My wife his agreed to a visit :-)

Old Oct 13th 2019, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Razaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My wife his agreed to a visit :-)

Happy Sunday all.

I've spent an hour or so reading through the forum 'canada section' which has been very beneficial so far.
I'm 33 my wife 32 and my son is 3. After plenty of nagging and picture showing my wife has agreed to holiday to Canada to see if she could potentially move there.
I spoke with who I assume was an 'agent' (I simply googled a number to help with the emigration process) who said my wifes job of a prison officer isnt sought after but me being a plasterer could gain us entry although I'm not qualified. He said that wasnt a problem if I could take a test once there to prove my skills????? I'm hoping that's the case.
we plan to fly to Ottawa in three weeks and drive across to halifax and stay with my wifes cousin. We have about 11 days and my god it will be rushed but feel my wife needs to get a slight feel for the country to know if theres anything there.

I'll keep reading through and see if anyone can point me on the direction of an agent of some sort who helps with the Visa process. I also seen a seen a link for a test I can take which will tell me if I'm eligible.
Anyway, I'm Ryan and I look forward to reading any replies and hope to contribute as much as possible :-)
Old Oct 13th 2019, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My wife his agreed to a visit :-)

If your wife has a cousin already living in Canada that could potentially be very helpful. Perhaps she knows of someone in construction who would be willing to sponsor you.
Moving to Canada on a work permit might be the best option to you if you have not got the official qualifications. Then whilst working you could challenge the tradesman exams and this would give you points towards a more permanent move.

Good luck with your trip it sounds like a very long drive.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Ryan,
If your wife is close to her family in UK, forget about emigrating to Canada or anywhere else, for that matter. She will, most probably, be homesick from the moment she sets a foot on our soil and will drive you bananas with her cries to go home to see her mother and siblings/friends. She will think of all manner of reasons why she can’t live here, such as we don’t sell the knickers or bra’s she wears, we don’t have any PRIMARK/M&S stores along with the weather being too cold/hot for her liking. And boy, will you suffer for forcing her to move to this God forsaken land. Make her happy and let her stay where she’s happy and you’ll be a happy camper too, along with saving a fair chunk of money.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 9:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Razaa
Happy Sunday all.

I've spent an hour or so reading through the forum 'canada section' which has been very beneficial so far.
I'm 33 my wife 32 and my son is 3. After plenty of nagging and picture showing my wife has agreed to holiday to Canada to see if she could potentially move there.
I spoke with who I assume was an 'agent' (I simply googled a number to help with the emigration process) who said my wifes job of a prison officer isnt sought after but me being a plasterer could gain us entry although I'm not qualified. He said that wasnt a problem if I could take a test once there to prove my skills????? I'm hoping that's the case.
we plan to fly to Ottawa in three weeks and drive across to halifax and stay with my wifes cousin. We have about 11 days and my god it will be rushed but feel my wife needs to get a slight feel for the country to know if theres anything there.

I'll keep reading through and see if anyone can point me on the direction of an agent of some sort who helps with the Visa process. I also seen a seen a link for a test I can take which will tell me if I'm eligible.
Anyway, I'm Ryan and I look forward to reading any replies and hope to contribute as much as possible :-)

Hello and welcome to BE!

You don't need an agent - you don't need an Immigration Consultant... you just need the official website - and us!

Basically you either meet the requirements or you don't - no agent (which is an Australian thing) nor Immigration Consultant can magic up points that you don't have.. and immigration to Canada is all about skillsets and points.

Yes, as a plasterer you may possibly be able to apply under Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) - which has a lower points requirement (that's a good thing)... the NOC code is 7284 but if you need a job offer you would need the company to apply for an LMIA and pay $1000 - unlikely but not impossible.

There is NO in demand list - although some Provinces may have routes that encourage certain professions!

Your wife may have a skillset that could be used for other things - her NOC would be 4422 Correctional service officer - ..

First thing to do is to check out our Wiki - and then go to the RCIC website (the official one) and see what points you both might have (doing it so each of you is the lead applicant initially - and assuming you have your education assessed and your English tests come back as top marks - just for the tool purposes.. no point in paying out to get them done if you are unlikely to qualify... once you have worked out your points come back and discuss

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ess-entry.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 13th 2019 at 9:35 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for the feedback, they're all helpful in there own right. Particularly the last one.
with regards to my wife being close to her family in the uk, she is, as am I but this is about our family now and shes already seeing the benefits of potentially moving there for our son's sake.

I'll keep reading. Thanks again
Old Oct 14th 2019, 7:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the feedback, they're all helpful in there own right. Particularly the last one.
with regards to my wife being close to her family in the uk, she is, as am I but this is about our family now and shes already seeing the benefits of potentially moving there for our son's sake.

I'll keep reading. Thanks again
Potential benefits of moving thousands of km away from your (as in both of you and your children) support systems? Have either of you ever been to Canada before? Have you lived anywhere more than an hour's drive from your or her parents? Have you given thought to your children growing up so far from their grandparents and aunts/uncles/cousins?
Old Oct 14th 2019, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh, moving from one first world country to another isn't going to make much difference to your son's life. Both the UK and Canada offer a great life for kids. We often say on the forum that those that make a success of life in Canada are those that move for a genuine love of the country, or opportunity (love interest or career). Those that move because they think Canada is somehow going to be better than the UK are often disappointed - Canada has crime, and drug addicts, and crap schools too!

But definitely look in to the visa side of things first, and as Siouxie has said, double check your points score as the first step. No point in trying to convince your wife to move if you can't get a visa anyway. I'd also recommend you look in to plastering work, I know very little about it but don't think it's something with loads of opportunities in Canada - a search of the main forum should bring up some relevant threads.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 14th 2019 at 3:21 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 3:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This will give you an idea of what jobs are available in your line of work.. as you will see, few jobs in the Eastern Provinces (Nova Scotia etc.,) https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/...fn=7284&sort=M

For your wife, Prisons are run by the Government - https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/careers/003001-index-en.shtml and https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc....nts=&log=false
Old Oct 14th 2019, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Potential benefits of moving thousands of km away from your (as in both of you and your children) support systems? Have either of you ever been to Canada before? Have you lived anywhere more than an hour's drive from your or her parents? Have you given thought to your children growing up so far from their grandparents and aunts/uncles/cousins?
Thanks for replying. Yes ive been to canada before, although it was a long time ago as a teen so my fond memories are only from that experience.
I was in the Royal navy so lived away for 5 years and caused me no problems.
ye I've given it thought about my son living away from family etc and that is a hard one as I dont know how to answer it, I've just hoped the plus points of living in a beautiful country could subsidise that one negative.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Ryan,
If your wife is close to her family in UK, forget about emigrating to Canada or anywhere else, for that matter. She will, most probably, be homesick from the moment she sets a foot on our soil and will drive you bananas with her cries to go home to see her mother and siblings/friends. She will think of all manner of reasons why she can’t live here, such as we don’t sell the knickers or bra’s she wears, we don’t have any PRIMARK/M&S stores along with the weather being too cold/hot for her liking. And boy, will you suffer for forcing her to move to this God forsaken land. Make her happy and let her stay where she’s happy and you’ll be a happy camper too, along with saving a fair chunk of money.
she isnt happy, thats why she became open to the idea of moving to canada.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Siouxie;12748167]This will give you an idea of what jobs are available in your line of work.. as you will see, few jobs in the Eastern Provinces

Thank you. Very helpful
Old Oct 14th 2019, 10:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I've just hoped the plus points of living in a beautiful country could subsidise that one negative.
You already live in a beautiful country. Maybe not where you are specifically, but I have just returned to Australia after a 4.5 week holiday in northern England and Scotland and would quite happily live in a lot of the areas we visited. Not so much the cities, but there are many beautiful smaller cities and villages all over the UK.

Don't get me wrong...I love Canada. It's where I'm from. However as someone else said there are many of the same issues as any other first world country. Crime, drugs, unemployment. And having to convince someone to do something will only end in resentment. Trust me on that one.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You already live in a beautiful country. Maybe not where you are specifically, but I have just returned to Australia after a 4.5 week holiday in northern England and Scotland and would quite happily live in a lot of the areas we visited. Not so much the cities, but there are many beautiful smaller cities and villages all over the UK.

Don't get me wrong...I love Canada. It's where I'm from. However as someone else said there are many of the same issues as any other first world country. Crime, drugs, unemployment. And having to convince someone to do something will only end in resentment. Trust me on that one.
I understand that, the UK has lovely places, but being self employed I dont want to move to a small beautiful village and attempt to set up a business with no contacts. If I I'm going to work for an employer then It would have to be far from where i am currently. Not sure if that makes sense.

I am aware canada has crime and drugs, but last time I checked some stats they were a hell of a lot lower than the UK, especially crime, we have a knife epidemic here, kids are stabbing each other for fun. If you tell me the majority of canada Is the same I would gladly put this idea to bed. I'm by no means suggesting people dont get stabbed in Canada by the way
Old Oct 15th 2019, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the south west of England just about as far away from the bigger cities as possible and the crime rate is starting to rise even down here.
Due to the relatively safer and more desirable location to live, house prices and general cost of living has risen massively.
Although myself and my wife both work full time it is impossible to survive financially.

I'm just saying even the more remote and perhaps nicer places to live here in the UK aren't quite as good as they may seem.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 8:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that, the UK has lovely places, but being self employed I dont want to move to a small beautiful village and attempt to set up a business with no contacts. If I I'm going to work for an employer then It would have to be far from where i am currently. Not sure if that makes sense.
Couldn't you just move out of London but still within commuting distance? I live within a 26 min fast train of London, yet most days the only other living creatures I see are deer, guinea fowl or partridge in the garden! We don't lock our cars or doors, and it's super safe here (Berkshire). But I'd have thought a plasterer would find work pretty much anywhere in the UK? And if you have to move to somewhere like Toronto or Vancouver to find work in Canada (as Siouxie's link would suggest), I don't think it'll be much different to your life in London.

I am aware canada has crime and drugs, but last time I checked some stats they were a hell of a lot lower than the UK, especially crime
Depends on the actual stat. More murders per capita in Canada than the UK, but lower petty crime, more alcohol in the UK but higher drug use in Canada. I've never been a victim of crime in the UK, but I have in Canada. As I said above, one first world country over another isn't going to make much of a difference. Particularly as you've had to 'nag' your wife to even consider the idea, which doesn't bode well tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I love Canada, just trying to play devil's advocate before you spend £20k+++ on moving there only to discover you have to work in Toronto and have the same issues as in London and your wife isn't a happy bunny.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 15th 2019 at 9:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.