Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Mr Miller Help please - landing confussed?

Wikiposts

Mr Miller Help please - landing confussed?

Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Nikie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr Miller Help please - landing confussed?

Hi I hope someone can help. My partner is a Canadian citizen with an English passport that has been living with me in England for the last two years. He has sponsored me for PR.

We plan to take a short LANDING trip later this week and then return about six months later for good.

I am compiling my lists of personal effects.

We do not own much...no home, car, jewellrey....so the list is not very long. However, we do plan to ship a box of all the things we are not taking with us this week later in the year.

Do I have to put everything down on a list of goods to follow or can we just import it all as his possessions...it's only CD's, clothes etc.

Thanks, Nikie
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:28 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Miller Help please - landing confussed?

Hi

Originally Posted by Nikie
Hi I hope someone can help. My partner is a Canadian citizen with an English passport that has been living with me in England for the last two years. He has sponsored me for PR.

We plan to take a short LANDING trip later this week and then return about six months later for good.

I am compiling my lists of personal effects.

We do not own much...no home, car, jewellrey....so the list is not very long. However, we do plan to ship a box of all the things we are not taking with us this week later in the year.

Do I have to put everything down on a list of goods to follow or can we just import it all as his possessions...it's only CD's, clothes etc.

Thanks, Nikie
Your choice, as long as it less than $10K which former Canadian resident can bring back in used goods.

PMM
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Hi PMM

Could you point me in the direction of some more info on this please?

I landed at YYZ in June and filled in the landing card on the plane. I saw that Canadian residents/citizens could bring in goods but there were different values according to how long they had been out of the country. I thought it said you could bring in $750-worth of goods if you had been out of the country for seven days or more.

I've never seen the $10k figure so I would be interested in reading more info on this in case it applies to me.

cheers

Suze

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Your choice, as long as it less than $10K which former Canadian resident can bring back in used goods.

PMM

Last edited by Suzey; Jul 10th 2006 at 9:13 am.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

ijstewart is on a distinguished road

I can't find a link on the website but I do have a booklet called "Moving Back to Canada" from the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency which clearly states on page 4 that as a returning resident (after an absence of at least 1 year) that you may import your household and personal effects if you have owned, possessed and used these items.

Any single personal or household item which is worth more than $10 000 is subject to applicable duties and taxes on the amount over $10 000.

Also, when you return as a resident you are entitled to a personal exemption of $750 for goods you aquired abroad this can include alcohol and tobacco.

I have been in the UK now for 9 years and will be returning in about 6 months with my Goods to Follow list in hand for all of our household items. OH could have submitted it when he landed on Saturday but we want to use the packing list from the removal company and haven't quite moved yet - 2 more weeks. I hope this has been of some help, if I can find a link to something on the website I will let you know. Best of luck

Jayne

Here is the pamplet, hope the link works: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4105/rc4105-e.pdf

Last edited by ijstewart; Jul 10th 2006 at 9:29 am. Reason: found link
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Mr Miller Help please - landing confussed?

Hi Jayne

Thanks very much for your help. I wasn't told this info at Customs when I landed - just that I could bring my household stuff as long as I had owned, possessed and used them prior to immigration.

Nobody mentioned the $10k limit either...

I landed in June of this year and am thinking about moving for good next March. I will have a look at the link you posted

I'm currently trying to decide what to ship and what to leave. I bet it will be cheaper to buy everything when I go to TO rather than ship what I have (I'm thinking bed, bookcases etc).

cheers!

Suze

Originally Posted by ijstewart
I can't find a link on the website but I do have a booklet called "Moving Back to Canada" from the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency which clearly states on page 4 that as a returning resident (after an absence of at least 1 year) that you may import your household and personal effects if you have owned, possessed and used these items.

Any single personal or household item which is worth more than $10 000 is subject to applicable duties and taxes on the amount over $10 000.

Also, when you return as a resident you are entitled to a personal exemption of $750 for goods you aquired abroad this can include alcohol and tobacco.

I have been in the UK now for 9 years and will be returning in about 6 months with my Goods to Follow list in hand for all of our household items. OH could have submitted it when he landed on Saturday but we want to use the packing list from the removal company and haven't quite moved yet - 2 more weeks. I hope this has been of some help, if I can find a link to something on the website I will let you know. Best of luck

Jayne

Here is the pamplet, hope the link works: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4105/rc4105-e.pdf
Old Jul 10th 2006, 11:14 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You are confusing two completely separate matters.

As new immigrant you are allowed to bring all your possessions tax and duty free (regardless of total value) at the time of landing as a PR or at later date, providing that you declared those items when landing by providing list of goods to follow at later date to examining customs officer.

You are not a returning resident as you haven't resided in Canada yet.

Your husband is a returning resident and subject to $10,000 limit.

Originally Posted by Suzey
Hi Jayne

Thanks very much for your help. I wasn't told this info at Customs when I landed - just that I could bring my household stuff as long as I had owned, possessed and used them prior to immigration.

Nobody mentioned the $10k limit either...

I landed in June of this year and am thinking about moving for good next March. I will have a look at the link you posted

I'm currently trying to decide what to ship and what to leave. I bet it will be cheaper to buy everything when I go to TO rather than ship what I have (I'm thinking bed, bookcases etc).

cheers!

Suze
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Could you please show me where it mentions the $10 000 total limit for returning residents? In any literature I have it only states that no single item can be over $10 000. I have the Moving Back to Canada pamplet in front of me and is doesn't say anywhere about a $10 000 total only "that any single item over $10 000 will be sugjuect to the duties and taxes on the amount that is over $10 000".
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:30 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Who said anything in this thread about "$10K total limit"?

Originally Posted by ijstewart
Could you please show me where it mentions the $10 000 total limit for returning residents? In any literature I have it only states that no single item can be over $10 000. I have the Moving Back to Canada pamplet in front of me and is doesn't say anywhere about a $10 000 total only "that any single item over $10 000 will be sugjuect to the duties and taxes on the amount that is over $10 000".
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, I gather there is a bit of confusion here - PMM 2nd thread mentioned a $10K limit, I was just trying to clarify that it was only one single item valued greater than $10K not the total value of goods that was subject to duties and tax.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Who said anything in this thread about "$10K total limit"?