Mr.Miller/experts - advice pls!!!

Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:49 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr.Miller/experts - advice pls!!!

Mr.Miller/expats experts...
I have just received a rather worrying e-mail from a prospective employer who has just spent the last month or so trying to get me over on a work permit. They have now heard back from Service Canada and seem to be having problems getting the request agreed.
I know that only a certain number of work permits are issued each year. Could it be that it has been denied because we are so late in the year and they are up to quota? Would it be better to reapply in the New Year?
I am a qualified carpenter/joiner and general multi-trade builder also - apparently there is supposed to be a dire shortage of skilled craftsmen so have you any idea what the problem could be other than incorrect form filling?
We always thought that getting a work permit was fairly straight forward if you skills were in demand - please advise.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:10 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr.Miller/experts - advice pls!!!

There is no quota for work permits. And it is not employer who applies for it either - it is you who must apply for work permit after receiving from employer a proper job offer wirg Labour Market Opinion (job offer validation) from HRSDC. Seems that your employer has problem getting positive LMO from HRSDC - there are many reasons for it. It may be that employer didn't advertise position properly across Canada and didn't prove that there are no Canadians available for the job or that advertised terms of employment are not sufficient to attract and retain Canadians, or any od few other reasons, but those are the most common.

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Mr.Miller/expats experts...
I have just received a rather worrying e-mail from a prospective employer who has just spent the last month or so trying to get me over on a work permit. They have now heard back from Service Canada and seem to be having problems getting the request agreed.
I know that only a certain number of work permits are issued each year. Could it be that it has been denied because we are so late in the year and they are up to quota? Would it be better to reapply in the New Year?
I am a qualified carpenter/joiner and general multi-trade builder also - apparently there is supposed to be a dire shortage of skilled craftsmen so have you any idea what the problem could be other than incorrect form filling?
We always thought that getting a work permit was fairly straight forward if you skills were in demand - please advise.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:23 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
There is no quota for work permits. And it is not employer who applies for it either - it is you who must apply for work permit after receiving from employer a proper job offer wirg Labour Market Opinion (job offer validation) from HRSDC. Seems that your employer has problem getting positive LMO from HRSDC - there are many reasons for it. It may be that employer didn't advertise position properly across Canada and didn't prove that there are no Canadians available for the job or that advertised terms of employment are not sufficient to attract and retain Canadians, or any od few other reasons, but those are the most common.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I guess what we are waiting for is the LMO from the HRSDC. The company have advertised on the job bank for candidates since mid-summer and have not managed to fill the 4 foremen jobs that they had advertised. I originally e-mailed them back in August and they said that they would look into it, it was then agreed that they would try to facilitate my work permit application. Now that the LMO has been 'declined' do they have grounds for appeal. I know that they have now got a contact name and number. Is there anything that they can do to 'prove' that they can't find a Canadian to fill the position. The job itself is fairly well paid for carpentry so I can't see that being an issue. We have an application for PR going through at the moment but due to the processing times at the moment and that fact that we have got a teenager, we decided on the work permit option to see us through. Now it looks like our 'bubble has burst' and its back to playing the waiting game again.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 11:32 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

There is nothing to appeal - they didn't prove their case to HRSDC due to one of reasons I have mentioned earlier. Once they fix problem and/or eliminate those reasons then they can apply again.

Job offer may have "fair" in your opinion compensation stated but it may not be enough in eyes of HRSDC. Or employer didn't prove that there are no Canadians for the job, or employer didn't document conclusively being in business and having full time employees for at least past 12 months. If it is company younger than 12 months and/or without full time employees in at least past 12 months then they won't get LMO.

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Thanks for the prompt reply. I guess what we are waiting for is the LMO from the HRSDC. The company have advertised on the job bank for candidates since mid-summer and have not managed to fill the 4 foremen jobs that they had advertised. I originally e-mailed them back in August and they said that they would look into it, it was then agreed that they would try to facilitate my work permit application. Now that the LMO has been 'declined' do they have grounds for appeal. I know that they have now got a contact name and number. Is there anything that they can do to 'prove' that they can't find a Canadian to fill the position. The job itself is fairly well paid for carpentry so I can't see that being an issue. We have an application for PR going through at the moment but due to the processing times at the moment and that fact that we have got a teenager, we decided on the work permit option to see us through. Now it looks like our 'bubble has burst' and its back to playing the waiting game again.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Dec 14th 2005 at 11:35 am.