MSP coverage when changing visas

Old Oct 7th 2020, 3:02 am
Just Joined

ECrossman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MSP coverage when changing visas

Hi,

We are super confused and really hoping for some advice!!

We are brits currently in Vancouver on 2 year IEC visas. We'd like to stay longer and started to apply for the usual express entry route to PR (federal skilled worker) however whilst gathering the documentation we discovered I was pregnant and therefore I could not fully complete the medical exam (xray part).

We are planning to still apply to the pool anyway however there will be a period from Feb 2021 (when our current visas expire) to April 2021 (when the baby is born and I can complete the exam) where we will be on, we presume, implied status.

Our understanding is that on implied status you don't have MSP coverage (technically people on implied status are covered at the moment because of Covid but this may no longer be the policy in February) so we will have to pay all the costs for the birth ourselves. We are willing to do this if necessary but we are hoping there is a way we can guarantee that we will have MSP coverage during that time.

Any ideas? We've looked at applying through the PNP route instead but not sure this will make any difference?

​​​​​​Any advice very much appreciated
Thank you
Ella
Old Oct 7th 2020, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSP coverage when changing visas

I'm confused. Under Express Entry you shouldn't complete the medical until you have been selected from the pool. You don't need a medical to be in the pool and doing it earlier risks the medical expiring and having to be redone.
Once you have been selected from the pool and submitted a full EE application then you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit. I think with the receipt for this permit application you can get MSP coverage but do check to be sure.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 4:07 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ECrossman
Hi,

We are brits currently in Vancouver on 2 year IEC visas. We'd like to stay longer and started to apply for the usual express entry route to PR (federal skilled worker) however whilst gathering the documentation we discovered I was pregnant and therefore I could not fully complete the medical exam (xray part).

We are planning to still apply to the pool anyway however there will be a period from Feb 2021 (when our current visas expire) to April 2021 (when the baby is born and I can complete the exam) where we will be on, we presume, implied status.

Hi
Our understanding is that on implied status you don't have MSP coverage (technically people on implied status are covered at the moment because of Covid but this may no longer be the policy in February) so we will have to pay all the costs for the birth ourselves. We are willing to do this if necessary but we are hoping there is a way we can guarantee that we will have MSP coverage during that time.

Any ideas? We've looked at applying through the PNP route instead but not sure this will make any difference?

Thank you
Ella
1, Have you received an Invitation to apply? It appears not, so why are you having a medical examination?
2. Once your IEC expires, your status runs out, unless you have submitted an application and a bridging open work permit application you will have to extend your status as a visitor.
3. As a visitor you will not be eligible for BCMSP.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 4:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ECrossman
Hi,

Thank you
Ella
-

Hi - welcome to BE!

Have you checked your CRS points for EE, are you likely to receive an invitation from the pool? You can check them here: (Assume for the tool that you have got your IELTS at top levels) - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp
You say your applying under EE, but under which ''program' - Canadian Experienced Class / FSW Trades / Skilled Worker?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...y/compare.html
The medical is not required until and unless you recieve an Invitation To Apply (ITA)

Is there any chance that your employer(s) would sponsor you for Provincial Nomination?