Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Mr. Jim !! Two Master's Degrees a drawback?

Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

macoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mr. Jim !! Two Master's Degrees a drawback?

As a former visa officer, what do you think about this?

----------------------------------------------------------------

I just saw my recent CAIPS today and noticed the following.

In the initial assessment section, they noted

Education: June 200X - Master of Science, XXX University, Canada

** Subject is currently enrolled in a second master's degree, XXX XXX program at XXX University

It seems to me that the second master study was particularly marked for some reason. What is the rationale behind such a feeling from the perspectives of a visa officer?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mr. Jim !! Two Master's Degrees a drawback?

Macoy, on my CAIPS it says "Subject currently enrolled in a doctoral program." I think they just note what your highest level of education is. I also have two Master's degrees--I can't imagine it will do anything other than to bolster your application, especially if they are in two different fields.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:21 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not a drawback. There are 2 reasons to point out the fact that applicant is studying in Canada - one is to check later how far she or he is and if the education will be useful in establishing in Canada and the other one is to see if applicant is seeking PR status just to save on international tuition fees.

Originally Posted by macoy

As a former visa officer, what do you think about this?

----------------------------------------------------------------

I just saw my recent CAIPS today and noticed the following.

In the initial assessment section, they noted

Education: June 200X - Master of Science, XXX University, Canada

** Subject is currently enrolled in a second master's degree, XXX XXX program at XXX University

It seems to me that the second master study was particularly marked for some reason. What is the rationale behind such a feeling from the perspectives of a visa officer?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

macoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is not a drawback. There are 2 reasons to point out the fact that applicant is studying in Canada - one is to check later how far she or he is and if the education will be useful in establishing in Canada and the other one is to see if applicant is seeking PR status just to save on international tuition fees.
as always, thanks again for your insightful input.

my current master program is only for one year and is approaching the completion by the end of this summar. maybe they will issue me the Passport request right before my graduation.

regarding "see if applicant is seeking PR status just to save on international tuition fees", I did hear quite a few cases in which CIC might purposely delayed the applications until the applicants were very close to the graduation. That is specifically obvious when the student is seeking Ph.D. degree.