MSP

Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:18 am
Just Joined

samanthaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MSP

Hi guys.

I am looking to travel to Canada on a WHP and have been looking for good holiday insurance. I am intending to go for around 12months. I have been searching forums and found that the general advice is get some travel insurance with working cover for around 3-4 months. Then, after this, providing I have a job I will be classed as a citizen and be entitled to MSP??

Can anybody confirm if this is correct or not?

Many thanks

Sam
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSP

You certainly wouldn't be 'classed as a citizen' - you'd be at least 5 years away from being able to obtain Canadian citizenship!

You may be able to qualify under provincial healthcare if you are working temporarily there though, is that what you mean?

But in any event, it's a condition of the IEC visa that you must show travel insurance 'for the entire duration of your stay', so it doesn't really help as you'll still need to pay for a year's worth.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 6th 2012 at 5:33 am.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Sorry, resident not citizen. Aah I see. Its not something I have thought of doing before and I am just having a browse at the possibilities. Is it only in BC that this applies or all Canada? I have only looked at the BC website.

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samanthaa
Sorry, resident not citizen. Aah I see. Its not something I have thought of doing before and I am just having a browse at the possibilities. Is it only in BC that this applies or all Canada? I have only looked at the BC website.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Only in BC that what applies - that there is provincial healthcare, or that you'd need health/travel insurance for the full year of the IEC?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:55 am
Just Joined

The healthcare. The problem I am having. Is with a pre existing medical condition. I suffer from psoriasis which is like eczema. It's not a problem toward my health in any way buy I do keep it under control with meds. I can only get 3 months supply to take with me as I need regular blood tests to remain on them. Travel insurance is extortionate (even if available) even though it is a simple skin condition. Therefore I am trying to look down all avenues as to what I need to do to remain on medication if at all possible
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

The healthcare. The problem I am having. Is with a pre existing medical condition. I suffer from psoriasis which is like eczema. It's not a problem toward my health in any way buy I do keep it under control with meds. I can only get 3 months supply to take with me as I need regular blood tests to remain on them. Travel insurance is extortionate (even if available) even though it is a simple skin condition. Therefore I am trying to look down all avenues as to what I need to do to remain on medication if at all possible
Ah I see. Well each province has their own rules for healthcare, but each province has a provincial healthcare program - some would cover you immediately, some would require a waiting period of say 3 months before you'd be eligible for it.

But you say 'travel insurance is extortionate' as if you can just use provincial cover instead - but as mentioned above, if you are going via the IEC, you *must* have a year's travel insurance, as it's a requirement of the program. Quite simply, no travel insurance, no visa!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:11 am
Just Joined

But if I was eligible for a plan then maybe a standard urgent care travel insurance would be better than one with a pre existing condition. Due to the fact that I wouldn't claim on it. Or would i still have to declare that?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:12 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

IEC status expires if your private health/travel insurance expires.

BC MSP does allow an IEC permit holder to obtain provincial healthcare after being resident for ~3 months provided that they work on average 18 hours per week. http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/faqas.html#whp

So you will need to maintain the private health insurance but in your 4th month in BC you can additionally use public healthcare.

Last edited by BTJ; Jan 6th 2012 at 7:14 am.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks yeah I get that now. It's just the level of insurance I'm pondering now
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:18 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Ok thanks yeah I get that now. It's just the level of insurance I'm pondering now
Well that is entirely down to your own risk level. What if whatever your pre-existing condition is requires medical attention? But then perhaps the difference in premium cost would be better spent on beer?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:20 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Also bear in mind that BC MSP does not cover prescription medicines as far as I am aware.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Haha exactly my thought! It won't require medical attention until about 5 months into my visit which is a routine blood sample to acquire more tablets. If I'm there that long which I hope to be. What I need to know is if I'm eligible and in a health plan by then, will I be covered for this? Everything is pretty confusing a the moment
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

That's fine I don't mind paying prescription. Just the one or two blood samples that may be required during the stay
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:25 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Haha exactly my thought! It won't require medical attention until about 5 months into my visit which is a routine blood sample to acquire more tablets. If I'm there that long which I hope to be. What I need to know is if I'm eligible and in a health plan by then, will I be covered for this? Everything is pretty confusing a the moment
Yes, the idea of a pre-existing condition not being covered does not apply to provincial health plans.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

But if I was eligible for a plan then maybe a standard urgent care travel insurance would be better than one with a pre existing condition.
Not sure a 'standard urgent care' plan would qualify tbh, CIC say that your travel insurance must cover 'health care, hospitalization and repatriation'.

HTH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.