Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My employers will only submit documents directly to CHC and not to me

My employers will only submit documents directly to CHC and not to me

Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all
Default My employers will only submit documents directly to CHC and not to me

I'm applying under the FSW programme and, thinking I would be organised, I have requested references etc in advance of receiving the 120 day letter.

Unfortunately, all my previous employers have said that they will only provide documents directly to a third party and not to me. This is a pain as it means documents will arrive at the High Commission piecemeal (I have five sets of employment documents to submit) and it also means I cannot confirm that all the relevant information is included, even though I have explained it all to my employers.

Does anybody know if CHC will accept references etc directly from the employers, if I submit the rest of the pack and make sure they include the case reference number?

This is a complete pain, but probably not that unusual as a lot of big companies have a policy of not giving references etc to the individual concerned.

Still not happy though!

Mark
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My employers will only submit documents directly to CHC and not to me

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
I'm applying under the FSW programme and, thinking I would be organised, I have requested references etc in advance of receiving the 120 day letter.

Unfortunately, all my previous employers have said that they will only provide documents directly to a third party and not to me. This is a pain as it means documents will arrive at the High Commission piecemeal (I have five sets of employment documents to submit) and it also means I cannot confirm that all the relevant information is included, even though I have explained it all to my employers.

Does anybody know if CHC will accept references etc directly from the employers, if I submit the rest of the pack and make sure they include the case reference number?

This is a complete pain, but probably not that unusual as a lot of big companies have a policy of not giving references etc to the individual concerned.

Still not happy though!

Mark

MY OH has had the same, some happy to send them to us others same as you OH is IT i think this does seem to be the norm, not sure what the answer is, did you tell them its for immigration ?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My employers will only submit documents directly to CHC and not to me

I had one who I compromised on - they wrote it, stuck it in an envelop and signed over the seal as well as stating in teh letter that they were going to do so so as to guarantee I hadn't read it.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

tioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nice

I didn't have this problem with my employers thankfully (although it's still a struggle with some of them), but surely your employer has a legal obligation (re Data Protection / Freedom of Information) to provide the information to you.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

z030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to behold

Still not happy though!

Mark
It's weird because you're not requesting any sensitive information such as your conduct or anything like that. Are your employers aware of this? All you need from them is confirmation that you worked there, hours, job title, duties etc., absolutely nothing needs to be mentioned about your conduct. It's odd considering that I've never had any problems and I've worked for Parliament and the Police! Maybe re-iterate to them what it is that you require and make sure you tell them it's for immigration and that them sending it to CIC directly will not serve any purpose... arghh, the muppets!!

Good Luck
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Thanks for the tips guys. Thankfully, a couple of them have come around, but one in particular is still sticking to "company policy". I'm hoping to talk him around, but I'm not optimistic. He doesn't really have anything to gain by helping me out, and everything to lose if his global head in Germany finds out he breached policy.

Unfortunately, I cannot even find my contract, though I do have payslips which show that I was employed for the period in question. They only show I was an employee however, and not what my role was.

Has anybody had to allow firms to send employment references direct? I was hoping that if I gave the company my case number, and explained in my pack that the reference would come separately (but still give CHC what I have) then CHC may be able to match the reference to the rest of the pack, or am I being stupidly naive and optimistic???
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:30 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips guys. Thankfully, a couple of them have come around, but one in particular is still sticking to "company policy". I'm hoping to talk him around, but I'm not optimistic. He doesn't really have anything to gain by helping me out, and everything to lose if his global head in Germany finds out he breached policy.

Unfortunately, I cannot even find my contract, though I do have payslips which show that I was employed for the period in question. They only show I was an employee however, and not what my role was.

Has anybody had to allow firms to send employment references direct? I was hoping that if I gave the company my case number, and explained in my pack that the reference would come separately (but still give CHC what I have) then CHC may be able to match the reference to the rest of the pack, or am I being stupidly naive and optimistic???
Hi

If I were in your shoes I would want to do everything I could to get my application package together and send all at the same time in one hit myself. Whilst there is no reason to think CHC can't match up piecemeal bits of evidence I would not be surprised if things went missingI think you will feel a lot more confident knowing that everything is in the envelope that they need.

Also, the application process requests that all documents are submitted with your application, so I think this kind of states they cannot be sent in separately

As far as contracts, I would have thought it shouldn't be an issue to get copies from your employers?

I would try working on the employers, as another posted mentioned explain exactly what they are for, ie its nothing to do with another employer, the information CHC require is really just confirmation of facts. Also perhaps suggest Caitalins example re them sealing the envelope if they are concerned.

Good luck
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Hi -I was wondering the exact same thing and I think the biggest problem is that there is nothing in it for the employer and if you've moved on to say a better job some of them think 'why bother?' Also I'm finding that when I mention 'immigration' they seem to not want to commit themselves to anything not knowing what might come back to them. Don't know that there's any solution though...just thought I'd symathise!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I too do not see what the problem is - but I understand you are up against a serious jobsworth.

""Dear Sir

I can confirm that Fred Bloggs was employed on a full-time/part-time basis with us from (date) until (date) in the capacity of blah, blah, blah.

Love and kisses, HR person ""

Jeesh - why do some people make things so hard?!

Can you just take the letters you can - and then provide your own cover letter with copies of payslips/P60 or something else, and explain that for reasons unknown to yourself, "XYZ Previous Employer" will not provide the letter you require.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I too do not see what the problem is - but I understand you are up against a serious jobsworth.

""Dear Sir

I can confirm that Fred Bloggs was employed on a full-time/part-time basis with us from (date) until (date) in the capacity of blah, blah, blah.

Love and kisses, HR person ""

Jeesh - why do some people make things so hard?!

Can you just take the letters you can - and then provide your own cover letter with copies of payslips/P60 or something else, and explain that for reasons unknown to yourself, "XYZ Previous Employer" will not provide the letter you require.
Wonder if you do that and state in your update letter that the companies are only willing to write to them direct, what would happen ?

Is anyone going to the immigration show ? maybe they could ask there, isn't there usually a CIC representative there ?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

tioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nice

Perhaps those employers refusing to give you the documents could at least provide a formal letter stating as much. You could include that with your application as proof of their position, along with any payslips or other docs you happen to have.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

I agree - ensure that they know you are not asking for a character reference but rather just confirmation you worked for the company.

Failing that I would let it go quiet for a bit and then get one sent to an address you control Could be a friend with their own company who is looking to hire you
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Further to what I said before - I did this exact thing, but for different reasons. One of my previous employers had long since gone out of business and the main man was probably sunning himself somewhere hot and sunny - and another employer had long since retired and was living who-knows-where. I simply outlined this in a cover letter to CHC, and provided one bit of proof which was simply a farewell letter from an old boss wishing me well in my new endeavours! Nothing was queried by CHC.

I think if you make all reasonable attempts to fulfill their requirements, that is fair. There may always be somethings that are impossible to prove absolutely.