practial terms. Any experiences would be appreciated.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: NAFTA tn visa while waiting for PR

come on, someone has to have some thoughts on this.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:01 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You cannot "find job through NAFTA".

NAFTA only provides some flexibility for certain professionals when applying for work permit. If you are one of those professionals and job fits the criteria you may apply for work permit without having job offer validated individually by HRSDC - that's about all.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/nafta-a...n.asp?#app_d_1

Originally Posted by thermophile
Has anyone gotten a Nafta job while they were waiting for their PR? Found out yesterday that my spouse sponsored app was lost. I was just hanging out in Calgary finishing up my thesis but I'll be done with that this summer and should really get a job in Sept. or Oct. I really thought that I'd have my PR by then cause I thought we were already 5 months into the wait but now we're back to time zero. So, I'm going to have to find a job through NAFTA, but don't know how that works in practial terms. Any experiences would be appreciated.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

I know how it works the other way round, i.e., a Canadian getting a TN visa to the US. He needed a special letter of job offer from American company, his graduation diploma and basically he showed this stuff at the border to get a one year TN visa. Probably it works in a similar way for Americans, hope that helps.

Originally Posted by thermophile
come on, someone has to have some thoughts on this.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I've talked to recruiters in the past and understand that the process is pretty simple-as far as I can trust a recruiter. However, I'm wondering specifically if there's anything I should be concerned about since I'm actively pursuing immigration.