Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My landing experience, Halifax, Nova Scotia

My landing experience, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Old May 25th 2011, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of
Default My landing experience, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hello all, well my wife, my little boy and I landed successfully in Halifax on the 5th May. There was a queue for passport control but we had to waint. On being called, I explained that we would like to land and acitivate our visas as permanent residents. A little bit of paperwork was done there, the stamping of the visas etc. We were then told to go to the immigration desk. Again there was a long wait but my son enjoyed being wheeled around on the trollies. Once we were called, the whole process there took about 15 minutes. I asked whether the photos on the COPR would be sufficient and she said that they would. She then took the address where the PR cards would be sent and gave us the counterfoil from the COPR. She told us to keep hold of that as it would get us back into the country if the PR cards hadn't arrived. As it happens my wife and son are back in the UK and I am over here, so they will need those counterfoils to get back in. It appears that is alll you need, so no other forms that we were told about. We were then given a booklet about verious bits and bobs which I haven't even opened yet. Following that, we then had to get in line to go through customs, here we were sent to another office and presented our Goods to Follow and accompanying. He didn't even want to look at the Goods Accompanying but took two of the copies of the follow, totalled them up and got us to sign both copies on each page. We were then welcomed to Canada and were on our way. Painless.
Old May 25th 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice
Default Re: My landing experience, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Good feeling isn't it and thanks for posting for others - it really is painless. I landed at Halifax on 3rd March .... process was exactly same as yours .... Still haven't received my PR card yet (I used a relatives address as we're now back in the UK waiting for house to sell) ... not overly concerned as we haven't had a letter either saying the photo is no good. Just a waiting game I guess.

Good luck with your move
Old May 25th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Yes, good point. I will let everyone know when I get the PR cards and whether there are any issues.
Old May 26th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all

Hi

I bet we were behind you in the longest que ever to get to passport control. My husband and two children also landed on the 5th May & yes it was easy peasy didn't even ask for proof of funds.
We are back in England now very painfully waiting to sell the house. Will the waiting ever end!!!!

Justie
Old May 26th 2011, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

I thought I would forget something, yes they did ask me for proof of funds and I simply showed them a UK bank statement. They took a note of it and apppeared happy enough. Thanks for the heads up. One other thing, I was told that PR cards would take around 8 weeks.

Last edited by laser558; May 26th 2011 at 11:40 pm.
Old May 27th 2011, 9:47 am
Just Joined

0152.sky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laser558
Hello all, well my wife, my little boy and I landed successfully in Halifax on the 5th May. There was a queue for passport control but we had to waint. On being called, I explained that we would like to land and acitivate our visas as permanent residents. A little bit of paperwork was done there, the stamping of the visas etc. We were then told to go to the immigration desk. Again there was a long wait but my son enjoyed being wheeled around on the trollies. Once we were called, the whole process there took about 15 minutes. I asked whether the photos on the COPR would be sufficient and she said that they would. She then took the address where the PR cards would be sent and gave us the counterfoil from the COPR. She told us to keep hold of that as it would get us back into the country if the PR cards hadn't arrived. As it happens my wife and son are back in the UK and I am over here, so they will need those counterfoils to get back in. It appears that is alll you need, so no other forms that we were told about. We were then given a booklet about verious bits and bobs which I haven't even opened yet. Following that, we then had to get in line to go through customs, here we were sent to another office and presented our Goods to Follow and accompanying. He didn't even want to look at the Goods Accompanying but took two of the copies of the follow, totalled them up and got us to sign both copies on each page. We were then welcomed to Canada and were on our way. Painless.
Hi,
I am probably being a dohh brain - but have you guys literally just landed and then going to look for jobs etc?? or do youhave everything lined up??
Old May 27th 2011, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 0152.sky
Hi,
I am probably being a dohh brain - but have you guys literally just landed and then going to look for jobs etc?? or do youhave everything lined up??
Not a dohh brain at all. Yes, we landed as a family on the 5th May although my wife and little boy are back in the UK. I am decorating the house which I bought back in 2006. I am semi retired if you like but I hope to set something up from home which despite my rural position, still has high speed internet and that's all I need. My wife will try to get something locally and has already possibly got some part-time work. I am, though working to a strict budget as I am holding on a further transfer of funds with the vague hope that the exchange rate might improve. Although funds are tight, I am mortgage free and that helps.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

janni is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, i am new to this forum, living in the UK and considering seriously the options of nova scotia for my self and my family.
My husband is a joiner by trade, with apprentice papers etc and many many yrs of experience (at present self employed here) myself I am presently running a garden centre, and am also qualified in Agri/horses. we have one daughter aged 11 (so will need to locate near schools) and 2 others that may follow but will have degrees as are at uni & over 20yrs old.
my queries - Nova Scotia seems on the face of it to be far easier to be able to emmigrate to than alot of other provinces throughout canada, is this so ?
(We had started to go down the route of the provincial nominee programme for manitoba)- as i have very old friends there (hiccup is now that they are relocating to PEI) they are no longer able to act as longstanding acquaintances.
My other question is : which route seems to be the best option the temp work permit leading to a job, the nominee programme, or a job offer, if the job offer, are there any good websites anyone can recommend.
and one final question to this thread - do you like it there and are you glad you made the move.
thanks guys
Old May 27th 2011, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all

Hi Janni

We have landed ie. activated our PR but haven't actually had the opportunity to live in Nova Scotia as yet so can't help much there. However, we have visited there many times and we know exactly where we want to settle. My husband is also a joiner and I am a physio, although my husband was the main applicant and we applied via the skilled worker route. He will set up in business there just as he is here so we don't have job offers. It seems daunting, but no mortgage, no debt and a good twelve months settlement funds available will give us a good start. Then it is in the hands of the Gods! Take a risk in life , if you dare it might just be the best decision you will ever make.

Good Luck
Justie
Old May 27th 2011, 9:58 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janni
HI, i am new to this forum, living in the UK and considering seriously the options of nova scotia for my self and my family.
My husband is a joiner by trade, with apprentice papers etc and many many yrs of experience (at present self employed here) myself I am presently running a garden centre, and am also qualified in Agri/horses. we have one daughter aged 11 (so will need to locate near schools) and 2 others that may follow but will have degrees as are at uni & over 20yrs old.
my queries - Nova Scotia seems on the face of it to be far easier to be able to emmigrate to than alot of other provinces throughout canada, is this so ?
(We had started to go down the route of the provincial nominee programme for manitoba)- as i have very old friends there (hiccup is now that they are relocating to PEI) they are no longer able to act as longstanding acquaintances.
My other question is : which route seems to be the best option the temp work permit leading to a job, the nominee programme, or a job offer, if the job offer, are there any good websites anyone can recommend.
and one final question to this thread - do you like it there and are you glad you made the move.
thanks guys
you may be better starting your own thread so this gets seen by everyone
Old May 28th 2011, 7:30 am
Just Joined

0152.sky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laser558
Not a dohh brain at all. Yes, we landed as a family on the 5th May although my wife and little boy are back in the UK. I am decorating the house which I bought back in 2006. I am semi retired if you like but I hope to set something up from home which despite my rural position, still has high speed internet and that's all I need. My wife will try to get something locally and has already possibly got some part-time work. I am, though working to a strict budget as I am holding on a further transfer of funds with the vague hope that the exchange rate might improve. Although funds are tight, I am mortgage free and that helps.
Thanks Laser, I could be mortage free and have sufficient funds in the bank for a year or two, but I am a single mum - any thoughts - I have posted onhere before and the feeling I get is its virtually impossible ....
Old May 28th 2011, 8:38 am
Just Joined

janni is an unknown quantity at this point

good idea, thanks will do that.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:08 am
Just Joined

kiwijbob is an unknown quantity at this point

laser558

did you have to pay a fee for the PR card, I saw somewhere that there
was a $50 fee per card? Also what questions were you asked by
the immigration official?

thanks
Old May 29th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwijbob
laser558

did you have to pay a fee for the PR card, I saw somewhere that there
was a $50 fee per card? Also what questions were you asked by
the immigration official?

thanks
Hello, no I didn't have to pay any fee at that time, I had already paid it the previous year. We weren't really asked that many questions. As I say, they wanted to know the address to send the PR cards and also evidence of funds but really, it was so simple.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:45 am
Just Joined

kiwijbob is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, I'm landing on Thursday in Toronto and I'm just going over everything
in detail. So correct me if I'm wrong but the one picture attached to your COPR
is copied and used as the picture for your PR card? I read somewhere that
they take pictures there and then but some also say they brought pictures
with them, I'm a bit confused on this one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.