Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My situation has changed dramatically

My situation has changed dramatically

Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

kirbyking46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My situation has changed dramatically

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
I, too, am sorry about your situation and hope it all works out.

However I can't resist quoting Felix Dennis: if it flies, floats, or fornicates: rent, don't buy, it works out cheaper
I can't help but smile at the quote. It is soooo true in some cases.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

stuckinamess is an unknown quantity at this point

Well looking at my finances and stuff. Im going across the pond next august to get this started. i'll keep you all updated
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about

I also don't have anything constructive to add but wishing you the absolute best in navigating such a difficult situation.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

kirbyking46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuckinamess
Well looking at my finances and stuff. Im going across the pond next august to get this started. i'll keep you all updated
Sincerely, I wish you the very best outcome in a rather difficult situation.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks all. I have found out that a friend has family in van that can serve her.

My life has gone to shit since jan. Put on weight + depression has ****ed me completely. I just need her gone from my life.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Just an update to this, all my Uk debts are clear|(Except my student loan, what do i do there?)

I have 10k CAD free accom (staying with my cousin and free till i get work)

DVLA have issued me a new license with my driving history. Suitcase is packed, flying from Gatwick. Roll on 11th August
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I hope that it all goes well, and that you a feeling a bit better and more optimistic in yourself and excited about the new life that is unfolding for you. Bon voyage
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

One point to consider - if residency was obtained through spousal sponsorship, isn't there a requirement to stay together for at least 2 years after residency is granted?

I'd heard CIC had introduced this measure in order to prevent people getting residency through arranged marriages and then divorcing soon after.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sor/spouse.asp

Hmmm....

"Effective October 25, 2012, sponsored spouses or partners must now live together in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day they receive permanent residence status in Canada."

This may depend on exactly when your permanent residence status was granted. Sounds to me like it's from when you become a landed resident. Did you complete your landing trip yet?

If you became a permanent resident after 25 October 2012, then this rule could affect you, since you would be required under the new spousal sponsorship rules to live with your wife until October 2014, as I understand it.

If you become a permanent resident prior to 25 October 2012 then I believe this would not apply.

Wayne.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Waggle
One point to consider - if residency was obtained through spousal sponsorship, isn't there a requirement to stay together for at least 2 years after residency is granted?

I'd heard CIC had introduced this measure in order to prevent people getting residency through arranged marriages and then divorcing soon after.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sor/spouse.asp

Hmmm....

"Effective October 25, 2012, sponsored spouses or partners must now live together in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day they receive permanent residence status in Canada."

This may depend on exactly when your permanent residence status was granted. Sounds to me like it's from when you become a landed resident. Did you complete your landing trip yet?

If you became a permanent resident after 25 October 2012, then this rule could affect you, since you would be required under the new spousal sponsorship rules to live with your wife until October 2014, as I understand it.

If you become a permanent resident prior to 25 October 2012 then I believe this would not apply.

Wayne.

Whooops I just read the "last year" part so I am guessing this means your residency was done in October 2011, not October 2012?

I think as long as you landed prior to October 2012 you should be fine.

Wayne.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:33 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

The rule only applies to applications FILED after October 25.