Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Mr Miller a moment of your time please.

Wikiposts

Mr Miller a moment of your time please.

Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:20 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr Miller a moment of your time please.

Sorry to butt in, but are you sure it's the times you're reading and not the mail?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought the phrase was "do gooders" and not "doo gooders" (what is that!). Typically used alongside "so called" and "brigade" for reasons beknownst only to the right wing press and their readership.

I am always amazed by people who don't see the hypocrisy in saying "too many immigrants in the UK, I'm emigrating", I suspect what they actually mean is "too many 'non-white' immigrants in the UK, I'm emigrating".

There are many white "immigrants", both illegal and legal, living here in Bangkok, a lot of whom cannot speak a word of Thai and have no intention of learning any (I am here legally, and speak the language passably). No-one complains about them, at least not with the vitriol you get in the UK.

Alan

Last edited by Alan2005; Aug 30th 2007 at 8:07 pm. Reason: Correct typo
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

grthespark is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I always thought the phrase was "do gooders" and not "doo gooders" (what is that!). Typically used alongside "so called" and "brigade" for reasons beknownst only to the right wing press and their readership.

I am always amazed by people who don't see the hypocrisy in saying "too many immigrants in the UK, I'm emigrating", I suspect what they actually mean is "too many 'non-white' immigrants in the UK, I'm emigrating".

There are many white "immigrants", both illegal and legal, living here in Bangkok, a lot of whom cannot speak a word of Thai and have no intention of learning any (I am here legally, and speak the language passably). No-one complains about them, at least not with the vitriol you get in the UK.

Alan
Hi Alan, & Jericho,

I dont really want to get into this with you guys as "Bazz" misunderstood me completley.

He for some reason was making out I was a racist biggot! Which is utter & complete rubbish. I actually employ Two Indians for Gods sake & have Asian & Indian friends who also own business's.

The funny thing is I disscussed this with them last night & they actually agree with me!

My point was this:

I dont care who comes to the Uk Pink, Yellow, Black, Green with spots, The point I was making is:

Surely a more secure process is needed for people entering the UK ie. If they can speak a little English that makes them employable, which is a good thing for there own general well being, at least they would feel they are contributing.

Bazz seemed to think it was ok for the Uk to be flooded with people who can't speak a word of English, which nowmakes them un-employable so now we have a situation where there are thousands who cannot hold a job because they cannot communicate so who is going to House them, Feed them, Care for them,

Hence the very situation we have now all the services are at bursting point! Health system, Schools, Roads, etc etc..

So if you think of it like a business as in Bazz's line of thinking you eventually end up going bust!

You have 5 workers in a factory all working, they each are taxed £10.00pr week.

Suddenly, you now have another 5 workers come into the factory who cannot work as they cannot answer the phone. But they do now need to be Fed, Clothed & housed.

So now instead of the workers being taxed £10.00pr week you now have to announce its going to be £20.00pr week to pay for the guys sat on the side!

Hence something has to give! Now multiply that scenario on a grander scale.

Again I'm not saying all take advantage of the system but a large majority do
read "The Times" from a few weeks ago it will just confirm what I have said, there was an article yesterday in "The Daily Express" from an MP! saying the same thing.

Yet I do sympathise with the immigrants plight, & its not really there fault as they just want a better life I understand all that. Its the "Fat Cats" we call the British Goverments fault.

They are paid, & paid well to do a job of responsibility, they should have seen this coming 10 years ago & prepared for it not sit back wait for it to reach fever pitch then say we got a problem!

Its the same scenario for the Jail system we are letting out serious criminals on the streets because we have no space left to house them. They then half way through a sentence commit another offence of Rape, Mugging, or what ever it may be & we cant house them!

Again they should have seen this coming, not let them out on the run to do more serious crime & then start to build more prisons! How stupid is that?

To conclude: Its laughable what Bazz said, I'm not racist at all as I say I many business collleague's & friends from all backgrounds.

The ironic thing is when I told One of them last night what Bazz said he just laughed at his comments, in fact we all did.

My friend then added he is thinking of selling his business & moving back to India, he too is fed up with the UK & the conitual overcrowding!

I ask you: How on earth is that being racist? Its easy to sit in Canada like Bazz & make the stupid comments he made when non of this has no affect on him! I'd be real intrigured to know his real reasons thats for sure..

G
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:00 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, I'd rather see immigrant workers who cant speak a word of english than pay taxes to support the huge number of english people who refuse to work.
I dont see how it matters if someone can speak english or not really. They'll pick it up anyhow- as long as they're prepared to contribute, that's all I'm bothered about. I'd consider moving to non english speaking countries myself.
What I detest is the sheer number of English people on benefits, decked out in designer cloths, smoke 20/30 a day, go out at weekends, can afford holidays etc, whilst the hard working joe is struggling along with the recent interest rate increases, mortgages, car payments, etc.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

grthespark is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jericho
To be honest, I'd rather see immigrant workers who cant speak a word of english than pay taxes to support the huge number of english people who refuse to work.
I dont see how it matters if someone can speak english or not really. They'll pick it up anyhow- as long as they're prepared to contribute, that's all I'm bothered about. I'd consider moving to non english speaking countries myself.
What I detest is the sheer number of English people on benefits, decked out in designer cloths, smoke 20/30 a day, go out at weekends, can afford holidays etc, whilst the hard working joe is struggling along with the recent interest rate increases, mortgages, car payments, etc.
Jericho,

I agree with you 100% I do alot of business with the DHSS in this country ie. work is carried out for people on benefits & all our invoices are sent to the DHSS for payment.

Yet the people from all backgrounds can walk, have a pair of eye's, yet choose to sit on their backsides watching Jeremy Kyle with 20 fags Can of lager & a bag of crisps then they might if they are not to tired go to the bookies at lunch time.

As I say, I dont blame them at all its the system in place that allows them to be able to abuse it in this way.

As regards the language thing. Some, not all would see this challenge in a new country as a huge challenge & not bother at all especially when they can call on an interpreter for free!

Again the system makes it to easy for them to do this. Many a medical staff we deal with in hospitals on a weekly basis say they have people coming into the place for treatment they have been here for years, but never learn't to speak the language as they often have family with them to translate or as I say an Intepreter..

It really is a terrible circle a situation that was created by neglect from the B/Gov really

Gary
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:43 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

God, this is almost too depressing for words. Please note: the opinion of a columnist in a gutter-level tabloid isn't the same as verifiable fact. There are a number of reasons why public services in the UK might be failing. The contribution of what might constitute maybe 1% of the population is unlikely to be one of them. If you have statistics (and not "I read it in the Express so it must be true") that conflict with this, then please post them.

Initiatives such as PFI, an increasingly aging population and the high prices of drugs sold by pharmaceutical companies are probably more important.

I don't need my office cleaner to speak fluent English.

Incidentally, you should be aware of Canada's multicultural policies - LOADS of people live here without speaking English (or French), and there's very little pressure on them to learn. I'm sure you'll be apoplectic when you encounter your first ATM that offers you a choice of English, French or Cantonese.

It's weird how the internet makes you feel obliged to respond to people who in "real life" you'd just roll your eyes at and walk away.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by grthespark
Or was you kicked out?
Originally Posted by grthespark
I can no longer receive threads from you has you are now blocked.
That is definitely a 'doo-gooder' Brit's English

Your stand for the cause of English is admirable though Immigrants should put in an effort to learn the language(s) of the country that has given them the chance to settle there.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew has answered the question and as it's subsequently descended into a slanging match, thread is now closed.