Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My "Landing" experience in Toronto was over in about 5 minutes!

Wikiposts

My "Landing" experience in Toronto was over in about 5 minutes!

Old Jun 20th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

z030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to behold
Default My "Landing" experience in Toronto was over in about 5 minutes!

Hey,

Just wanted to let you guys know how it went.

Firstly, the Air Canada flight was the worst I have ever been on. It had mad turbulence and I am not exaggerating when I say that I honestly thought the plane was going to come down! At one point in time, I was checking where the life jacket was and thought what a waste that I had gone through three years of Immigration torture when I am going to die on my final destination!

Anyways, the plane managed to land "safely" (obviously). I was requested to go to the immigration bit and by-passed all the people standing in the immigration section; it felt amazing lol. The IO asked me about ten questions at most, many of which were on the landing form so basically he was just confirming the details. He asked to see my bank statement and asked if I am going to transfer the money to Canada and I just said "yes if I need to". He then asked me to sign my landing form in three places and go over to a counter to pick up my Welcome Pack. I said thanks and as I walked away, he whispered: "Welcome to Canada" and that was basically it! Oh and he also said that I shall get my PR card within 4-6 weeks. I went to the counter, got my Welcome Pack and walked away

No-one asked to see my good accompanying list or goods to follow but maybe because I told the IO that I am coming back to the UK. Anyway, that was it, it was all done in a matter of about seven minutes.

Yay, I'm a Canadian Immigrant. By the way, as much as it pains to admit it, I really really feel homesick . What is wrong with me?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice
Default Re: My "Landing" experience in Toronto was over in about 5 minutes!

Congratulations!

Good luck in your new life. And remember, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Adeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really nice

Awesome I hope ours is as smooth as that!!! i mean the immigration bit obviously not the plane bit!!! Congratulations and does it feel weird? to be offical I mean?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

jonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by z030209
Hey,

Just wanted to let you guys know how it went.

Firstly, the Air Canada flight was the worst I have ever been on. It had mad turbulence and I am not exaggerating when I say that I honestly thought the plane was going to come down! At one point in time, I was checking where the life jacket was and thought what a waste that I had gone through three years of Immigration torture when I am going to die on my final destination!

Anyways, the plane managed to land "safely" (obviously). I was requested to go to the immigration bit and by-passed all the people standing in the immigration section; it felt amazing lol. The IO asked me about ten questions at most, many of which were on the landing form so basically he was just confirming the details. He asked to see my bank statement and asked if I am going to transfer the money to Canada and I just said "yes if I need to". He then asked me to sign my landing form in three places and go over to a counter to pick up my Welcome Pack. I said thanks and as I walked away, he whispered: "Welcome to Canada" and that was basically it! Oh and he also said that I shall get my PR card within 4-6 weeks. I went to the counter, got my Welcome Pack and walked away

No-one asked to see my good accompanying list or goods to follow but maybe because I told the IO that I am coming back to the UK. Anyway, that was it, it was all done in a matter of about seven minutes.

Yay, I'm a Canadian Immigrant. By the way, as much as it pains to admit it, I really really feel homesick . What is wrong with me?
yep - i tend to agree, after the 3.5yrs of running thru the "mill" our landing lasted about 10 mins or so, we were not even asked for bank records !!; Toronto landing as well..admittedly they were (IO's) in a shift change when we landed !!
Old Jun 20th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Smile Re: My "Landing" experience in Toronto was over in about 5 minutes!

Congrats and all the best with you new life in Canada.....I am also looking foroward to my landing and new life in Canada......

MR79
Old Jun 20th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Walsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant futureWalsh Clan has a brilliant future

Congratulations! Are you enjoying Toronto so far? When are you heading back this direction?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 6:26 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations, glad you landed safely!
Old Jun 20th 2009, 6:30 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

lol...What are you like!

You'll be fine hun, it's all new and exciting now.....

3 months will fly by and then you won't want to come back to the UK at all!

hugs sent....xxx

Irene..
Old Jun 20th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by z030209
Hey,

Well done for getting there. I am expecting to feel homesick for a year, that's what happened when I went to OZ in my twenties, but think about these things.

1.My mate just came back from Oz after 18 months, he was just getting through his homesickness but had booked flights and sorted work here in the UK. He in now totally miserable and realises it was the biggest mistake of his life to return. DON'T DO WHAT HE DID!

2.You must give yourself at least 1 year before you make any decisions to come back, and my plan is that no matter what happens I will stay for 3 to get my citizenship.

3. Remind yourself of the reasons why you applied for the visa in the first place.

4. Think of the following when the rose tinted spectacles come out:

Chavs
Westminster politicians
The aggression and yobbishness that is endemic in the UK
The future of Canada vs the UK when Oil goes north of $100 again
Overcrowding
The M25
The weather
Tabloid newspapers
The general negativity that exists here

Anyway, in spite of the above, England is a beautiful country with many positives, but ultimately, like me, and everyone else on this forum, you have decided that Canada is better. It is a brave move, and not for the feint hearted, but the rewards will be worth it. Good luck!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:55 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations and good luck.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:26 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations

Great to hear the landing process was really quick and straight forward,
Old Jun 21st 2009, 9:38 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Hoping I get to do that same landing one day Enjoy your new life in Canada and I think its only natural to feel homesick hoefully it will ease with time.