Mr Miller Can You Help Please?

Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

blueeyes2002 will become famous soon enoughblueeyes2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Mr Miller Can You Help Please?

Dear Mr Miller,

Please can you ive me some advise. My husband is in the process of adopting my son, I have to do this too. Please can you advise what/if any hurdles I'm going to come across when I apply to sponsor them both.....

I've had a look at the CIC site, and I'm more confused now than I was before....

Many Thanks In Advance

Sandra
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:04 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr Miller Can You Help Please?

Adoptions mixed with immigration are rather complex matters and should be dealt with by professional.

I'm confused by you saying that you have to adopt your own son...

Originally Posted by blueeyes2002
Dear Mr Miller,

Please can you ive me some advise. My husband is in the process of adopting my son, I have to do this too. Please can you advise what/if any hurdles I'm going to come across when I apply to sponsor them both.....

I've had a look at the CIC site, and I'm more confused now than I was before....

Many Thanks In Advance

Sandra
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

blueeyes2002 will become famous soon enoughblueeyes2002 will become famous soon enough

Under Guernsey(UK) law, as my son was born before my husband and I got married, I have to adopt him into my married name when my husband completes the step-parent adoption.

Whom would you recommend that I contact?

Many Thanks

Sandra
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:13 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

I know nothing about UK law, but it sounds strange that you have to adopt your own son just because you got married and changed your name. Are you sure that you are talking about adoption process, not the name change process?

If you were Canadian citizen when your son was born then he is a Canadian citizen too and doesn't need to be sponsored.

Originally Posted by blueeyes2002
Under Guernsey(UK) law, as my son was born before my husband and I got married, I have to adopt him into my married name when my husband completes the step-parent adoption.

Whom would you recommend that I contact?

Many Thanks

Sandra
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

but it sounds strange that you have to adopt your own son just because you got married and changed your name. Are you sure that you are talking about adoption process, not the name change process?
I agree with you.I wasn't too happy about it at first, but in order for my husband to proceed I have to do it too. If I could have just changed his name by deed poll, I would have done, but it wasn't possible.

The adoption process does differ slightly from an international adoption as a lot of the information doesn't need to be supplied, such as medicals etc, and it it a lot quicker. But at the end of it he will have a new birth certificate issued stating that he is the adopted child of XXXXXXXXXXX

Unfortunatly I wasn't a citizen when he was born.....

Thanks

Sandra