My wife and child

Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:45 am
Just Joined

2210ethan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My wife and child

Hello!

I live in Canada (Permanent resident) with my wife (Canadian).

We are also the proud parents of a little girl, born february 10th.

I am trying to get in touch with the NY consulate (the High commission in Ottawa sent me there!) to ask-

-Does the baby have dual citizenship? Can I apply for two passports for her now?

- Do I need to register the Birth in the UK?

How the fxxxing hell can I get in touch with A HUMAN BEING at the British consulate? How?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Wish I'd known about this site when I was trying to get residency haha

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:51 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My wife and child

Originally Posted by 2210ethan
Hello!

I live in Canada (Permanent resident) with my wife (Canadian).

We are also the proud parents of a little girl, born february 10th.

I am trying to get in touch with the NY consulate (the High commission in Ottawa sent me there!) to ask-

-Does the baby have dual citizenship? Can I apply for two passports for her now?

- Do I need to register the Birth in the UK?

How the fxxxing hell can I get in touch with A HUMAN BEING at the British consulate? How?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Wish I'd known about this site when I was trying to get residency haha

Thanks in advance
Assuming you are British by birth, child has dual citizenship. You don't register the birth in the UK if child born in Canada and registered here. Why bother paying for two passports. My kids all have Canadian and its never a problem.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:02 am
Just Joined

2210ethan is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow- thanks for the speedy response!

Yes, I'm a brit. I'd like for us all to have two passports, but that's for another time (when I get Canuck citizenship).

So she is dual? That's awesome.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Debbieken is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure how it works in reverse but I am Canadian and live in the UK with my British husband and children. Like you, we wanted our kids to have dual citizenship so we registered their births in Canada. You don't have to get them passports, the fact they have dual citizenship means they can get a passport whenever they want You must be able to register their births in the UK?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Dual citizenship will be (1) Canadian by birth, and (2) British by the right to apply for a British passport (through a British parent). The birth is in Canada, so will be registered in Canada. Apply for one or both passports on her behalf as and when required, but her entitlement to either should not be an issue.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aviator
Assuming you are British by birth, child has dual citizenship. You don't register the birth in the UK if child born in Canada and registered here. Why bother paying for two passports. My kids all have Canadian and its never a problem.
We're just looking into all this for our own little Canadian

As I understand, whilst the birth is not registered in the UK as if the child was born there, they (you) do need to apply for UK citizenship before the age of 18.

Check out: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

As I understand it costs about GBP#550 for the privilige.

Last edited by wolstie; Mar 20th 2012 at 5:08 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
We're just looking into all this for our own little Canadian

As I understand, whilst the birth is not registered in the UK as if the child was born there, they (you) do need to apply for UK citizenship before the age of 18.

Check out: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

As I understand it costs about GBP#550 for the privilige.
If either parent is British by birth, you don't apply for citizenship, they either have by birth or they don't. All they need is their parents birth certificates. Your link applies to parents who are British by descent. We have never 'applied' for our children to have British citizenship, they already have it from us. Would not waste money on two passports either. I had two British ones when working, but don't need them now.

Last edited by Aviator; Mar 20th 2012 at 7:58 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Both of our sons (3 and 4 months) were born in Canada, they both have dual citizenship automatically. Literally all we did was apply for both passports with the requested documents and that was it
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aviator
If either parent is British by birth, you don't apply for citizenship, they either have by birth or they don't. All they need is their parents birth certificates. Your link applies to parents who are British by descent. We have never 'applied' for our children to have British citizenship, they already have it from us. Would not waste money on two passports either. I had two British ones when working, but don't need them now.
You've just saved me (wrongly) filling in another load of forms - thank you.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I checked into this after our first was born (3 years ago today). Yes, they have British Citizenship and no, you don't need to apply for it. All you need to do is apply for a passport. I am given to understand that it is best to do this before they reach 18.