British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   My Express Entry - PR application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/my-express-entry-pr-application-912050/)

jwithers Apr 23rd 2018 5:58 pm

My Express Entry - PR application

Hello everybody,

I have been looming the site for a while picking up lots of advice from various threads and thought i would start my own incase anyone is ever in the same situation and wants a place to review any info.

So I am on my second IEC working holiday visa in Toronto now, this time a 2 year VISA and it expires in feb 2019.

In January 2018 I started the process of getting myself together for my PR application, knowing that I would have 1 years work experience in march and wanting to apply straight away when eligible.

First thing i did was sort my WES education certificate using their website, very straight forward, make a profile enter your details and get your certificate uploaded. Then get hold of your university and get them to send a transcript directly to WES. This took approx 2 months to come through from start to finish.

I then completed my CELPIP test in the paragon centre in the eaton centre, was pretty straightforward for most of it although i would say the writing test was the hardest part. The questions asked were casual but the answers were graded on how relatable they would be in the work place. Either way i got 12 for reading, 11 for speaking, 9 for listening and 8 for writing.

This was enough to get me 444 points as i had the following.

- BSc honours degree
- 1 years work experience in england
- 1 years work experience in canada
- 27 years old
- Language test results

So the day after i got my 1 years work experience i put myself into the pools with the 444 points and behold 3 weeks later i get an invitation to apply for my PR - Super excited.

The first stage was to enter further details into the system which included

- Full history of work/ unemployment for last 10 years or 18+ years old
- Full history of travel for last 10 years or 18+ years old
- Full history of places lived for last 10 years or 18+ years old

Now I am at the stage of uploading documents, getting police certs, medical etc.

I will be updating this to show how long it takes and where i got them done.

I live downtown so when it comes to booking my medical I have found a place on richmond which is accredited. Bit weird but its $240 cash only and you can only call on a friday to book at 9am or they dont pick up the phone.

I was wondering, I didnt have a proof of funds requirement like some of the other express entry options but now I am at this stage it requires a proof of funds. I put i had about 6k to bring, does this mean i should get a statement from RBC with a financial report in it?

Cheers

Engineer_abroad Apr 24th 2018 12:08 am

Re: My Express Entry - PR application

Originally Posted by jwithers (Post 12487540)
Hello everybody,

I have been looming the site for a while picking up lots of advice from various threads and thought i would start my own incase anyone is ever in the same situation and wants a place to review any info.

So I am on my second IEC working holiday visa in Toronto now, this time a 2 year VISA and it expires in feb 2019.

In January 2018 I started the process of getting myself together for my PR application, knowing that I would have 1 years work experience in march and wanting to apply straight away when eligible.

First thing i did was sort my WES education certificate using their website, very straight forward, make a profile enter your details and get your certificate uploaded. Then get hold of your university and get them to send a transcript directly to WES. This took approx 2 months to come through from start to finish.

I then completed my CELPIP test in the paragon centre in the eaton centre, was pretty straightforward for most of it although i would say the writing test was the hardest part. The questions asked were casual but the answers were graded on how relatable they would be in the work place. Either way i got 12 for reading, 11 for speaking, 9 for listening and 8 for writing.

This was enough to get me 444 points as i had the following.

- BSc honours degree
- 1 years work experience in england
- 1 years work experience in canada
- 27 years old
- Language test results

So the day after i got my 1 years work experience i put myself into the pools with the 444 points and behold 3 weeks later i get an invitation to apply for my PR - Super excited.

The first stage was to enter further details into the system which included

- Full history of work/ unemployment for last 10 years or 18+ years old
- Full history of travel for last 10 years or 18+ years old
- Full history of places lived for last 10 years or 18+ years old

Now I am at the stage of uploading documents, getting police certs, medical etc.

I will be updating this to show how long it takes and where i got them done.

I live downtown so when it comes to booking my medical I have found a place on richmond which is accredited. Bit weird but its $240 cash only and you can only call on a friday to book at 9am or they dont pick up the phone.

I was wondering, I didnt have a proof of funds requirement like some of the other express entry options but now I am at this stage it requires a proof of funds. I put i had about 6k to bring, does this mean i should get a statement from RBC with a financial report in it?

Cheers

Check your ITA. Was it issued based on the Canadian experience class (CEC) scheme. I assume as you have 1 year of Canadian experience that it was.

If so you do not need and will not be asked to upload proof of funds.

jwithers Apr 24th 2018 12:43 am

Yeah I have been accepted on the CEC scheme, can i take screen shots and upload from the page?

The supporting documents section has the following upload file selections:

Passport/ travel docs
proof of medical exam
police cert - england (required)
education
employment records
employment records
proof of means of financial support
digital photo

Does that just mean I need to show them i have a bit of money to sustain myself?

Cheers

Engineer_abroad Apr 24th 2018 1:21 am

Originally Posted by jwithers (Post 12487801)
Yeah I have been accepted on the CEC scheme, can i take screen shots and upload from the page?

The supporting documents section has the following upload file selections:

Passport/ travel docs
proof of medical exam
police cert - england (required)
education
employment records
employment records
proof of means of financial support
digital photo

Does that just mean I need to show them i have a bit of money to sustain myself?

Cheers

Strange, I knew this used to be a problem but thought it had been sorted since I was never asked to upload anything. Is there any clarification given on the question mark next to the title? I know some people used to upload a letter of explanation stating they were applying via CEC so no proof of funds was required and the attach copy of current job contract or offer to show they had income

Siouxie Apr 25th 2018 4:18 am

Note: You do not have to meet the funds requirement if you were invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class.

The system currently asks all applicants to provide a proof of funds document. If you don’t need to provide proof of funds, you must upload a letter explaining either that you have been invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, or that you have a valid job offer.

Do I need to include proof of funds for Express Entry?

:)

Engineer_abroad Apr 25th 2018 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12488596)
Note: You do not have to meet the funds requirement if you were invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class.

The system currently asks all applicants to provide a proof of funds document. If you don’t need to provide proof of funds, you must upload a letter explaining either that you have been invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, or that you have a valid job offer.

Do I need to include proof of funds for Express Entry?

its really strange when I did my application online for CEC I wasn't asked to upload anything for proof of funds.

Siouxie Apr 25th 2018 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12488960)
its really strange when I did my application online for CEC I wasn't asked to upload anything for proof of funds.

Sounds like you got lucky!

It is strange, I agree - but then when does CIC's technology every make sense!

jwithers Apr 30th 2018 1:17 pm

Ahh awesome, thanks for the heads up on that one. I think I will write a letter saying that I will be on the CEC so no need for the proof of funds. But I have a job at present and savings so is it better to upload those as well to show that i am stable or can it cause a bit of confusion?

Update - Doctors appointment tomorrow at Dr Elliot Cantors on 100 richmond street, $240 cash only and you have to get X-rays and blood tests off site which are $45.

Got another question as well, one of my friends told me that I don't need a canadian police certificate as I am applying to Canada, not sure if this is true or not as it won't be too hard to get one. I have lived here for 2 years + so over the 6 month minimum requirement.

Cheers :)

Siouxie Apr 30th 2018 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by jwithers (Post 12491792)
Ahh awesome, thanks for the heads up on that one. I think I will write a letter saying that I will be on the CEC so no need for the proof of funds. But I have a job at present and savings so is it better to upload those as well to show that i am stable or can it cause a bit of confusion?

Update - Doctors appointment tomorrow at Dr Elliot Cantors on 100 richmond street, $240 cash only and you have to get X-rays and blood tests off site which are $45.

Got another question as well, one of my friends told me that I don't need a canadian police certificate as I am applying to Canada, not sure if this is true or not as it won't be too hard to get one. I have lived here for 2 years + so over the 6 month minimum requirement.

Cheers :)

No, there is no need for a Police check for Canada. If they require one, they will let you know - it's normally only requested if you have the same name / birthdate etc., of someone that is known - and then, it's usually a request for fingerprints.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...qnum=037&top=4

and How to get a police certificate - Canada

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No

jwithers Apr 30th 2018 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12491962)
No, there is no need for a Police check for Canada. If they require one, they will let you know - it's normally only requested if you have the same name / birthdate etc., of someone that is known - and then, it's usually a request for fingerprints.

Do I need to provide a police certificate for my time in Canada?

and How to get a police certificate - Canada

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No

Awesome, thank you for your help!

jwithers May 8th 2018 5:57 pm

Update, had my medical.

Went to Dr Elliot Cantor on richmond and university. Very straightforward, took about 10 minutes to do the physical and urine sample. Then headed up to dundas and uni to get blood and chest x rays done, all in all about 1.5 hours.

Got a confirmation of completion from the doctors which i need to upload.

Got a question regarding the digital photo, do they have the booths in canada? Or is it worth just taking a digital photo and uploading it? Obviously with a white wall background and fitting the requirements etc.

Has anyone got a recruitment background and done their letters of employment? Id be intrigued to see what they looked like.

Cheers

DigitalGhost May 8th 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by jwithers (Post 12496169)
Update, had my medical.

Went to Dr Elliot Cantor on richmond and university. Very straightforward, took about 10 minutes to do the physical and urine sample. Then headed up to dundas and uni to get blood and chest x rays done, all in all about 1.5 hours.

Got a confirmation of completion from the doctors which i need to upload.

Got a question regarding the digital photo, do they have the booths in canada? Or is it worth just taking a digital photo and uploading it? Obviously with a white wall background and fitting the requirements etc.

Has anyone got a recruitment background and done their letters of employment? Id be intrigued to see what they looked like.

Cheers

Two ways to do it. You can do it yourself and save a few quid if you want to. There are websites that can reformat your picture with the correct size so you shouldn't have any problems. Doing it that way worked for me anyway.

Option two is to go to a photo place. They're pretty much everywhere in the Canadian major cities due to the large number of immigrants who need them, not to mention Canadian passport applicants. They will know exactly what to do and will make sure your photo is of an acceptable standard.

​​​​​​When it comes to your final COPR photo then you need to with option two because the photo has to be stamped by the company who took it.

jwithers May 8th 2018 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12496203)
Two ways to do it. You can do it yourself and save a few quid if you want to. There are websites that can reformat your picture with the correct size so you shouldn't have any problems. Doing it that way worked for me anyway.

Option two is to go to a photo place. They're pretty much everywhere in the Canadian major cities due to the large number of immigrants who need them, not to mention Canadian passport applicants. They will know exactly what to do and will make sure your photo is of an acceptable standard.

​​​​​​When it comes to your final COPR photo then you need to with option two because the photo has to be stamped by the company who took it.

Ok brilliant, that makes things easier for the PR photo. Do they send you a digital copy or do you have to scan it yourself to upload?

I guess it makes sense to take my own and resize it online for the police certificate photo, this is amazing info by the way, I've always found it hard to get sizing etc right, cool start up/ app idea :D - https://www.persofoto.com/upload/passport-photo

DigitalGhost May 8th 2018 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by jwithers (Post 12496209)
Ok brilliant, that makes things easier for the PR photo. Do they send you a digital copy or do you have to scan it yourself to upload?

I guess it makes sense to take my own and resize it online for the police certificate photo, this is amazing info by the way, I've always found it hard to get sizing etc right, cool start up/ app idea :D - https://www.persofoto.com/upload/passport-photo

If you went to a local photo place then I'd imagine you need to scan it yourself but honestly you don't need to. For your profile I'd say just take your own photo and use a free online formatting tool. Save your money for later down the line.

jwithers May 8th 2018 8:08 pm

Okay spot on, sounds good! Thanks for the help :D