My options for getting PR

Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

_Aidan_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My options for getting PR

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get peoples thoughts on the following. I'm currently in Toronto on my 2nd year. Got first year on working holiday visa (Bunac) and second on work permit through IT LMO exempt program. My current work permit expires on September 1st.

So I want to apply for FSW-Cat2. My manager has said she would have no problem providing me with the letter/job offer required for FSW-C2 saying they'd hire me if I got my PR. I've booked my English test for next month - it's the first step in this process BUT what I have to think about now is my options for getting a 3rd year here so I’m still able to work past September 1st while waiting for my PR to come through.

Options:
1) Extend my work permit that I’m on now through a new LMO. This would be the best option but I’m not sure if HR would sign off on it because they wouldn’t last year. (The work permit I got now, I got through the IT shortage program which meant I didn’t need an LMO. This program stopped last October so I would need an LMO for another work permit.

2) Getting a new working holiday visa from Bunac using my UK passport (which I’ve been in Canada on my last two years.) This would be a lot of hassle – I’d have to get new police check back home and pay all the fees Bunac requires including travel insurance.

3) Getting a new working holiday visa through my Irish passport and hope this doesn’t raise questions as to why I’m changing on paper from Aidan “British” nationality to Aidan “Irish” nationality. The reason why I'd do this is because the new rules have made it a lot easier to get Canadian visas for Irish people.

I think getting my PR through the Federal Skilled Worker route is the better for me than the Canadian Experience Class because if I was to go that route I’d have to wait till I was working here 2years before applying that way (2 years isn't till this December) whereas I can start my application in for the Federal Skilled Worker PR once I do the English test next month.

I think the best option is extending my work permit/getting a new LMO lwhile waiting for the PR to come through. I just have to hope HR will sign off on that and that it will get an ok from the LMO people.

The new Irish visa would be good because I wouldn’t have to hassle my manager/HR for an LMO but I’d just be worried my application for PR would be refused because they would be confused with me changing passports.

Any thoughts people? Anybody?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My options for getting PR

Originally Posted by _Aidan_
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get peoples thoughts on the following. I'm currently in Toronto on my 2nd year. Got first year on working holiday visa (Bunac) and second on work permit through IT LMO exempt program. My current work permit expires on September 1st.

So I want to apply for FSW-Cat2. My manager has said she would have no problem providing me with the letter/job offer required for FSW-C2 saying they'd hire me if I got my PR. I've booked my English test for next month - it's the first step in this process BUT what I have to think about now is my options for getting a 3rd year here so I’m still able to work past September 1st while waiting for my PR to come through.

Options:
1) Extend my work permit that I’m on now through a new LMO. This would be the best option but I’m not sure if HR would sign off on it because they wouldn’t last year. (The work permit I got now, I got through the IT shortage program which meant I didn’t need an LMO. This program stopped last October so I would need an LMO for another work permit.

2) Getting a new working holiday visa from Bunac using my UK passport (which I’ve been in Canada on my last two years.) This would be a lot of hassle – I’d have to get new police check back home and pay all the fees Bunac requires including travel insurance.

3) Getting a new working holiday visa through my Irish passport and hope this doesn’t raise questions as to why I’m changing on paper from Aidan “British” nationality to Aidan “Irish” nationality. The reason why I'd do this is because the new rules have made it a lot easier to get Canadian visas for Irish people.

I think getting my PR through the Federal Skilled Worker route is the better for me than the Canadian Experience Class because if I was to go that route I’d have to wait till I was working here 2years before applying that way (2 years isn't till this December) whereas I can start my application in for the Federal Skilled Worker PR once I do the English test next month.

I think the best option is extending my work permit/getting a new LMO lwhile waiting for the PR to come through. I just have to hope HR will sign off on that and that it will get an ok from the LMO people.

The new Irish visa would be good because I wouldn’t have to hassle my manager/HR for an LMO but I’d just be worried my application for PR would be refused because they would be confused with me changing passports.

I think that your easiest option (to avoid HR) would be to get another working holiday visa through the new UK working holiday visa system - international experience canada $150 (not bunac) and then apply via the canadian experience class
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chanceUK
I think that your easiest option (to avoid HR) would be to get another working holiday visa through the new UK working holiday visa system - international experience canada $150 (not bunac) and then apply via the canadian experience class
Thanks ChanceUK, I didn't know it was now easier for British people to apply again. I'll start my application for it. Do you think I'd have any problems getting it after being here already on a working holiday visa + work permit?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Options:

Hi. The IT worker program expired last September, so you would require an LMO in order to extend your temporary work permit. You have to be working in Canada for the entirety of your PR application, and it is realistically going to take at least 10 to 12 months, so you would definitely need to renew your TWP before you got your visa if you applied now.

Regardless of whether your current employer would continue to employ you after the TWP expires, the issue of the LMO isn't really their call. They need to get a positive LMO from the HRDSC, and that means proving that they have advertised the job for 2 weeks in the previous 3 months without finding a suitable Canadian to fill the post.

Furthermore, I am not sure you could even apply at the moment, because the IT worker programme was designed to fill temporary shortages only and was not designed for anyone wanting to apply for permanent residence (i.e. they may refuse your application for lack of an LMO even though you currently have a TWP).

Looking at what you've said I agree your best option is to try to apply for a fresh LMO. If you get a positive LMO then you can get a TWP for 12 months which will hopefully be enough time to apply for residency.

I am must admit I am know expert on the holiday visa/experience class route so cannot really commit with any kind of experienced view!

Have you checked the occupation list of 29 NOC codes? Have you had 1 year's experience during the past 10 years in any of those? If you have then Category 1 is definitely better since it will not tie you into a job during your residency application and you will not have to worry about your TWP expiring if they take longer than 12 months to finalise it. You would, however, have to come up with the necessary settlement funds.

It may be a good idea to book an IELTS test as soon as possible if you don't have any current results. CIO recognises them for 2 years now so even if you don't apply for residency for another 6 months or so they'll still be valid. But it can take a month or two to actually get a test date.

Anyway, best of luck!

Wayne.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi. The IT worker program expired last September, so you would require an LMO in order to extend your temporary work permit. You have to be working in Canada for the entirety of your PR application, and it is realistically going to take at least 10 to 12 months, so you would definitely need to renew your TWP before you got your visa if you applied now.

Regardless of whether your current employer would continue to employ you after the TWP expires, the issue of the LMO isn't really their call. They need to get a positive LMO from the HRDSC, and that means proving that they have advertised the job for 2 weeks in the previous 3 months without finding a suitable Canadian to fill the post.

Furthermore, I am not sure you could even apply at the moment, because the IT worker programme was designed to fill temporary shortages only and was not designed for anyone wanting to apply for permanent residence (i.e. they may refuse your application for lack of an LMO even though you currently have a TWP).

Looking at what you've said I agree your best option is to try to apply for a fresh LMO. If you get a positive LMO then you can get a TWP for 12 months which will hopefully be enough time to apply for residency.

I am must admit I am know expert on the holiday visa/experience class route so cannot really commit with any kind of experienced view!

Have you checked the occupation list of 29 NOC codes? Have you had 1 year's experience during the past 10 years in any of those? If you have then Category 1 is definitely better since it will not tie you into a job during your residency application and you will not have to worry about your TWP expiring if they take longer than 12 months to finalise it. You would, however, have to come up with the necessary settlement funds.

It may be a good idea to book an IELTS test as soon as possible if you don't have any current results. CIO recognises them for 2 years now so even if you don't apply for residency for another 6 months or so they'll still be valid. But it can take a month or two to actually get a test date.

Anyway, best of luck!

Wayne.
Hey Wayne, thanks for the reply.
It's quite a situation. I didnt' mention in my original post about my worry about the FSW-C2 being rejected because I got my TWP without an LMO. That's a high possibility as well.

My IT job isn't on the 29 needed jobs but it is Category B so it does qualify for FSW-C2 if I have a job offer which I do have.

I've booked the CELPIP English test. It had an available test date sooner than the IELTS and is accepted just the same. But it's not till Feb 29th.

I think my best option would applying for another working holiday visa through my British passport right away today and hope that comes back ok.
If it doesn't work then I can apply for the LMO. How does that sound to you Wayne?

I wonder has anyone ever gone from a working holiday visa to a work permit and then back to a working holiday visa and then permanent resident?!

Aidan
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite a situation. I didnt' mention in my original post about my worry about the FSW-C2 being rejected because I got my TWP without an LMO. That's a high possibility as well.

My IT job isn't on the 29 needed jobs but it is Category B so it does qualify for FSW-C2 if I have a job offer which I do have.

I've booked the CELPIP English test. It had an available test date sooner than the IELTS and is accepted just the same. But it's not till Feb 29th.

I think my best option would applying for another working holiday visa through my British passport right away today and hope that comes back ok.
If it doesn't work then I can apply for the LMO. How does that sound to you Wayne?

I wonder has anyone ever gone from a working holiday visa to a work permit and then back to a working holiday visa and then permanent resident?!

Aidan
the regulations arent particularly clear but say that you need to be a UK resident (being out of the UK temporarily for work or study doesnt affect this since your permanent base is still the UK). Since you have had 2 temporary work visas for canada, I would guess that you will be ok. However, no one knows for sure since the rule change is so new. International Experience Canada doesnt charge you the $150 unless you qualify so I would get your application in ASAP and see whether they accept you.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chanceUK
the regulations arent particularly clear but say that you need to be a UK resident (being out of the UK temporarily for work or study doesnt affect this since your permanent base is still the UK). Since you have had 2 temporary work visas for canada, I would guess that you will be ok. However, no one knows for sure since the rule change is so new. International Experience Canada doesnt charge you the $150 unless you qualify so I would get your application in ASAP and see whether they accept you.
Thanks ChanceUk, I have everything ready to send off for my police check tomorrow. I have to send my application from here in Toronto which is a pain.

I just hope when they get my application for IEC and they look up my file, their reaction isn't "this boy has been here since September 2009, this doesn't seem right" and refuse me.

Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks ChanceUk, I have everything ready to send off for my police check tomorrow. I have to send my application from here in Toronto which is a pain.

I just hope when they get my application for IEC and they look up my file, their reaction isn't "this boy has been here since September 2009, this doesn't seem right" and refuse me.

Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.
lots of other people will be applying having already done 2 working holiday visas in the previous couple of years. Just have to keep your fingers crossed. I'm waiting for my own police check to come back so i can send off my application. I have had a twp before but it was 2 1/2 years ago now. I'm hoping to be able to use the new working holiday visa to get me in canada for the next two years
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Aidan
OK - my understanding is that you cannot apply under FSW2 if the job offer doesn't come with a positive LMO, unless it is in an exempt category such as an intra-company transfer.

CIC I think when they advertised the IT worker programme explicitly stated that it was not designed to be a route to gain residence and was for people wishing to work in Canada only temporarily. So I think this meant "you can't use this as a backdoor for FSW2".

Getting a holiday visa extension will certainly give you some breathing room, and that still won't stop you applying for an LMO. OR you could wait until you have 2 years' experience and then apply under the Canadian Experience Class. But bare in mind the extension will need to cover you until the residency is granted, so unsure that time would be on your side in this case.

I would definitely try to go down the LMO route.

Wayne.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

OK - my understanding is that you cannot apply under FSW2 if the job offer doesn't come with a positive LMO, unless it is in an exempt category such as an intra-company transfer.

CIC I think when they advertised the IT worker programme explicitly stated that it was not designed to be a route to gain residence and was for people wishing to work in Canada only temporarily. So I think this meant "you can't use this as a backdoor for FSW2".

Getting a holiday visa extension will certainly give you some breathing room, and that still won't stop you applying for an LMO. OR you could wait until you have 2 years' experience and then apply under the Canadian Experience Class. But bare in mind the extension will need to cover you until the residency is granted, so unsure that time would be on your side in this case.

Wayne.
Hey Wayne,
I just posted off for my police check to the UK from Toronto. I'll probably get it back in 2weeks. Then I'll apply for the working holiday. That should take 8weeks to get back to me.

If I get the working holiday then that will buy me another 12months. So this September when my TWP is up, I'll leave Toronto and come back in on the working holiday visa. Then I'll get all my documents together to apply for the Canadian Experience Class PR, send that off, and hope it comes back in time before September 2012.

I'll let you know how the working holiday application goes. If it comes back negative I'll try and get the LMO. I think this is the smartest way to go.
Thanks for all the help.
Aidan
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Wayne.
Not quite right for FSW2, you can also qualify without an AEO

1) If you are currently working in Canada:

* your current employer must have made an offer to give you a permanent job if you are accepted as a federal skilled worker, and
* your temporary work permit must be valid both when you apply for a permanent resident visa and when the visa is issued.

In addition:

* your work permit must have been confirmed by Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) through a positive labour market opinion or
* you must be in a category that is exempt from an Arranged Employment Opinion

in order for your offer of employment to be valid.