My circumstances and status

Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute
Default My circumstances and status

I said i wouldn't post again .. but here i am .. with hopefully the last question .. but never say never ..

So me and the kids have PR status via the family class visa .. i know you have to be in Canada 2 out of 5 years to get citizenship .. so my question is

The marriage is over .. it wont be a question of IF but WHEN i start divorce proceedings .. so how does this affect my PR status???

He would normally have to support me for 3 years and the children 10 yrs .. so with divorce in toe .. do we lose our status .. or do we keep it regardless of the situation???

Any advice would be useful for future note ..

Thank you
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My circumstances and status

Originally Posted by sas-lou
I said i wouldn't post again .. but here i am .. with hopefully the last question .. but never say never ..

So me and the kids have PR status via the family class visa .. i know you have to be in Canada 2 out of 5 years to get citizenship .. so my question is

The marriage is over .. it wont be a question of IF but WHEN i start divorce proceedings .. so how does this affect my PR status???

He would normally have to support me for 3 years and the children 10 yrs .. so with divorce in toe .. do we lose our status .. or do we keep it regardless of the situation???

Thank you
I don't believe you lose your status, but you would have to maintain it in the same way as any other PR. Perhaps someone could confirm/deny this ?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:33 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Hi Sas-Lou, i just want to say it's nice to see you back. I can't help with your questions sorry, but i'm glad your not closing the door on Canada altogether hun, Good luck...
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

You don't lose your PR by divorcing. But you don't tell us enough about your circumstances, for example, if you are living in Britain you may not have the legal right to remove your children back to Canada, without a court order.

Or are you in Canada?

Also, you have misunderstood the rules for citizenship.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:13 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't. The two years out of five rule is to maintain your PR status. i.e. if you left Canada on 01/01/09 you would have to return by the end of 2011 and live there for at least two continuous years.

You have to live in Canada for three years before you can apply for citizenship.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:34 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't, as others have indicated, the PR just has to be maintained in the regular ways.

He would normally have to support me for 3 years and the children 10 yrs
I believe the real point of that undertaking is, that if you have to claim any assistance from the Canadian Government, then they have the right to have him repay it. There might be variance on opinion on this but, if you're expecting this support, it might be worth seeking legal advice to find out where you stand.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You don't lose your PR by divorcing. But you don't tell us enough about your circumstances, for example, if you are living in Britain you may not have the legal right to remove your children back to Canada, without a court order.

Or are you in Canada?

Also, you have misunderstood the rules for citizenship.
Thank you for all the replies .. We are back in the UK, have been since January 22nd 09 .. although i did go back alone for a week in February (what a waste of money) .. well i got the court order last August to take the kids over .. he isn't even aware we are back and i would like to keep it that way .. he hadn't seen the kids in years and would only rub it in my face anyway.

Its just an idea .. in case a situation arises where i can return.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for all the replies .. We are back in the UK, have been since January 22nd 09 .. although i did go back alone for a week in February (what a waste of money) .. well i got the court order last August to take the kids over .. he isn't even aware we are back and i would like to keep it that way .. he hadn't seen the kids in years and would only rub it in my face anyway.

Its just an idea .. in case a situation arises where i can return.
Hi,

Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear your marriage is ending after moving to Canada, don't know the details but I hope you make it back there, use your PR, find a job and meet a guy over there!!
Good Luck!!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mags1972
Hi,

Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear your marriage is ending after moving to Canada, don't know the details but I hope you make it back there, use your PR, find a job and meet a guy over there!!
Good Luck!!
Well said that woman! Lots of hunky Canadian men still out there Sas-Lou..............
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Well said that woman! Lots of hunky Canadian men still out there Sas-Lou..............
Hey Oompa, I'm a guy, just sympathising and hoping the best for sas-lou!!