Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Mr. Miller, please advice on new spousal policy

Mr. Miller, please advice on new spousal policy

Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:32 am
Just Joined

patient-spouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr. Miller, please advice on new spousal policy

Mr. Miller,

Today CIC has announced the implementation of a new policy to allow spouses to reunite with their families while the application is processed outside. Under this new policy, can I join my family and obtain a work permit while my application is being processed in Buffalo? I currently hold a multiple-entry visitor visa valid for the next 7 months. My application in Bufalo is in its 11th month of processing, my interview has been waived, so I presume they are performing background/security checks.

This is the link on the new policy http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/press/05/0504-e.html

Thanks for your comments and advise, they will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:50 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr. Miller, please advice on new spousal policy

If you have valid visa then you have no problem coming here for up to 6 months (if admitted for maximum period). New policy will then allow you to remain in Canada beyond granted admission if needed. Just make sure to be honest at the border and disclose the fact of having pending PR application.

Just to make sure that others (especially those outside Canada with no visas) on't misinterpret this new policy -

** It is not intended to make any changes for those who are abroad and don't have TRV **

They will have to continue waiting abroad, unless they can obtain TRV or are from visa waiver country.

Originally Posted by patient-spouse
Mr. Miller,

Today CIC has announced the implementation of a new policy to allow spouses to reunite with their families while the application is processed outside. Under this new policy, can I join my family and obtain a work permit while my application is being processed in Buffalo? I currently hold a multiple-entry visitor visa valid for the next 7 months. My application in Bufalo is in its 11th month of processing, my interview has been waived, so I presume they are performing background/security checks.

This is the link on the new policy http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/press/05/0504-e.html

Thanks for your comments and advise, they will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:55 am
Just Joined

patient-spouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If you have valid visa then you have no problem coming here for up to 6 months (if admitted for maximum period). New policy will then allow you to remain in Canada beyond granted admission if needed. Just make sure to be honest at the border and disclose the fact of having pending PR application.

Just to make sure that others (especially those outside Canada with no visas) on't misinterpret this new policy -

** It is not intended to make any changes for those who are abroad and don't have TRV **

They will have to continue waiting abroad, unless they can obtain TRV or are from visa waiver country.
Mr. Miller, thanks a million for your quick response. One more question, how the new policy increases my elegibility for a temporary work permit in Canada? Thanks!!!
Old Feb 18th 2005, 6:07 am

It has no impact on work permits eligibility.

Originally Posted by patient-spouse
Mr. Miller, thanks a million for your quick response. One more question, how the new policy increases my elegibility for a temporary work permit in Canada? Thanks!!!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

blairwitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully someone can give me some insight into how (if at all) this will effect my case.
I have an outside Canada spousal application pending:
We have yet to hear if MrBW has been approved to sponsor, but hope to have that sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Now I guess what I would like to know:
Will this improve timeframes of applications processed outside of Canada at all?
and
Coming from a visa waiver country, would it make it easier for me to enter Canada to wait it out with my husband? As an outside applicatant would I still need to make sure my visa was valid for the entire time, or would I be exempt aswell?

Thanks for any replies!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:28 am

This policy won't have any impact on your case. It is only intended to open the opportunity to apply from within Canada and remain in Canada to those who were previously not eligible for any of those.

Originally Posted by blairwitch
Hopefully someone can give me some insight into how (if at all) this will effect my case.
I have an outside Canada spousal application pending:
We have yet to hear if MrBW has been approved to sponsor, but hope to have that sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Now I guess what I would like to know:
Will this improve timeframes of applications processed outside of Canada at all?
and
Coming from a visa waiver country, would it make it easier for me to enter Canada to wait it out with my husband? As an outside applicatant would I still need to make sure my visa was valid for the entire time, or would I be exempt aswell?

Thanks for any replies!