Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Mr.Miller, what are the grounds for such evaluation?

Wikiposts

Mr.Miller, what are the grounds for such evaluation?

Old Jun 15th 2002, 4:20 am
Steve

Default Mr.Miller, what are the grounds for such evaluation?

Mr. Miller,

Your advise would be appreciated.

10 years of schooling plus 5 year university degree at Bachelor level (full-time
studies). Proceeding from the grid I would expect to be awarded 22 rather than
20 points.

But you confirmed the following is correct: "Bachelor of arts (15 years of full time
study). One degree only = 20 points." What are the grounds for that?

Why do you place the qualifications into

"(ii) a two-year university educational credential at the bachelor's level and a
total of at least 14 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies;"

instead of

"(i) a three-year post-secondary educational credential, other than a university
educational credential, and a total of at least 15 years of completed full-time or
full-time equivalent studies, or
(ii) two or more university educational credentials at the bachelor's level and a
total of at least 15 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent
studies; and…"

Thank you! Steve

Old Jun 15th 2002, 5:20 am
Andrew Miller

Default Re: Mr.Miller, what are the grounds for such evaluation?

You have to ask our government for their reasons behind giving more points for
non-university diploma than for Bachelor degree - but possible "suspect" is the
extreme shortage of skilled trades people in Canada.

It is not me who "places" anything anywhere. Regulations are absolutely clear - a
single Bachelor degree with at least 14 years of study gets awarded 20 points. It is
not "placed" into the same group as **two university level credentials...** or a
**three year post secondary credential, other than university credential..** as it is
not either one of those two.

It is still better than the proposed in December selection grid which required at
least 15 years of education with Bachelor degree to get 20 points.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Mr. Miller,
    >
    > Your advise would be appreciated.
    >
    > 10 years of schooling plus 5 year university degree at Bachelor level (full-time
    > studies). Proceeding from the grid I would expect to be awarded 22 rather than
    > 20 points.
    >
    > But you confirmed the following is correct: "Bachelor of arts (15 years of full
    > time study). One degree only = 20 points." What are the grounds for that?
    >
    > Why do you place the qualifications into
    >
    > "(ii) a two-year university educational credential at the bachelor's level and a
    > total of at least 14 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies;"
    >
    > instead of
    >
    > "(i) a three-year post-secondary educational credential, other than a university
    > educational credential, and a total of at least 15 years of completed full-time or
    > full-time equivalent studies, or
    > (ii) two or more university educational credentials at the bachelor's level and a
    > total of at least 15 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent
    > studies; and."
    >
    > Thank you! Steve

Old Jun 15th 2002, 3:20 pm
Steve

Mr. Miller,

Thanks for your comments.

I would not say the Regulations are "absolutely clear" with respect to the issue.
They leave room for suggestions.

The grid adds up points for every extra year of university education. If this is the
case we could suggest education at Bachelor level after 5 years of full-time
university studies should be valued higher than that received after 2 or 3 years of
studies. Isn't it fair and logical?

You are right, a 5-year university degree at Bachelor level does not belong to either
of the two mentioned. But it does not belong to "a two-year university educational
credential at the bachelor's level and a total of at least 14 years of completed
full-time or full-time equivalent studies" as well, does it?

Grey areas of the Regulations leave uncertain a huge group of potential applicants.
Once you mentioned here you have offices in the former Soviet Union. I believe you
know Russian, Ukrainian and other universities (about 600 state universities in
Russia only!) have 5-years programs for education at Bachelor level. More than that,
the schooling lasts 10 years.

If you are right in your assumption I dare to suggest it's a sort of discrimination
of a huge group of people or just a result of negligence. Which one is the case?

I realize that you "do not place". Sorry, no offense.

Thank you! Steve

Old Jun 15th 2002, 4:20 pm
Andrew Miller

It is not about the fairness or the kind of logic you try to use here and it is not a
discrimination at all. Extra 2 points for trades people are the result of labour
market demand, it is nothing against Bachelor degrees. Simply stating - we have many
more applicants with Bachelor degrees then those with badly needed trade diplomas and
skills, while our economy is experiencing already much bigger and rapidly increasing
shortage of trades people on the market when there is plenty of people with Bachelor
degrees for whom there are no jobs. And this is what 22 points is all about. Simply -
supply and demand balancing...

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Mr. Miller,
    >
    > Thanks for your comments.
    >
    > I would not say the Regulations are "absolutely clear" with respect to the issue.
    > They leave room for suggestions.
    >
    > The grid adds up points for every extra year of university education. If this is
    > the case we could suggest education at Bachelor level after 5 years of full-time
    > university studies should be valued higher than that received after 2 or 3 years of
    > studies. Isn't it fair and logical?
    >
    > You are right, a 5-year university degree at Bachelor level does not belong to
    > either of the two mentioned. But it does not belong to "a two-year university
    > educational credential at the bachelor's level and a total of at least 14 years of
    > completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies" as well, does it?
    >
    > Grey areas of the Regulations leave uncertain a huge group of potential applicants.
    > Once you mentioned here you have offices in the former Soviet Union. I believe you
    > know Russian, Ukrainian and other universities (about 600 state universities in
    > Russia only!) have 5-years programs for education at Bachelor level. More than
    > that, the schooling lasts 10 years.
    >
    > If you are right in your assumption I dare to suggest it's a sort of discrimination
    > of a huge group of people or just a result of negligence. Which one is the case?
    >
    > I realize that you "do not place". Sorry, no offense.
    >
    > Thank you! Steve