Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

MSP timeline: how long does it take to get the MSP card?

MSP timeline: how long does it take to get the MSP card?

Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:36 am
Just Joined

coffee ice cream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MSP timeline: how long does it take to get the MSP card?

Hi, I hear MSP takes very long time to get it, but just wonder how long is expected? I have applied last June and have not got it yet. Can you tell me your experience?
Thanks.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:38 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSP timeline: how long does it take to get the MSP card?

Originally Posted by coffee ice cream
Hi, I hear MSP takes very long time to get it, but just wonder how long is expected? I have applied last June and have not got it yet. Can you tell me your experience?
Thanks.
There seems to be something wrong but you'll have to check with MSP and give some details or your application so that it can be hunted down.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

I found the following information on BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) website:

When does Coverage Begin?

New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a waiting period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months. For example, if an eligible person arrives during the month of July, coverage is available October 1. If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the waiting period, eligibility for coverage may be affected.

You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the waiting period, to allow time for your application to be processed.

Their website is http://www.hlth.gov.bc.ca/msp/

We had a lot of hassles getting my husband covered while he was going through the PR process (Inland Spousal). You may find the following MSP fax # handy.... (250) 952-3427.

Oggy
Old Sep 4th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

We also applied in June and have not heard anything yet.I phoned them about 10 days ago and they had our application but we weren't even on the system yet. The lady I spoke to said it takes at least 90 days and often longer. I think there is another posting, probably archived by now about them having been privatised. They have been fined for not meeting targets.

The local family doctor to here will not let us register without our MSP numbers. When I asked what happens if one of us falls in and our private insurance has expired. She told me that we'd have to pay for everything and keep the receipts. When the cards etc came through, they would reimburse us any money owed.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed no one falls ill as our private insurance runs out on 18 September. I'm asthmatic, but I had the foresight to bring 6 inhalers with me from the UK when we left - not sure how much they will cost over here.

Louise

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
I found the following information on BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) website:

When does Coverage Begin?

New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a waiting period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months. For example, if an eligible person arrives during the month of July, coverage is available October 1. If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the waiting period, eligibility for coverage may be affected.

You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the waiting period, to allow time for your application to be processed.

Their website is http://www.hlth.gov.bc.ca/msp/

We had a lot of hassles getting my husband covered while he was going through the PR process (Inland Spousal). You may find the following MSP fax # handy.... (250) 952-3427.

Oggy