Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Multiple convictions criminal rehabilitation

Multiple convictions criminal rehabilitation

Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

razal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Multiple convictions criminal rehabilitation

Hi,

I would be extremely grateful if you can definitively answer my question: I have multiple (9) petty theft and 2 DUI convictions in the US, all occurred 12+ years ago, can I still apply for rehabilitation for the purposes of entering Canada? Everywhere I look it seems that they mention only 1 conviction. Where can I find verbiage that says that even multiple convictions can apply for a rehabilitation certificate?

Thanks in advance.
-raz
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:55 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple convictions criminal rehabilitation

You can certainly apply for rehabilitation since 12 years have passed. You ask for a citation but I do not think there is one so specific.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There is mention of 'conviction for two or more offences' on the guide to criminal rehab on the CIC website though, which may help the OP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...des/5312E3.asp

Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the reply. The citation on the immigration site mentioned 2 or more summary offenses but not indictable, which petty theft and dui are. This is a great forum, I'm going to start my rehab app with those many old offenses. I will post details of my progress.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by razal View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. The citation on the immigration site mentioned 2 or more summary offenses but not indictable, which petty theft and dui are.
Yes it does, it's down the bottom of the page I gave you the link to - right below the bit about 2 or more summary offenses.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi the citation mentions crimes committed in Canada. My question is if the 2 or more indictable offenses were committed outside of Canada, in us.

Is this what you are referring to: "Conviction for two or more indictable offences in Canada"?

Or maybe im not reading it correctly.

Thanks.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi the citation mentions crimes committed in Canada. My question is if the 2 or more indictable offenses were committed outside of Canada, in us.
I don't think it mentions several offences outside of Canada though, so that's the closest thing I can see. It does mention it at the top of the page, but doesn't specifically say indictable (or summary).
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
I don't think it mentions several offences outside of Canada though, so that's the closest thing I can see. It does mention it at the top of the page, but doesn't specifically say indictable (or summary).
thanks, thats what I saw too and it was strange, specially with multiple people saying that you can apply with multiple offenses.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks, thats what I saw too and it was strange, specially with multiple people saying that you can apply with multiple offenses.
I don't think it's strange, it's telling you that you need criminal rehab with multiple convictions. If it doesn't specifically say indictable or summary, then it's probably just because it doesn't matter what kind of conviction they are.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
I don't think it's strange, it's telling you that you need criminal rehab with multiple convictions. If it doesn't specifically say indictable or summary, then it's probably just because it doesn't matter what kind of conviction they are.
I like your reasoning: "If it doesn't specifically say indictable or summary, then it's probably just because it doesn't matter".

You are most likely right about this.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I like your reasoning: "If it doesn't specifically say indictable or summary, then it's probably just because it doesn't matter".

You are most likely right about this.
Could be wrong, but that's how I read it - that whatever kind of convictions they are, if you have multiple, you need rehab no matter what.