Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My head is spinning...assistance please

My head is spinning...assistance please

Old Jan 28th 2013, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

gmcnaught001 is just really nicegmcnaught001 is just really nicegmcnaught001 is just really nicegmcnaught001 is just really nicegmcnaught001 is just really nicegmcnaught001 is just really nicegmcnaught001 is just really nicegmcnaught001 is just really nice
Default My head is spinning...assistance please

Hi all. My partner and I are currently looking into the possibility of immigrating to Canada. Having logged a fair amount of time on the Canadian government websites, I am still a little confused about a number of things.

First, our details. We currently live in Singapore, and have done so for around 2 and a half years. Hubby is a secondary school teacher in an international school, and I am currently unemployed, after leaving one of the Big 4 accounting firms after over 5 years to travel. I hold a CA (chartered accountant) qualification and an honours degree, my partner holds a postgraduate degree in teaching alongside his honours degree. We are both british, in our late 20s and are in a civil union. Ideally we would want to move to Vancouver or Toronto.

With the details out of the way, my questions are as follows:

1) If only one of us was to gain employment before arriving, would we both be granted long term visas (greatly helping the other in securing a job)?

2) Without securing a job beforehand, would I (myself) be eligible for any scheme that would allow me to come to Canada on a short to medium term basis to look for a job? This is recognising that finding a job when you are not in the country itself can be pretty difficult.

Any direct answers, or even partial answers to the above will be very greatly appreciated. If I haven't given enough in the way of details, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My head is spinning...assistance please

Originally Posted by gmcnaught001
Hi all. My partner and I are currently looking into the possibility of immigrating to Canada. Having logged a fair amount of time on the Canadian government websites, I am still a little confused about a number of things.

First, our details. We currently live in Singapore, and have done so for around 2 and a half years. Hubby is a secondary school teacher in an international school, and I am currently unemployed, after leaving one of the Big 4 accounting firms after over 5 years to travel. I hold a CA (chartered accountant) qualification and an honours degree, my partner holds a postgraduate degree in teaching alongside his honours degree. We are both british, in our late 20s and are in a civil union. Ideally we would want to move to Vancouver or Toronto.

With the details out of the way, my questions are as follows:

1) If only one of us was to gain employment before arriving, would we both be granted long term visas (greatly helping the other in securing a job)?

2) Without securing a job beforehand, would I (myself) be eligible for any scheme that would allow me to come to Canada on a short to medium term basis to look for a job? This is recognising that finding a job when you are not in the country itself can be pretty difficult.

Any direct answers, or even partial answers to the above will be very greatly appreciated. If I haven't given enough in the way of details, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Most likely need a job offer to get in.
Teaching is a non starter.
You can job hunt on a visitor entry, but have to leave after 6 months.

Take a look on the wiki on this site.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice
Default Re: My head is spinning...assistance please

As both off you would end up with jobs classified as skilled (skill level O, A or B). If one of you can get a Temp Work Permit, then the other would also be entitled to a Spousal Open Work Permit.