Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Mr. Miller, Jim - Can an officer be influenced?

Mr. Miller, Jim - Can an officer be influenced?

Old May 27th 2004, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

c564ede5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr. Miller, Jim - Can an officer be influenced?

I have a tough question, one you will find very unusual. However, I would ask you to approach it with an open mind - and give me your full insight as you claim to have been a former visa officer / consultant.

Imagine a situation in which a skilled worker candidate has an almost perfect applciation with one flaw (not a point-relevant flaw). Don't ask me for specifics, however - I mean something that does not necessarily disqualifies an applicant but has some negative aspect to the application.

Question is: DOES IT EVER help to write a "personal" letter to CIC explaining the situation (even though the required paperwork gives on officer full fact anyway) or you can call it "trying to excuse" the situation, hoping for a more "humane" look at that negative piece of the application?

Considering there are MANY applicants on this forum who treat Canada as a second choice (not a real, true one as prescribed by the PR rules) while their USA green card is in process, clearly there are two types of candidates - ones who want to stay in the USA and do Canadian PR as a safety net and the ones who TRULY want to become Candatian citizens and intend on establishing there immediately (these are the ones CIC should really care about, isn't it, realistically...?).

In this light and in the light of my first question, would it help, while explaining the flaw in the application, to state that the applicant is dead serious about moving to Canada and that Canada is our only life choice and nothing else (as opposed to some other candidates)- therefore we, especially, hope to receive this life chance from the CIC?

In other words, can an officer be influenced by a personal letter in any tiniest percent or is the application ALWAYS and exclusively looked upon using only COLD, UNMERICFUL facts, regardless of anything extra an applicant might send in?

PS. I will repeat again - that "flaw" as I seem to refer to it, is NEVER mentioned in any official paperwork as a disqualifying factor (such as for example, a criminal record, major health problem, etc), therefore I am not asking you whether a personal letter will excuse an obvious refusal of the application. Great thanks for any insightful answers to that.
Old May 27th 2004, 2:33 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr. Miller, Jim - Can an officer be influenced?

Explanation note is always better than no explanation at all.

Originally posted by c564ede5
I have a tough question, one you will find very unusual. However, I would ask you to approach it with an open mind - and give me your full insight as you claim to have been a former visa officer / consultant.

Imagine a situation in which a skilled worker candidate has an almost perfect applciation with one flaw (not a point-relevant flaw). Don't ask me for specifics, however - I mean something that does not necessarily disqualifies an applicant but has some negative aspect to the application.

Question is: DOES IT EVER help to write a "personal" letter to CIC explaining the situation (even though the required paperwork gives on officer full fact anyway) or you can call it "trying to excuse" the situation, hoping for a more "humane" look at that negative piece of the application?

Considering there are MANY applicants on this forum who treat Canada as a second choice (not a real, true one as prescribed by the PR rules) while their USA green card is in process, clearly there are two types of candidates - ones who want to stay in the USA and do Canadian PR as a safety net and the ones who TRULY want to become Candatian citizens and intend on establishing there immediately (these are the ones CIC should really care about, isn't it, realistically...?).

In this light and in the light of my first question, would it help, while explaining the flaw in the application, to state that the applicant is dead serious about moving to Canada and that Canada is our only life choice and nothing else (as opposed to some other candidates)- therefore we, especially, hope to receive this life chance from the CIC?

In other words, can an officer be influenced by a personal letter in any tiniest percent or is the application ALWAYS and exclusively looked upon using only COLD, UNMERICFUL facts, regardless of anything extra an applicant might send in?

PS. I will repeat again - that "flaw" as I seem to refer to it, is NEVER mentioned in any official paperwork as a disqualifying factor (such as for example, a criminal record, major health problem, etc), therefore I am not asking you whether a personal letter will excuse an obvious refusal of the application. Great thanks for any insightful answers to that.