My spousal visa application

Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

TomJoons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My spousal visa application

Hi Everyone,

I found so much useful information on this forum I wanted to share with you the things I did (and didn't do) for my spousal via application. The application has been recieved, requirements to sponsor have been approved and now I'm just waiting for permenant residence approval - so none of the below are "golden rules" to a succesful application!

I am a British male in a common law relationship with a Canadian female, both of us live in the UK. I have also lived in Italy and Germany.

- while we were gathering documents and cross checking there were numerous paper clips, plastic folders etc. However, we put everything lose into one big envelope with the barcode page at the front, all the forms in order then all the supporting documents.

- For the Italian police certificates I copied the template here:
Police clearance certificates for Canada from Italy - Page 2
I got a friend in Italy to take the application to the Tribunale, he got them there and then, paying double the stamp duty (so ~50 euros total). The date used in the application doesn't appear on the certificate anywhere, so I don't think it has to be exact.

- For the German certificates, I followed the instructions on the CIC and got them 2 weeks later.

- For the translation, I used google and in 5 minutes found an ATIO approved translator in Canada who did both certificates (3 documents total) for $75. I got the stamped translation in the post within a few days.

- Having lived in numerous places over the years, I was perplexed how to give all my addresses going back to age 18. Thanks to a tip from a poster here, I wrote to HMRC and made a Data Protection request. About 4 weeks later I got all the details HMRC have and used this. I don't imagine CIC can do anything more.

- Proof of relationship.
Rather than send 100's of emails, I sent a screengrab of my gmail. I put "from:<name>" in the search box, went to the last page, and took a screengrab which shows the earliest date and most importantly "1000 of 1020" or something like that. I did the same for my work email in Outlook. I like to think this demonstrates 1000's of emails on a single page!

I also included about 30 photos of us together in several different countries (some with family members), joint tennancy agreement, joint bills, joint insurance policies and lots of travel bookings/airline reservations showing both names together.

Just waiting patiently now!
Hope some of the above helps someone else....
Old Nov 18th 2014, 2:13 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My spousal visa application

Very useful post, it sounds like you guys approached the whole thing rationally and followed the instructions, which is easily the best way to do it. Kudos to you for that.

I'd like to draw attention to this part here:

Originally Posted by TomJoons
- Proof of relationship.
Rather than send 100's of emails, I sent a screengrab of my gmail. I put "from:<name>" in the search box, went to the last page, and took a screengrab which shows the earliest date and most importantly "1000 of 1020" or something like that. I did the same for my work email in Outlook. I like to think this demonstrates 1000's of emails on a single page!

I also included about 30 photos of us together in several different countries (some with family members), joint tennancy agreement, joint bills, joint insurance policies and lots of travel bookings/airline reservations showing both names together.
This is spot on. There have been cases where some people print out HUNDREDS of pages of correspondence to show that their relationship is genuine... that is overkill. One person in 2012 actually had their application returned because he supplied way too much information and it was too hard for CIC to sift through it.

You used great judgement with showing regular and ongoing contact. I did something similar with regard to my phone bills. I printed out one phone bill every 3-4 months, and highlighted the calls that were with my then-boyfriend-now-husband. It meant I was only providing 8-9 phone bills instead of 24... in conjunction with all the other evidence it was not likely that we would speak tons for one month, then not at all for 3 months, then tons for another month.

CIC doesn't necessarily want to see the content of your correspondence, particularly if it gets racy... use a filter. It's a much better idea to just demonstrate ongoing communication and if CIC wants to see all the detail, they will ask for it.

Good luck!