British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   My PR card arrived today!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/my-pr-card-arrived-today-741732/)

chobert Dec 12th 2011 11:35 pm

My PR card arrived today!!!!

:thumbsup::D

Finally I am the proud owner of a PR card!!! It arrived in today's mail.

Here's my story ... landed 3rd March at Halifax (NS) and gave a relative's address as we were returning to the UK to sell our house. Relative moved house in April but my details were included for the forwarding of post. Checked in each month but no PR card arrived.

Arrived in Canada mid August so was able to call the 1-888 number (only available from within Canada!) in order to see where my card was. Eventually got through to someone (a feat in itself!) early September and was told my card had been posted on the 11th April - so had obviously been lost somewhere within the Canada post system!

Anyway, apparently you only have 6 months after they send you your card to advise CIC that your card hasn't arrived so they can send you a solumn declaration form (basically swearing on your life that your card hasn't arrived) - and they only post these forms (won't email them!? :frown:) ... so I had until around second week of October to fax back this from. Form arrived 5th October and I faxed it back same day.

So back to the phone so I could check that they received it ok and how long it would now take for a 'replacement' card. I was told that it would take approx 6-7 weeks for the form to be entered onto their system (:blink:!) and to update my records. Then the card would be sent! ... so advised to call back during the first week of December! I called last Thursday and got through to someone at the first attempt (!) and was told my card was posted last Tuesday - hooray! Finally! ... and it arrived today!!! ...

Just wanted to share this ... thanks for reading and good luck to everyone still waiting ...:thumbup:

Niobii Dec 13th 2011 4:51 pm

Re: My PR card arrived today!!!!

Good God what a stressful time you've had but absolutely well done on getting your PR!! :thumbsup: Grab yourself a bottle of good wine or a nice beer and celebrate, you deserve it! Well done.:)

Shaun_and_Em Dec 13th 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by chobert (Post 9784916)

Congratulations!! :thumbsup: Great news you can now sleep again... Enjoy!!

Howefamily Dec 13th 2011 7:24 pm

CONGRATS! Now you can relax and enjoy life here!:starsmile:

helcat12 Dec 13th 2011 7:49 pm

Result:thumbsup:
Enjoy now;)

Mhut Dec 13th 2011 8:26 pm

Congrats:)

spaceace Dec 13th 2011 8:43 pm

'bout bleedin' time! :thumbup:

...just remind me why we want to live here?

chobert Dec 14th 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 9786707)
'bout bleedin' time! :thumbup:

...just remind me why we want to live here?

Tim Hortons, Canadian Tyre and Walmart!

Seriously though, stunning scenery, loads of space and not much traffic (compared to where we came from!) ... ok so some things take that little bit longer but what's the rush!?

spaceace Dec 14th 2011 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by chobert (Post 9787951)
Tim Hortons, Canadian Tyre and Walmart!

Seriously though, stunning scenery, loads of space and not much traffic (compared to where we came from!) ... ok so some things take that little bit longer but what's the rush!?

I love the FIRST thing that pops into your head :thumbsup:

wiganfem Dec 14th 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by chobert (Post 9784916)

Here's my story ... landed 3rd March at Halifax (NS) and gave a relative's address as we were returning to the UK to sell our house. Relative moved house in April but my details were included for the forwarding of post. Checked in each month but no PR card arrived.

Arrived in Canada mid August so was able to call the 1-888 number (only available from within Canada!) in order to see where my card was. Eventually got through to someone (a feat in itself!) early September and was told my card had been posted on the 11th April - so had obviously been lost somewhere within the Canada post system!

Anyway, apparently you only have 6 months after they send you your card to advise CIC that your card hasn't arrived so they can send you a solumn declaration form (basically swearing on your life that your card hasn't arrived) - and they only post these forms (won't email them!? :frown:) ... so I had until around second week of October to fax back this from. Form arrived 5th October and I faxed it back same day.

So back to the phone so I could check that they received it ok and how long it would now take for a 'replacement' card. I was told that it would take approx 6-7 weeks for the form to be entered onto their system (:blink:!) and to update my records. Then the card would be sent! ... so advised to call back during the first week of December! I called last Thursday and got through to someone at the first attempt (!) and was told my card was posted last Tuesday - hooray! Finally! ... and it arrived today!!! ...

Just wanted to share this ... thanks for reading and good luck to everyone still waiting ...:thumbup:

can i ask how long the whole pr took from start to finish?

thanks

spaceace Dec 14th 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by wiganfem (Post 9788099)
can i ask how long the whole pr took from start to finish?

thanks

he's a special case....his mrs is Canadian, so he got through the back door :p

chobert Dec 14th 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 9788171)
he's a special case....his mrs is Canadian, so he got through the back door :p

I'm always being called a special case! ;) and usually by the wife!

Hi wiganfem .. In answer to your question, please see my timeline below. In summary, we started downloading all the forms last January 2010, sent the off in May 2010 and received Visa in August 2010. As we went down the spousal sponsorship route, I had 12 months from the date of my medical (early May) in which to land and go through immigration to activate my PR. I did this in March 2011 ... Hope this helps? Where are you in the process?

Former Lancastrian Dec 14th 2011 4:48 pm

He is very special having a Canadian wife that means he can move and work anywhere with his wife and not have to worry about the 730 days every 5 year period to meet his residency obligation.
Not that Im advocating we all rush out and marry a Canadian man or woman :lol:

wiganfem Dec 14th 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by chobert (Post 9788410)
I'm always being called a special case! ;) and usually by the wife!

Hi wiganfem .. In answer to your question, please see my timeline below. In summary, we started downloading all the forms last January 2010, sent the off in May 2010 and received Visa in August 2010. As we went down the spousal sponsorship route, I had 12 months from the date of my medical (early May) in which to land and go through immigration to activate my PR. I did this in March 2011 ... Hope this helps? Where are you in the process?

my hubby been over working as truck driver for a month on temp work permit, got lmo etc i to follow in 6mths, then hopefully things will progress from there.
Thanks for your reply, and p.s i wouldnt mind be a special case if it got me there :)