Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ms. Elinor Caplan no longer in charge of Citizenship & Immigration?

Ms. Elinor Caplan no longer in charge of Citizenship & Immigration?

Old Jan 15th 2002, 3:53 am
Ihate Spam

Greetings to everybody. Subject wraps it up... any impressions about Denis Coderre?
Am I getting lucky? Opinions by experts are welcome.

Regards,

Pac Need my email? Just ask!

Old Jan 15th 2002, 3:59 am
Andrew Miller

Don't keep your hopes up for any major changes in the immigration policy or drastic
rewriting of pre-published regulations. It is just a routine cabinet shuffling
after one minister (Tobin) resigned from the major portfolio. We'll just have to
wait and see...

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 9:51 am
James Metcalfe

I dont know where AM gets the impression that this is a routine shuffle as that is
not how it has been portrayed in Central Canada. Tobin did not cause the shuffle he
was a casualty of the shuffle. Most pundits have agreed that Caplan was taost and
this is evidenced by her demotion and the rise of Caudere. Time will tell if there
are any major changes to the proposed regs but my money is on major changes
particularly to retroactivity. It is easier for a new Minister to back off from
unpopular legislation than the one who championed it in parliament.

Jim Metcalfe

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 2:01 pm
Heather

I can understand that there are other reasons for the reshuffling besides Brian Tobin
leaving, but to consider that being a minister of CCRA as a demotion? Could you
please enlighten me how that is a demotion?

Heather

>
    >
cause
    >
that
    >
    >
regs
    >
easier
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 16th 2002, 12:07 am
James Metcalfe

Heather:

I think I could start by asking you who were the last 5 ministers in charge
of the CCRA.

Jim metcalfe

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I dont know where AM gets the impression that this is a routine shuffle[/usenetquote2]
as
[usenetquote2]> > that is not how it has been portrayed in Central Canada. Tobin did not[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > the shuffle he was a casualty of the shuffle. Most pundits have agreed[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Caplan was taost and this is evidenced by her demotion and the rise of Caudere.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Time will tell if there are any major changes to the proposed[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > but my money is on major changes particularly to retroactivity. It is[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > for a new Minister to back off from unpopular legislation than the one[/usenetquote2]
who
[usenetquote2]> > championed it in parliament.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jim Metcalfe[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jan 16th 2002, 12:18 am
Stuart

>
    >
    >

The Revenue Minister basically only oversees the operation of CCRA (to make them
accountable to someone. The actual country's finances are under the Minister of
Finance who is responsible for all the country's money policies. That's why it's a
demotion. The job is basically a "somebody to flog" when CCRA screws up as it is
prone to do.

Stuart

Old Jan 16th 2002, 2:08 am
Heather

Thank you Stuart for your reply that makes sense.
--
Heather

>
[usenetquote2]> > I can understand that there are other reasons for the reshuffling besides Brian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Tobin leaving, but to consider that being a minister of CCRA as a demotion? Could[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you please enlighten me how that is a demotion?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
make
    >
    >
    >
to
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 16th 2002, 12:40 pm
Berto Volpentesta

A junior to this post could be bad news. After all the department is = big, bad and
scary as it is. A newcomer, unless he has the backing of a = powerful person (PM
perhaps) won't be effective. I would also look for = a few DMs to be moved so that
the new guy could have some impact.

Otherwise, he is being put there as an operative of cabinet, again the = PM and
his group.

I don't know what changes would be made but certainly retroactivity = would be one.

I would substitute this with a general freeze on the program for a = period to allow
full processing. This is essentially what the high = passmark does but with retro, it
leaves a very bad taste in many voting = mouths.

--=20 Good luck,

All opinions expressed are IMHO, not anyone else's

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 17th 2002, 6:56 am
Ihate Spam

Hello, everybody,

Thank you very much for your posts. Far from interested in triggering some flaming, I
am very interested in any (needless to say, personal and subjective) impressions you
guys may have on how will this change affect the proposed regulations and system
performance. Being new to Canadian politics, I have formed some picture of Ms.
Caplan's personality, but know nothing about Mr. Coderre.

I think I will be kept in the dark by my visa post for at least 6 - 9+ months more
before they share with me any status update re. my Independent PR application. In the
meantime, I definitely appreciate your comments that let me sense the overall
new-regulations topic mood swings. I hope this change either promotes some changes
(lower pass mark or no retroactivity, please?) but my wishful thinking is obviously
biased. Lacking any formal status updates, your (subjectively statistically averaged)
comments help me take some short term decisions about my career plans for the next
1-2 years.

Once again, thank you for your posts. Much like everybody else, I'm just waiting for
the revised regulations on February.... After a somehow unpleasant surprise on
December (I had seen the proposed regulations long before, I knew they might result
in my application denial, but new nothing about proposed pass mark and
retroactivity), I may be getting a little lucky, after all.

Regards,

Pac

"James Metcalfe" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I can understand that there are other reasons for the reshuffling besides Brian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Tobin leaving, but to consider that being a minister of CCRA as a demotion? Could[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you please enlighten me how that is a demotion?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Heather[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I dont know where AM gets the impression that this is a routine shuffle[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > that is not how it has been portrayed in Central Canada. Tobin did not[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > the shuffle he was a casualty of the shuffle. Most pundits have agreed[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > Caplan was taost and this is evidenced by her demotion and the rise of Caudere.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Time will tell if there are any major changes to the proposed[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > but my money is on major changes particularly to retroactivity. It is[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > for a new Minister to back off from unpopular legislation than the one[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > championed it in parliament.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Jim Metcalfe[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 17th 2002, 7:14 am
Andrew Miller

I don't think that we will know anything about the direction new minister will take
for another several weeks. Mr. Caderre has to be brought up to speed with CIC
structure, procedures and all other details before making any public announcements.
Let's wait till the second publication of regulations on February 9th (if it will not
be delayed) with trying to form any opinion. Remember that the minister is in charge
of CIC but is a political appointee and makes decisions based on two principles -
recommendations of his subordinates in CIC (real authors of the law and regulations)
and political directions and/or pressure from his party and PM. If the reason behind
Mr. Caderre's appointment was rewarding the rising star of Liberal Party (and PM's
protégé) then we shouldn't expect any major changes as former minister Caplan was
also from the same party, listening and reporting to the same PM and was in charge of
the same people in CIC.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"IHate Spam" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Heather:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I think I could start by asking you who were the last 5 ministers in charge of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the CCRA.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Jim metcalfe[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I can understand that there are other reasons for the reshuffling besides Brian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Tobin leaving, but to consider that being a minister of CCRA as a demotion?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Could you please enlighten me how that is a demotion?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Heather[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > I dont know where AM gets the impression that this is a routine shuffle[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > that is not how it has been portrayed in Central Canada. Tobin did not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > cause[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > the shuffle he was a casualty of the shuffle. Most pundits have agreed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Caplan was taost and this is evidenced by her demotion and the rise of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Caudere. Time will tell if there are any major changes to the proposed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > regs[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > but my money is on major changes particularly to retroactivity. It is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > easier[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > for a new Minister to back off from unpopular legislation than the one[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > championed it in parliament.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Jim Metcalfe[/usenetquote2]
    >