My situation - Any advice?

Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

nzwasp is on a distinguished road
Default My situation - Any advice?

So my situation is that I am a New Zealander in Calgary. I've been here since March 2007. I have met a lovely girl and we have been living together for a couple of months. My current visa runs out on the 4th of March and I plan to work right up until the expiry. Its a working holiday swap visa, I used a working holiday visa from 2007-2008 and now im on the swap one for 2008-2009. I have pursued another work visa but the process is taking some time. I have asked my employer too provide me with one and I think they are submitting the LMO this week and hopefully that wont take too long and then I can file for a work permit, unfortunately this will only be a six month work permit because I am a contractor to another company and they have only guaranteed my contract until Sept 2009.

I tried to get a permanent job here to go that route with an lmo and workpermit but not many employers are keen to hire InfoTech staff if they have to arrange a visa which takes months to process.

I really want to stay for my girlfriend so im trying to pull out all the stops.

I would like to apply for the CEC but looks like im going to be 1 week shy of having the 2 years experience which is a real bummer I think if I have no other options I will probably submit for this and see if they decide to approve it anyway.

My other options I think could be commonlaw sponsor once we have been living together 12 months - although i've heard this is hard - I'd be waiting along time with no job in Canada which is a real bummer.

Also I think I might be able to get a retail (shudder) job in Calgary because the lmo/workpermit is like 5 days or something because of that expedited process.

The other option would be marriage however hopefully they wouldnt think it was just for immigration purposes - but with unfortunate timing.

If anyone has any comments on what road I should go down that would be great? One of my questions was if you apply for CEC or Skilled worker permanent residence - what time on average do you have to wait before they allow you to work while your application is processed?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My situation - Any advice?

Hi there and welcome.

I'm afraid I don't know the answers to all your questions but wanted to comment on a couple of things. Firstly, do check that you can get a TWP as a contractor? I'm sure I've read somewhere that contractors aren't eligible but do check into that though. I was a bit confused though as you say the TWP would only be for 6 months but then say that's because of a contract with somebody else? Why could the new company that wants to employ you not get a longer TWP? Might be best to clarify that.

Also, a TWP shouldn't take 'months'. Most LMO's now seem to only be taking approx 4 weeks - so do point that out to potential employers as hopefully they wouldn't have to wait any longer than that.

Also, I'm not sure that your idea of getting a retail job will work unless you've got experience in the field? They have to prove that you have the necessary experience to do the job to get the LMO.

Common-law sponsorship seems your best bet and contrary to what you think, it's not difficult at all as long as you can prove you've lived together - so make sure you've got things like a joint bank account, bills in both names, rent in both names, etc.

I hope that's helped a bit, best of luck.

Oh, and forgot to say that you asked about working whilst CEC or SW PR applications are being processed - I have no idea about CEC I'm afraid but you can't work at all whilst SW PR applications are being processed. You are not eligible to work until you actually have PR.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 28th 2008 at 1:59 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

I cant work as a contractor. I meant im getting a TWP to work as a temporary employee. I have been like this for 1.8 years now.

I also used to work retail when I lived in New Zealand. And since its on the e-lmo list and albertas employers are hurting to hire people it might be a chance. We are setting up a bank account to prove all that sort of stuff soon. I'll get my partner to do that with me next week as i guess the proof starts from there even though ive been getting letters and stuff sent to me to here rather.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I think CEC is a good option and you should look into getting an LMO to get that week to complete the 2 years. However, make sure that the job you are doing falls under the right NOC code category. I dont know if retail is in NOC 0, A and B. If its not, that job wont qualify for CEC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../cec/index.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Ray
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

It wont qualify for CEC but i work in information technology here at the moment and im going through the LMO process for that at the moment so if successful i'll be able to apply for CEC in the 3rd week of March. My current job is in NOC B

Retail jobs were my last option to just have some sort of funds if i was without a visa. I know that its a crap option to have but it bides some time while building evidence of living together.